Andros Townsend

Guest av1

I need to find a pill to magically make me rate players once we are linked.

The fact is, if I don't rate a player when he is at another club. Why should I rate him because he is linked?

That's fair enough. I personally think Townsend is ok and would soon win over the fans if he signed for us.

But I would be very surprised if he did sign.

• Like 1

The fact is, if I don't rate a player when he is at another club. Why should I rate him because he is linked?

I think rating players at other clubs need to be taken into context though. Some people not saying you but others dont rate some players because they cant get into a certain team Spurs in this case and think if he isnt good enough for Spurs then he isnt good enough for Villa

FWIW he still played nearly 35 games last season so not like he was just warming the bench every games and I think he had some injuries

I think rating players at other clubs need to be taken into context though. Some people not saying you but others dont rate some players because they cant get into a certain team Spurs in this case and think if he isnt good enough for Spurs then he isnt good enough for Villa

FWIW he still played nearly 35 games last season so not like he was just warming the bench every games and I think he had some injuries

Only 17 of those came in the league, 10 starts & 7 as a sub.

Only 17 of those came in the league, 10 starts & 7 as a sub.

But that still validates Zatman's post as none of our players, barring probably Delph and Benteke, would have made 17 appearances for Spurs.

• Like 1

A player being linked means nothing in the slightest though. You shouldn't feel anything different regarding a player linked.

When a player signs it's different though. He's moved club into new circumstances with new teammates and a new manager. Absolutely no reason to write any new villa signing off until theyve at least had a couple of dozen matches in the first team.

Some players dramatically improve overnight after a transfer, while others get worse. It's to the manager to know what he's getting and how it fits in, really. That's typically not something fans are ever privy to.

For someone like Townsend, if Sherwood wants him then he wants him for a reason. He knows him, has seen him up close, and will have a very good idea what he's capable of. Far more an idea than me or anyone here.

For me, I don't rate the player all that much, but if the manager, who has seen a lot of him, identifies him for a specific role at the club, then I've no reason to carry over my prejudices

• Like 1

If I got to chose between Sinclair and Townsend, I'd chose Townsend. 

Do you mean in terms of player or in terms of transfer?

Sinclair for 2.5mil or Townsend for 12mil - I'd take Sinclair all day for that.

• Like 2

If I got to chose between Sinclair and Townsend, I'd chose Townsend. 

Do you mean in terms of player or in terms of transfer?

Sinclair for 2.5mil or Townsend for 12mil - I'd take Sinclair all day for that.

This is the issue. I absolutely agree Townsend would represent an improvement over what we already have, especially over N'Zogbia, but the question marks are over whether he's worth spending roughly 50% of our transfer budget on. 

EDIT: And Sinclair is already a Villa player, so there's that as well. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

Papers this morning saying Sunderland are weighing up a bid for Townsend.

Whether you want Townsend or not, him turning us down in favour of going to Sunderland would be a pretty big kick in the balls.

• Like 1

Whether you want Townsend or not, him turning us down in favour of going to Sunderland would be a pretty big kick in the balls.

If it's a straight fight between us and them on a level playing field then I'd back us and Tim any day. Problem is Sunderland have money to spend, where as we seemingly don't.

if he turned us down

If it's a straight fight between us and them on a level playing field then I'd back us and Tim any day. Problem is Sunderland have money to spend, where as we seemingly don't.
Based on what do we have no money?? At present there hasn't been much spent in the market by any club.

Didn't they finish above us? There is not much to chose between us and them at the moment.  

Didn't they finish above us? There is not much to chose between us and them at the moment.

I agree but I think location swings it. Not often you can say that in favour of Brum!

Â