Andros Townsend

Guest av1

Townsend will be excellent for us. Exciting player who blazes past players and shoots. Yes he can miss but so does every other player who shoots from distance. We do not have 1 player who has his level of skill.

I do hope and pray you are all correct, just imo is rather Sinclair that's all and not sure about the asking fee either

I don't think we should offer him 80k a week... But, premier league players will demand premier league wages. I'm not saying the money isn't obscene, we all know it is, but I think if we intend to stop finishing below 15th, we need to accept you pay more for players from the premier league 'top 6' (if that still exists really) and/or players with more proven quality, otherwise we continue to gamble with unknown/unproven players and pay them less, but if you do that you'll inevitably end up with a few Tonev's, Sylla's, and so on. I do personally think Townsend would be worth paying a bit more per week than another gamble if we signed a relative unknown from abroad/lower leagues.

Edited by alreadyexists

Townsend will be excellent for us. Exciting player who blazes past players and shoots. Yes he can miss but so does every other player who shoots from distance. We do not have 1 player who has his level of skill.

I do hope and pray you are all correct, just imo is rather Sinclair that's all and not sure about the asking fee either

Sinclair is good but we need more

We need to raise the overall quality of the team.

Genuine question here, for arguments sake & we agree a fee would he even want to come here? Is working with Sherwood again the only real draw (besides a starting role) to getting him here? Surely teams further up the table would also be in for him if he were leaving.

I just can't see it happening myself

regular first team football at a similar size club to what he was at. Plus a Euros next year and a good season would put him in Hodgson plans especially as he missed World Cup

• Like 2

Genuine question here, for arguments sake & we agree a fee would he even want to come here? Is working with Sherwood again the only real draw (besides a starting role) to getting him here? Surely teams further up the table would also be in for him if he were leaving.

I just can't see it happening myself

Agreed

regular first team football at a similar size club to what he was at. Plus a Euros next year and a good season would put him in Hodgson plans especially as he missed World Cup

Similar sized club with a completely different agenda to ours! I'd welcome the signing if it were to happen, I think it would be remarkable by the Club to push a deal through but I can't see him giving up living in London & a top 8 club for one who's escaped relegation...just the last few seasons. Hope I'm proved wrong

I agree with Zatman. Its the same with Micah Richards.

Not really. Richards has been in the wilderness at city for a while & even loaned out at 26. Also out of contract & out of the international set up. Townsend plays sporadically for Spurs but could still get back in the side with a few performances & is also in the England squad each time.

I think it's a completely different situation, luring Townsend here would be a lot harder

• Like 3

Southampton offered £12 million for him last season and they aren't keeping Elia, so might well come back in for him this season. But I'm not sure Poch wants to sell him and he doesn't really want to leave. He'd be a great signing as is under rated. His attitude is first class and as much as anything I think that's what Villa need. Many Spurs fans don't like him as he had periods of keeping Lamela out of the team, so they seemed to resent him for that. Also at Spurs we play very narrow and Townsend is better when things are more spread out. I read someone on here say he was "woeful" for England the other day, which is typical of how he's spoken about. Townsend played pretty well and certainly didn't look out of place for England. 

But ultimately Lennon would be the much better signing. He's half the price and Tim constantly picked him over Townsend. Everton fans were very pleasantly surprised by Lennon and he totally won them over. People judge Lennon too much on stats alone, and don't look at the effect him being on the pitch has on the opposition, as they are terrified of his pace. This opens up so much more space for other players. I wish we'd still play Lennon. I'm unsure what is happening with Everton as they seem to be entering into a strange deal with Barca for Deulefeu, that means they get him very cheap. If Lennon is available, I can't see Tim going for Andros. There will be plenty of clubs looking to buy Townsend and will pay over £10 million for him. Lennon will be a bargain. 

Capoue is another potentially great signing. He didn't lose his place due to form. He's probably go to a CL club in Europe, but Prem clubs have got more money. His Spurs career has been misunderstood. He only lost his place last season due to injury and this season was 1st choice in midfield, until he, Lennon, Kaboul and Adebayor got into an argument with some of the other players and were pretty much banished from then on. There is a misconception that they were dropped and couldn't get into the team, but it's not true. Someone is going to get a good deal with Capoue. We got him cheaply in the first place as he only had a year left on his deal, so Levy will only want around £8 million for him. 

• Like 1

For a team like us I think Townsend would be a good signing, my concern would be the fee. Not defending his management but if we're spending £12m and up on the likes of Townsend I do wonder what Paul Lambert must be thinking, I'd back him to have found someone pretty special for that kind of fee - although the difficulty would be persuading them to come here. 

I'd rather dembele

I'd be very disappointed if we sold Dembele and if he were to go he'd have his choice of lots of clubs all across Europe. I can't see Villa being able to attract him at this time. 

But ultimately Lennon would be the much better signing. He's half the price and Tim constantly picked him over Townsend. Everton fans were very pleasantly surprised by Lennon and he totally won them over. People judge Lennon too much on stats alone, and don't look at the effect him being on the pitch has on the opposition, as they are terrified of his pace. This opens up so much more space for other players. I wish we'd still play Lennon. I'm unsure what is happening with Everton as they seem to be entering into a strange deal with Barca for Deulefeu, that means they get him very cheap. If Lennon is available, I can't see Tim going for Andros. There will be plenty of clubs looking to buy Townsend and will pay over £10 million for him. Lennon will be a bargain.

I read last month Spurs value Lennon at £9m which was too expensive for Everton. He has a year left on his contract.

Sounds about right with Levy involved. I'd take him on loan; certainly wouldn't sign him long term and certainly not for that fee.

I'd rather dembele

I'd be very disappointed if we sold Dembele and if he were to go he'd have his choice of lots of clubs all across Europe. I can't see Villa being able to attract him at this time. 

Dembele is a lovely player to watch but he dosen't produce enough season in season out, he should score more goals and set up more. Would still take him though.

Spurs's transfer policy always amuses me, you sign 5-6 new midfielders seemingly every summer and yet who ends up playing majority of games.....Bentaleb and Mason, two academy products. Holtby's back at Spurs aswell isn't he....Paulinho's still there...

I think Joey you're simply overrating a few of your squad. IMO the reason you finished 5th was hugely down to Lloris saving you in games like leicester away, Kane having an unbelievable season and Eriksen scoring loads of last minute winners first half of season. This Spurs team is nowhere near the level of Jol or Redknapp eras.

I'm not fussed on Townsend, I actually thought he was really good half season on loan at QPR but people seem to have a downer on him because he scored twice on his debut for England and of course the press started hyping him up to ridiculous levels. Just worried we're going to get totally mugged off on the fee.

Would also suggest we'd play 4-4-2 a lot next season which I'm not sure about either.

• Like 2

Â