Jordan Amavi

Villaphan04

7 hours ago, nick76 said:

Really, the only way you get better is by getting players better than you already have, getting players better than your current position in the league.  Therefore you have to concede on somethings in hope that with some other players you can move up to that level and those players dont leave or if they do you can then attract players on the next step above that.  Plus we didnt expect, despite recent league positions to be relegated.  Also some of the other concessions we may have had to give may have been worse than this i.e. silly wages, which lock you in for the term of the contract and then you have the Zogbia situation.  At the end of the day we didnt expect at the start of the season to be relegated and then we go and get relegated, there lies in our problem because it was an easy concession.

We should have considered it a possibility as it seems Jordan's agent did by seeking a relegation clause in the contract in the first place. If he does leave for less than half of what we paid for him then whoever agreed to that sort of figure should be out of the door if he is not already but I suspect the clause would be much nearer to what we paid for the player than £4m.

On 5/9/2016 at 23:56, dn1982 said:

Exactly if true! My point is why bother having a relegation wage drop if you're just going to allow the player to leave anyway and lose more than you'd save? So effectively in Amavi case he will cost us £14m if he leaves now I know we are not the best run but that doesn't offer anything for us as you'd be lucky to get that back for a top left back anyway!!! 

I suppose Amavi's situation would be an example of where it works well for the player. Assuming there was no release clause, or drop in wages for the player after relegation, you have a player that now has little option but to play in the Championship next season. He's only played a handful of games and we have no evidence of what condition he's returned to the playing field in, so not many clubs will be queuing up to pay £9m+ to take him off our hands. On the other hand, he's the type of player we would want to keep if we're looking to bounce back at the first attempt, but he's on a full PL wage - which we may not be able to afford. 

No one really wins.

I'm not saying Amavi wants a move away, just using his scenario as an example. FWIW, it would be poor form from the player if we've covered his wages for the whole season only in exchange for a few games, only to see him leave for another club. Having said that, this is his career so you couldn't blame him, but I'd like to think he'd be part of the fight to get us back into the Premier League. 

39 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

I suppose Amavi's situation would be an example of where it works well for the player. Assuming there was no release clause, or drop in wages for the player after relegation, you have a player that now has little option but to play in the Championship next season. He's only played a handful of games and we have no evidence of what condition he's returned to the playing field in, so not many clubs will be queuing up to pay £9m+ to take him off our hands. On the other hand, he's the type of player we would want to keep if we're looking to bounce back at the first attempt, but he's on a full PL wage - which we may not be able to afford. 

No one really wins.

I'm not saying Amavi wants a move away, just using his scenario as an example. FWIW, it would be poor form from the player if we've covered his wages for the whole season only in exchange for a few games, only to see him leave for another club. Having said that, this is his career so you couldn't blame him, but I'd like to think he'd be part of the fight to get us back into the Premier League. 

I think the proving his fitness part maybe the reason he stays and we might get lucky but I can see his agent trying to get him a move. 

• Like 1

Prove match fitness,  I have no doubts he may be off come January but he gets 4 months competitive practice .  Milan or anyone else may appreciate seeing if he is back up to scratch and ready before paying money for him

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

No one really wins.

I think the proving his fitness part maybe the reason he stays and we might get lucky but I can see his agent trying to get him a move. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Should play left wing for us in the championship. 

He's a left back if he can't do that in the Championship he'll never be one!! I actually thought he was good for us there a few mistakes but in the few games he played a lot more positives. 

21 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Dunno, rumours of AC Milan being interested. See no reason why he would stay unless we force him too.

AC Milan have been linked with Veretout as well.

**** me they have fallen from grace haven't they?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dn1982 said:

He's a left back if he can't do that in the Championship he'll never be one!! I actually thought he was good for us there a few mistakes but in the few games he played a lot more positives. 

Does anyone NOT think he was good for us then?

8 hours ago, KHV said:

AC Milan have been linked with Veretout as well.

**** me they have fallen from grace haven't they?

probably also employ Paddy Riley as a scout

Just now, Wainy316 said:

Stoke are probably not far off AC Milan these days tbf

I'd probably back Stoke if those two played, Milan are dreadful these days

• Like 1

Yes. I've argued with a few people on the Holte about Amavi. I think he's a great player but a there's quite a few who don't rate him at all. 

Not only was he far better than any other left back option himself but he probably would've made Rudy twice as productive too.

Just now, Wainy316 said:

Not only was he far better than any other left back option himself but he probably would've made Rudy twice as productive too.

Absolutely.  

Though my gran would be better than our other left back option.  And she only had one leg.  When she was still alive.

• Like 1

Absolutely.  

Though my gran would be better than our other left back option.  And she only had one leg.  When she was still alive.

Did she have a better touch than Rudy Gestede too?

Â