Andros Townsend

Guest av1

I disagree.

Fair enough.

Well Blackburn paid £3.6m for Shearer so Townsend is probably worth about £800k. :)

Those were the days

Seriously though, that Shearer fee is equivalent to £20m in today's money. I guess it's like me saying I remember when bread was 50p for a loaf. It's still the same bread now, but the economy is different, wheat and flour are more expensive, the pound is weaker. So although that 50p seems cheap, it holds the same value as bread does today. Just in a different market.

It shouldn't be about equivalent value, but rather something measurable, like % of annual club revenue at the time of purchase. That'd give a much, much better idea as to whether or not players are costing clubs more or less, by a metric that makes sense.

I'll wager players in any given bracket cost in or about the same in terms of % of the purchaser's annual revenue as they did 5, 10, 15, 20, years ago

Exactly.

It is less about if X player is worth Y or not.

Each players price is a reflection of the positions of the two clubs involved and their eagerness or otherwise to do a deal. Transfers in isolation aren't representative of the time period in which they are made and can't be compared directly in different periods.

I think you are on the right tracks with the above.

For me, Townsend wouldn't be worth what I suspect he would cost relative to our overall budgets.

I disagree.

Fair enough.

Well Blackburn paid £3.6m for Shearer so Townsend is probably worth about £800k. :)

Those were the days

Seriously though, that Shearer fee is equivalent to £20m in today's money. I guess it's like me saying I remember when bread was 50p for a loaf. It's still the same bread now, but the economy is different, wheat and flour are more expensive, the pound is weaker. So although that 50p seems cheap, it holds the same value as bread does today. Just in a different market.

It shouldn't be about equivalent value, but rather something measurable, like % of annual club revenue at the time of purchase. That'd give a much, much better idea as to whether or not players are costing clubs more or less, by a metric that makes sense.

I'll wager players in any given bracket cost in or about the same in terms of % of the purchaser's annual revenue as they did 5, 10, 15, 20, years ago

Good argument.  :thumb:

Â