Andros Townsend

Guest av1

I really don't think we're in any position to be turning our noses up to Andros Townsend. I think if he gets a move to another club and is given game time, he'll do really well, and few might be wishing we signed him after all. I'd like us to sign him, but because of the high fee and that other areas need strengthening more, I guess it's doubtful.

I really don't think we're in any position to be turning our noses up to Andros Townsend. I think if he gets a move to another club and is given game time, he'll do really well, and few might be wishing we signed him after all. I'd like us to sign him, but because of the high fee and that other areas need strengthening more, I guess it's doubtful.

I'd happily take him, just not for half the Benteke money.

• Like 1

I'd happily take him, just not for half the Benteke money.

I agree with you, I think he's a good player and would work well for us but you are right £15 mill seems to high right now. 

Said before in the speculation thread, we signed Downing, young and Milner for 9-12m, Townsend has more caps, is arguably more established as a prem player, is coming from Spurs, has a media darling status and player values have gone nuts since, if you think he's going for >£10m your talking bollocks

Didn't they accept a £12m bid from Southampton last summer? Will be at least the same this summer of not more

Nobody thinks he will be going for less than this, that's the point. However I can't take seriously the justification of such a fee for a player who has mustered a grand total of three goals and two assists in the league over the previous TWO seasons. Scoring a couple of goals against some crap international teams doesn't hold any significance in the face of that. He is a bang-average, limited player who once had a decent run when he was an unknown quantity, as so many of these types do.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 2

The market is always a very confusing place for the first window after a new TV deal. Transfer fees are at the mercy of the economists.

I was expecting a 15% rise or so, but then deals at the top end continue to be ridiculous. There's no real stability.

My gut tells me £13m is about right for Townsend.

• Like 1

The market is always a very confusing place for the first window after a new TV deal. Transfer fees are at the mercy of the economists.

I was expecting a 15% rise or so, but then deals at the top end continue to be ridiculous. There's no real stability.

My gut tells me £13m is about right for Townsend.

I think i'd agree with that. However i'm still stuck in the dark ages where £13 million is considered a lot of money. 

In my head he is worth no more than £8 million.

Warning: Massive generalization!

Almost every season there is a new young English winger who breaks into the league with a bang and is hyped up no end.

They are often pretty one dimensional living on speed rather than technique and creativity and very seldom do they live up to the hype or the price tag should they move.

They get a pay rise or injury and lose their motivation/speed and then they fade away becoming suddenly average.

I think it's a big chance Townsend will become another one of these players, although Townsend probably wan't one more big move so he might have a great season here so we can flog him to Liverpool for £25m next season... 

It was clear to me that he meant a DIRECT comparison.

If he did then cool beans. I will say that the further apart a transfer is (for example Trevor Francis to Benteke) it is harder to use it. But for Shearer to Benteke it's not so hard. The big issue is where will we be in 20 years? I can't see it holding up.

So if Trent did mean direct relation I actually agree with that statement.

I think it was use of the word utterly which made me think he meant in any way at all.

Edited by DK82

I disagree.

Fair enough.

Well Blackburn paid £3.6m for Shearer so Townsend is probably worth about £800k. :)

Those were the days

Seriously though, that Shearer fee is equivalent to £20m in today's money. I guess it's like me saying I remember when bread was 50p for a loaf. It's still the same bread now, but the economy is different, wheat and flour are more expensive, the pound is weaker. So although that 50p seems cheap, it holds the same value as bread does today. Just in a different market.

It shouldn't be about equivalent value, but rather something measurable, like % of annual club revenue at the time of purchase. That'd give a much, much better idea as to whether or not players are costing clubs more or less, by a metric that makes sense.

I'll wager players in any given bracket cost in or about the same in terms of % of the purchaser's annual revenue as they did 5, 10, 15, 20, years ago

Â