Idrissa Gana Gueye

BowenAVFC

7 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I really don't understand the criticism he gets. I watch him very carefully in games as a result of the stick he gets and he's a big part of the reason that we don't get overrun in midfield any more. 

we have the worst midfield in the league. We get overrun a lot of times

Just now, Zatman said:

we have the worst midfield in the league. We get overrun a lot of times

Not true at all - our problems this season have been literally everywhere else on the pitch but midfield. We're actually more competent there than we have been in years IMO but our attacking outlets are very poor and we make too many defensive errors. We fail because of the likes of Richardson, Hutton and Sinclair.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Not true at all - our problems this season have been literally everywhere else on the pitch but midfield. We're actually more competent there than we have been in years IMO but our attacking outlets are very poor and we make too many defensive errors. We fail because of the likes of Richardson, Hutton and Sinclair.

I agree actually. The midfield isn't amazing, but I agree that it's the strongest area of our team (which isn't saying much).

It's definitely improved under Garde too. Mainly down to the 3 (usually) midfielders actually having positions as opposed to just all trying to do the same thing which is how the previous two managers seemed to approach things.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lexicon said:

Completely agree and think that is the one area Garde has improved. The fact is our defense is pants and apart from Ayew busting his lungs out to try and play all 3 forward positions we don't have a single recognised striker.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lexicon said:

spot on - our midfield have nowhere but sideward to go with the ball. then our fullbacks push up to create the 2 v 1 on the outside - and once we lose the ball here, we're done....

absolutely spot on for me - we need more movement from the front line, be it 1,2 or 3 guys up there (or in this 'off the striker' shit) - they need to be better off the ball as we're playing all our football in front of the defenders who simply just pick us off and then we're overloaded (see Arsenals 2nd for example of what I mean - we had nowhere to go with the ball, got caught in midfield with fullbacks pushed - and they waltzed in) - wouldn't have happened if our midfielders had options to give the ball to instead of the static blokes on their heels waiting for it that we do have

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spawnsworth said:

Not good enough.  I've seen him get bullied off the ball far too many times.  I've given him plenty of time before I made my mind up on him and he's just not good enough (and that's just my view)

Extra-ordinarily stupid POV IMO. He's barely been here half a season and has been injured in that time to boot. 

15 minutes ago, Eames said:

Extra-ordinarily stupid POV IMO. He's barely been here half a season and has been injured in that time to boot. 

You clearly didn't check your facts.

He's started 17 of 20 league matches this season and played 1466 minutes.  Only Guzan (20/1800) has more.  So he has played more minutes than any other outfield player.  I'd say that's plenty of time to judge a player.

I'd be truly delighted if I turned out to be wrong but from what I've seen.  He's too easily bullied off the ball and loses possesion in important areas all too often.

If you're going to insult me at least back it up with facts.

1 minute ago, Eames said:

The fact he's played less than half a season or the fact he's been injured? Which one is wrong? 

You say he's been injured and barely played half a season like he's barely played at all but it turns out he has played more minutes than anyone else.  I don't see what is so stupid about my post.  If you disagree then fair enough but you don't need to insult me.

We're 7 points adrift at the bottom for a very good reason and Gana is as much to blame as anyone else.  You think it's unfair to judge a player who's played less than half a season?  Really?  

13 hours ago, lexicon said:

Can't entirely agree with that, Sanchez, Gueye, Westwood and Veretout have all been utter crap at various points this season. Sanchez is constantly poor, Gueye has been poor since his injury, Westwood is either good or crap you just never know with him and Veretout was dreadful before Grade took over. Only Veretout has been decent under Garde apart from when he decided not to track the runners against Arsenal (to be fair neither did anyone else!). Midfield is lightweight, disorganised, lacks shape, lacks fitness and offers nothing at all going forward

2 minutes ago, Spawnsworth said:

You say he's been injured and barely played half a season like he's barely played at all but it turns out he has played more minutes than anyone else.

"Barely played half a season" means he's played only slightly more than half a season, not that he's hardly played.

1 minute ago, Spawnsworth said:

You say he's been injured and barely played half a season like he's barely played at all but it turns out he has played more minutes than anyone else.  I don't see what is so stupid about my post.  If you disagree then fair enough but you don't need to insult me.

We're 7 points adrift at the bottom for a very good reason and Gana is as much to blame as anyone else.  You think it's unfair to judge a player who's played less than half a season?  Really?  

I think its unfair to criticise a player who has played less than half a season in a brand new country and league. There's an argument that it would be harsh to judge him after a full season. Ozil has taken 3 seasons to really get going in the PL - yes some hit the ground running straight away but to buy a player and after 17 games (a fact there for you) to decide that they're not good enough and to get rid only to start the whole process again is not only stupid its down right ridiculous. Especially when the guy has arguably been our best midfielder this season in a position that isn't a problem for the club. 

I'd also suggest that if someone calling your opinion "stupid" upsets you so much you might not be ready to use the internet -much less frequent discussion/message boards. :thumb:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

"Barely played half a season" means he's played only slightly more than half a season, not that he's hardly played.

Eames actually said " He's barely been here half  a season" not played.  Sorry if I misquoted.

He had a hamstring injury which kept him out for 3 matches.  Hardly a long term injury.  We don't need players who take 3 seasons to settle in.  We need them to settle in after a few games and we've bought a load of players that are  A: Not Good Enough or  B: Need 1-3 seasons to settle in.  For that reason we find ourselves 7 points adrift at the bottom.

He's not good enough now, that is the point I am making.  I remember Delph was absolutely hopeless for a good couple of seasons before he actually became a decent player.  That was before he decided to slither up to Manchester (but that's another story).

I can take being called lots of things but not when I just made an opinion that is probably going to be shared by many others.  It's much easier to say you disagree than to call my POV stupid.  I could understand that if I made a ludicrous statement like we should sign Lionel Messi and Ronaldo to save us from relegation but I made a perfectly valid point.

4 minutes ago, Spawnsworth said:

Eames actually said " He's barely been here half  a season" not played.  Sorry if I misquoted.

He had a hamstring injury which kept him out for 3 matches.  Hardly a long term injury.  We don't need players who take 3 seasons to settle in.  We need them to settle in after a few games and we've bought a load of players that are  A: Not Good Enough or  B: Need 1-3 seasons to settle in.  For that reason we find ourselves 7 points adrift at the bottom.

He's not good enough now, that is the point I am making.  I remember Delph was absolutely hopeless for a good couple of seasons before he actually became a decent player.  That was before he decided to slither up to Manchester (but that's another story).

I can take being called lots of things but not when I just made an opinion that is probably going to be shared by many others.  It's much easier to say you disagree than to call my POV stupid.  I could understand that if I made a ludicrous statement like we should sign Lionel Messi and Ronaldo to save us from relegation but I made a perfectly valid point.

Worth mentioning again I said the POV was stupid. The House Rules prevent me from saying that you are. :thumb: 

5 minutes ago, Spawnsworth said:

Same thing. He means he's been here just over half a season, not that he's barely played in that time.

I've got no opinion on the rest of your post, I'll let you two argue that out. I was just pointing out what might have been causing some confusion.

Â