Andros Townsend

Guest av1

Almost a month gone from the 'sherwood reunion with townsend' rumours. I said then he's no good for us, and looks like I could be right, if sherwood wanted him so badly we'd have him by now!!!!!!!!

Almost a month gone from the 'sherwood reunion with townsend' rumours. I said then he's no good for us, and looks like I could be right, if sherwood wanted him so badly we'd have him by now!!!!!!!!

Its all down to the Queens head me thinks. 

I would say we only landed this new guy because the Delph deal was all but done.

Edited by Kingman

Think he'll see how much he figures in Spur's opening few games than look to move on.

Have to say him and Adebayor do have a whiff of August 31st about them....some club will take them. Remember we signed Hutton and Jenas a few hours before the deadline a few years back. That was a good double deal.....

As I eluded to earlier. Making 'MON signings' would defeat the purpose of seeking better value targets, Fox's attempts to building up our scouting network and hiring the Sporting Director.

• Like 1

Said before in the speculation thread, we signed Downing, young and Milner for 9-12m, Townsend has more caps, is arguably more established as a prem player, is coming from Spurs, has a media darling status and player values have gone nuts since, if you think he's going for >£10m your talking bollocks

Didn't they accept a £12m bid from Southampton last summer? Will be at least the same this summer of not more

Said before in the speculation thread, we signed Downing, young and Milner for 9-12m, Townsend has more caps, is arguably more established as a prem player, is coming from Spurs, has a media darling status and player values have gone nuts since, if you think he's going for >£10m your talking bollocks

Didn't they accept a £12m bid from Southampton last summer? Will be at least the same this summer of not more

I don't think he is more established than what Milner and Downing were. 

And also that doesn't justify his fee. Those two above were going at a time when the England team had Lampard, Scholes, Gerrard and more, so the caps thing cannot be justified when Townsend's only competitor on the wing is Milner (a central player), Sterling (doesn't cut it enough yet), Lallana (overpriced and overrated), and a few others who are not of a high standard. The whole England team is bang average other than a few. 

If Townsend played for another team, would the England doors have been open for him? Look at another player who is very similar to Townsend, i'd say better for all round play - Adam Johnson. He has done nothing for England but was in the team when he signed for Man City and has since slipped away - and of course he has a few issues now. But the fact is I remember people bulking at the price Sunderland were paying for him - he is hit and miss, he has one style of play and if it wasn't for the fact City had him, the price wouldn't be as big and he wouldn't have been rated so highly.

Just because a player plays for England or gets plenty of appearances under his belt at club level, it doesn't make him a good player. An example is that Weimann - who doesn't have much to his game, has played far more than he should for us, or Gabby, or the many other players who have careers based on their one attribute.

Townsend's is to hit a ball hard and score screamers. A Hitzlesperger of the wing. Hitz, as much as I loved him, was never worth more than 5m, but then he played for Villa, not a team who can rely on having their players picked for England, because they play for the mighty Spurs.

Â