Tjaronn Chery

Gompedyret

Being in as-of-now-not-blacklisted The Sun it seems this potentially very interesting transfer remits its own thread.

Since The Sun is sitting nicely behind a pay wall I quote Tribal Football, presumably taking it from the Sun:

Aston Villa are favourites for Groningen winger Tjaronn Chery.

The Sun says Villa are in talks to land the 27-year-old, and are close to meeting the Dutch club's asking price.

Villa will have to fight off interest from Saudi Arabian side Al Ahli who will offer him more money.

Chery scored 17 goals last season with 15 coming in the Eredivisie, and provided 12 assists in all competitions.

The Sun additionally reports that he's recently gotten a sniff at the Dutch national side. The 27-year-old used to be a winger but was converted into a central goal-scoring midfielder.

InsideFutbol.com quotes Dutch magazine Voetbal International as well:

Aston Villa are expected to return with an improved bid for Chery though as they look to tempt him to England. The midfielder is open to moving on to pastures new, but has insisted that he would like to continue playing in Europe.

Chery has a whole host of other clubs who have lodged enquiries with his agent, including Lazio and Galatasaray. He also knocked back a generous proposal from Seattle Sounders as he does not want to leave Europe. A product of FC Twente's youth system, FC Groningen snapped Chery up from ADO Den Haag, initially on loan, in 2013.

He helped FC Groningen win the Dutch Cup last season.

The obligatory Youtube compilation.

He seems to suit Tim's preferred direct style of play very well, so it seems perfectly logical that we'll be interested. Tbf, everything below £5 mill seems like a major coup to me. At the very least, these kinds of players (when they're not n'Zogbia) can be very fun to watch!

Thought I post this video as it kinda sounds like his name (well not really...), and also our kit sponsors name. 

Must be a sign, right?

It's also possibly the most retarded song of all times

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

Story in the Sun came from our old friend Alan Nixon, he who used to reside on that Blackburn message board when we tried to sign Bentley and then got Friedel 5-6 years ago.

No idea if he's good enough for premier league but we certainly need someone who can score 5-10 from midfield and I don't see anyone capable of that here currently.