Andros Townsend

Guest av1

Really don't think this deal will happen for a number of reasons.

Firstly I'd be surprised if Tottenham would be looking to sell him, I'd be surprised if there weren't other clubs (maybe who have qualified for Europe) in for him if he was made available and I think the transfer fee would probably be too much anyway.

• Like 1

To everyone who thinks that Townsend is the saviour! How much do you think he'll want to come to villa? 60-70-80 thousand a week??? Again another player who will command a large weekly wage. Get rid of nzogbia and his 50k a week and get about her liability who will want more. Sounds like great business......not!!!!

Since when does a player who starts less than 1/3rd of his clubs games become a good signing for us????? In my opinion given a full pre season I reckon Sinclair will be a far better player and somebody who won't need bedding into the side either

Cool story

• Like 2

I don't think he's on anything like 60k a week at spurs. probably half that much. Just going on the comments from a former spurs boss who said that Kane, Townsend and Mason combined were on less than Sterling has been offered at Liverpool. 

Edited by PaulC

To everyone who thinks that Townsend is the saviour! How much do you think he'll want to come to villa? 60-70-80 thousand a week??? Again another player who will command a large weekly wage. Get rid of nzogbia and his 50k a week and get about her liability who will want more. Sounds like great business......not!!!!

Since when does a player who starts less than 1/3rd of his clubs games become a good signing for us????? In my opinion given a full pre season I reckon Sinclair will be a far better player and somebody who won't need bedding into the side either

Cool story

You criticise Townsend and say we shouldn't be buying players who play 1/3 of his current teams games then praise Sinclair who played less than 1/10 of games for his previous club?

Why would Townsend be a liability? 

• Like 1

I'd rather dembele

I'd be very disappointed if we sold Dembele and if he were to go he'd have his choice of lots of clubs all across Europe. I can't see Villa being able to attract him at this time. 

Dembele is a lovely player to watch but he dosen't produce enough season in season out, he should score more goals and set up more. Would still take him though.

Spurs's transfer policy always amuses me, you sign 5-6 new midfielders seemingly every summer and yet who ends up playing majority of games.....Bentaleb and Mason, two academy products. Holtby's back at Spurs aswell isn't he....Paulinho's still there...

I think Joey you're simply overrating a few of your squad. IMO the reason you finished 5th was hugely down to Lloris saving you in games like leicester away, Kane having an unbelievable season and Eriksen scoring loads of last minute winners first half of season. This Spurs team is nowhere near the level of Jol or Redknapp eras.

I'm not fussed on Townsend, I actually thought he was really good half season on loan at QPR but people seem to have a downer on him because he scored twice on his debut for England and of course the press started hyping him up to ridiculous levels. Just worried we're going to get totally mugged off on the fee.

Would also suggest we'd play 4-4-2 a lot next season which I'm not sure about either.

I'm don't think I'm over rating them though. They are top 6 quality players and we are talking about them in the context of selling them to a club that have just finished 17th. It's not like I'm saying they are good enough for Man Utd. 

It's difficult to buy top 4 quality players, hence we tend to end up stock piling top 6 standard players. For example, we don't have a top class CM, but we've got 4 or 5 that are good enough to start for Europa league teams. Players like Paulinho are seen as flops as they don't get into our team, but in reality he played an important role in us getting 69 points in 2013/14 and scored 6 Prem goals. He's not the player we hoped he'd be, but he's still actually a very decent player. Any team looking for a goal scoring CM could do a lot worse than Paulinho. 

Generally speaking, we have very few players that aren't good. We've just got very few that are really good. There isn't much difference in quality between Lamela, Townsend and Lennon for example. Basically there is little difference between our 3rd choice RW and 1st choice. That's pretty rare and why there are quite a few bargains to be had from our squad. We've got players that have been labelled as flops that really aren't much if any worse than those that started in front of them in a top 5 team.  

I'd rather dembele

I'd be very disappointed if we sold Dembele and if he were to go he'd have his choice of lots of clubs all across Europe. I can't see Villa being able to attract him at this time. 

Dembele is a lovely player to watch but he dosen't produce enough season in season out, he should score more goals and set up more. Would still take him though.

Spurs's transfer policy always amuses me, you sign 5-6 new midfielders seemingly every summer and yet who ends up playing majority of games.....Bentaleb and Mason, two academy products. Holtby's back at Spurs aswell isn't he....Paulinho's still there...

I think Joey you're simply overrating a few of your squad. IMO the reason you finished 5th was hugely down to Lloris saving you in games like leicester away, Kane having an unbelievable season and Eriksen scoring loads of last minute winners first half of season. This Spurs team is nowhere near the level of Jol or Redknapp eras.

I'm not fussed on Townsend, I actually thought he was really good half season on loan at QPR but people seem to have a downer on him because he scored twice on his debut for England and of course the press started hyping him up to ridiculous levels. Just worried we're going to get totally mugged off on the fee.

Would also suggest we'd play 4-4-2 a lot next season which I'm not sure about either.

To be fair to Spurs the only midfielder they bought last summer was Stambouli. Can't really count Alli as he's a youth, bought for the future and got sent straight back out on loan as part of the deal.

Obviously the season before the bought a lot of midfielders, rather than trying to just replace Bale with one massive purchase.

I'd rather dembele

I'm don't think I'm over rating them though. They are top 6 quality players and we are talking about them in the context of selling them to a club that have just finished 17th. It's not like I'm saying they are good enough for Man Utd. 

It's difficult to buy top 4 quality players, hence we tend to end up stock piling top 6 standard players. For example, we don't have a top class CM, but we've got 4 or 5 that are good enough to start for Europa league teams. Players like Paulinho are seen as flops as they don't get into our team, but in reality he played an important role in us getting 69 points in 2013/14 and scored 6 Prem goals. He's not the player we hoped he'd be, but he's still actually a very decent player. Any team looking for a goal scoring CM could do a lot worse than Paulinho. 

Generally speaking, we have very few players that aren't good. We've just got very few that are really good. There isn't much difference in quality between Lamela, Townsend and Lennon for example. Basically there is little difference between our 3rd choice RW and 1st choice. That's pretty rare and why there are quite a few bargains to be had from our squad. We've got players that have been labelled as flops that really aren't much if any worse than those that started in front of them in a top 5 team.  

I'd agree with this to be honest. Spurs could chop and change the team between Europa League and Premier League games and there are two XIs of very similar quality, barring the positions of probably Lloris, Vertonghen, Eriksen and Kane. In 7-8 positions whichever options they go for e.g Paulinho or Bentaleb, Lennon or Townsend, Walker or Dier, they have top 6 quality players. 

Their squad was always likely to finish 5th or 6th last season and never seemed on course to do anything different, it's definitely not as good as when Redknapp was there when they had Modric, VDV and Bale.

Cool story

You criticise Townsend and say we shouldn't be buying players who play 1/3 of his current teams games then praise Sinclair who played less than 1/10 of games for his previous club?

Firstly is like to point out that we are talking about the Tim sherwood era and he was given this squad of players, secondly Sinclair was on loan and didn't cost fck all to loan so worth a risk and we bought him albeit a small fee think was 2m and thirdly we didn't pay 10-15m of Sinclair so if he doesn't work out we ain't lost much, but if you'd prefer to waste that sort of money on Townsend then I suggest you submit your cv to Tom Fox cause personally I don't think Townsend is worth it, but ultimately we'll end up buying him you you will all be on here throughout the season moaning how shit he is, so I'll say it now "don't say I told you so" Edited by gaz711

Calm down! No need to get defensive because someone doesn't agree with you. 

Firstly, how do you know he would be a waste of money? How do you know he'll be shit? Simple fact is, you don't. I don't. All I look at is he's a regular England international and in my opinion, he would improve our team. As for the transfer fee, that's not really a concern of anyone is it? If the club deem him value for money then what's the problem? The purse strings are controlled better now and if the club can afford it, what's the big issue? 

• Like 4

I think the first thing to consider is would he improve our starting XI - in my opinion yes he would.

So if the transfer fee is around £12m I think it would be a decent investment. The biggest aspect to consider is the wages though. If he was to be on £60k, £70k or £80k I'd say no. £50k and under then yes. 

I still stand by our transfer policy from before - sign up and coming players that have proven themselves in different leagues (be it English lower leagues, Belgium, Holland etc) - it is where we will get most value and increased sell on fees. If Benteke proved himself at say Hull, we wouldn't be able to attract him and he would be considerably more than the £7m we paid. Another example is Spurs with Eriksen - they got him for £11.5m. The best value is offshore or lower leagues. It's where 80-90% of our business should take place as it will give us the biggest chance of propelling ourselves up the table long term.

Occasionally there will be deals with Premier League players that suit us (like Richards and Sinclair) but it's not as often. 

Cool story

Firstly is like to point out that we are talking about the Tim sherwood era and he was given this squad of players, secondly Sinclair was on loan and didn't cost fck all to loan so worth a risk and we bought him albeit a small fee think was 2m and thirdly we didn't pay 10-15m of Sinclair so if he doesn't work out we ain't lost much, but if you'd prefer to waste that sort of money on Townsend then I suggest you submit your cv to Tom Fox cause personally I don't think Townsend is worth it, but ultimately we'll end up buying him you you will all be on here throughout the season moaning how shit he is, so I'll say it now "don't say I told you so"

poe.jpg

2122163.jpg

• Like 2

Not sure how so much confusion can prevail: would Townsend improve us - YES, clearly. Even if he was just a sub, he is a sub who offers a game changing skill set, he can change a games pace and offers penetration. Not sure these are qualities that Sinclair has, but this doesn't diminish Sinclairs value to our squad.

Secondly, sadly if we want top half, we need to employ top half standard players (Townsend is after all a young capped Endland player), much as it sticks in my throat, we need to pay these one dimensional sportsmen the going rate too.

I should also add we shouldn't care about Spurs fans dilousioned views, they've had a screw loose for years and years.

Edited by thunderball

Not sure how so much confusion can prevail: would Townsend improve us - YES, clearly. Even if he was just a sub, he is a sub who offers a game changing skill set, he can change a games pace and offers penetration. Not sure these are qualities that Sinclair has, but this doesn't diminish Sinclairs value to our squad.

Secondly, sadly if we want top half, we need to employ top half standard players (Townsend is after all a young capped Endland player), much as it sticks in my throat, we need to pay these one dimensional sportsmen the going rate too.

I should also add we shouldn't care about Spurs fans dilousioned views, they've had a screw loose for years and years.

Yep.

"Our players are shit and we can't compete with the likes of Swansea"

"We shouldn't be paying 50k per week for......"

Repeat.

• Like 1

I'd take him.

There are people calling him a 'one-trick pony', but to be quite frank it's one more trick than a lot of our boys possess.

A new cm, lb and striker if Benteke goes, and I'd say we'd be good to go for next season.

Townsend will be overpaid, overrated and inconsistent at any club he joins

but someone will be able to manage him well and get the best out of him and that someone could be Sherwood

Players like Andros will feel deflated and unimportant in a big crowd of egos and overpaid nonsense like there is at Spurs, he needs to feel special and central to the team. He would probably get that here.

Edited by VillanousOne

I need to find a pill to magically make me rate players once we are linked.

The fact is, if I don't rate a player when he is at another club. Why should I rate him because he is linked?

• Like 1

Â