Idrissa Gana Gueye

BowenAVFC

I think he's being asked to do too much.  Work goes to the willing, and he's running around like a blue-arsed fly, even taking shots on goal ffs and that ain't his job.  I think Chris is right.  If Gueye was in a balanced midfield with a fair workload in a relatively functioning (i.e. not totally shite) side, then I think he'd be a very tidy player.  I don't think he's anywhere near being our worst player.

34 minutes ago, BOF said:

I think he's being asked to do too much.  Work goes to the willing, and he's running around like a blue-arsed fly, even taking shots on goal ffs and that ain't his job.  I think Chris is right.  If Gueye was in a balanced midfield with a fair workload in a relatively functioning (i.e. not totally shite) side, then I think he'd be a very tidy player.  I don't think he's anywhere near being our worst player.

Scoring goals is a part of most midfielders brief. For Sanchez - a true DM - goals aren't important, but Gana plays further forward than that. The fact our midfielders can't score a goal is a major failing of our team. He really should be able to at least test the goalie occasionally. Sanchez, Gana, Veretout and Westwood have contributed 0 goals so far this season. Are there any other teams that never score from central midfield? This isn't even a new problem, Delph almost never scored either. 

Can't argue with you there.  I was more intimating that it's not part of his skillset and that the likes of Veretout, Sinclair, Gil & Grealish should be the ones contributing in that regard from midfield.  It would certainly be a Brucie bonus if Gana could score or; as you say; maybe keep it below row Z.

• Like 1

Our midfield is awful I think. They aren't physical enough, are regularly 5 yards of their man, don't score, don't assist, give the ball away regularly in dangerous situations.

The Norwich away game was a typical example, simple one two around our midfield, then we recover and still allow them to get the cross in. We need a whole new one for the Championship campaign I think. I'm not saying they are the only problem, but they are a massive part of it. Veretout is the only one I'd like to see in the first 11 as he is at least showing signs.

Gueye can do some of the things listed above (intercept and tackle) but he often then gives it away in a dangerous situation.

Just go with this (when all are available) and see what happens.  Simply putting your best players on the pitch is a controversial move, but I think it's just crazy enough to work.

748bb0c0753f4a466e3daf1301764513.png

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BOF said:

Just go with this (when all are available) and see what happens.  Simply putting your best players on the pitch is a controversial move, but I think it's just crazy enough to work.

Either this, or move back Richards to CB and put Bacuna at RB. Whichever is the least of two evils.

37 minutes ago, BOF said:

Best players on the pitch and that team is still dreadful, there really isn't much hope :(

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I've said it before, this guy - like Amavi - posts amazing stats that disguise the fact that he isn't actually effective.

How do you measure how effective a ball-winning midfielder is?

Personally, I go by how good they are at winning and keeping the ball.

MOM for me.He played the role as a central defensive midfielder how it should be.Quick, aggressive, mobile, kept the ball in the opposition half.Very impressive tonight.

I hope that RG is given some money this window because i liked the shape and the style of the team tonight.

• Like 4

Haven't been too impressed lately but he was brilliant tonight. I'm sure it was him in the second half, just after Bunn goal kick went straight out or something iirc, he seemed to be motivating the players and clapping saying as if "come on we can do this".

Just a little thing like that really stood out, good to see

• Like 1

Â