Micah Richards

Demitri_C

Remember him scoring in the last minute at Villa Park in an FA Cup tie that City absolutely dominated, in the DOL days, then swearing in the post match interview. Didnt like him, but looked like he could be a powerhouse of a player. Never lived up to it but will give him a chance to prove himself here. Surprised we go in for yet another crock, but beggars cant be chosers is a term ive come to accept thesedays when it comes to AVFC in the transfer market

He isn't a crock though, he won the league in 2012 and was a huge part of that success. Picked up a serious injury and Zabaleta made the place his own, after their spending went even more crazy Richards found himself out of favour.

Last season he was meant to have been fit for the majority of it.

“I just wanted to thank the Man City fans for the amazing support they’ve given me over the years.

“I joined City when I was 14 and have been part of a brilliant period in the club’s history – winning our first league title in 44 years, winning the FA Cup, playing in the Champions League.

“The club, the manager, the staff who work behind the scenes, the players, but most importantly the fans – everyone – will always have a special place in my heart.

“City’s been like a family to me and I wish everyone the best of luck for next season and the coming years.”

http://www.micahrichards.com/news/statement-from-micah-to-the-man-city-fans

I guess that could be just because he's officially left due to his contract running out. Hopefully it means he's coming here though

That's exactly what it is. Out of contract, not offered a new one, leaving the club, so saying his goodbyes.  

• Like 1

That twittery thing is suggesting Everton are after him too, and what with a distinct lack of 'ITSOTP' articles in our favour, this one mightn't be as done as some of us would like yet.  At least there'll probably be one section of us happy no matter what the outcome :P

So if we lose out to Everton, I take it all the people who said they didn't want him, will be moaning that we've lost out on a player to Everton again? Obviously those that did want him, will be saying how he's crap anyway, and will be glad we dodged a bullet. That's pretty much how Villa Talk works right?

No I will be pretty happy and follows up my theory that Martinez hasnt a clue about defenders

He hardly played for Fiorentina since they swapped formation to 3-5-2.

Im sure he has a lot to prove to himself and everyone else after a couple of miserable seasons.

Could be a good signing IF he can stay fit. Wages are a huge question mark thou.

Not sure what his best position is either, he wasn't technical enough to play on the flank in Serie A. We would have the fastest CB pairing in the league if we paired him alongside Okore, not sure it would work thou...

I guess that could be just because he's officially left due to his contract running out. Hopefully it means he's coming here though

That's exactly what it is. Out of contract, not offered a new one, leaving the club, so saying his goodbyes.

I thought I read he turned a deal down to stay? Not arguing just thought I'd seen it mentioned the last couple days

This would be a superb signing, and the first step towards reforming a proper defence.  After watching absolute rubbish like Lowton, Luna, Bennett and Cissokho, it will be nice to have a proper full back again.

• Like 3

Excellent signing if it happens. Not sure what people are expecting from this window but I think this is a good bit of business. He will be keen to resurrect his career and given England's lack of defensive options he will see this as an opportunity to push for a place in Roy's Euro squad.

As long as he minds his language next time he scores at Villa Park I think he will prove to be a success. :)

I think some were expecting dani alves on 30k a week :D

• Like 1

There aren't many clubs in the Premier i'd have been surprised at him joining. I mean I don't think I'd have been surprised to him sign for  someone like Everton or even Tottenham or Liverpool. I think he'll be a good signing.

This would be a superb signing, and the first step towards reforming a proper defence.  After watching absolute rubbish like Lowton, Luna, Bennett and Cissokho, it will be nice to have a proper full back again.

And where are we going to get one of them from? I hope I'm wrong I really do but Richards wanders, doesn't concentrate, isn't the best passer plus can't cross. A terrible full back option in my eyes, a decent defender.

He's strong, athletic and quick so he might be useful but he's nowhere near being a superb signing or a proper defender....I guess it's a free so there's wages bumped in to adjust the lack of fee but for 65k a week you could get a couple of players with potential and not someone who has consistently failed to meet theirs.

I'm sure he'll be better than the past full backs we've had, but that doesn't say much.

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay

Exactly this.

I have no idea who fans want if they think Micah Richards isn't a good enough player for us.

• Like 1

There is an awful lot of hype surrounding Rochard. Burst on the scene as a youngster, in a blaze of glory but got found out. Be careful what you wish for folks. Ask this question why has there not been a clamour to his door wanting him to sign up?

Well, the season only finished two weeks ago and he has already been signed by a Premier League club. Not bad for a player who has been "found out".

Benteke on the other hand....

Lol, are you comparing Richards who is available on a free with no club to try and negotiate a fee with, to Benteke who is going to be worth £30m+ and tied up with a contract? Not quite the same.

I keep seeing "proven" premier league player etc. That was four seasons ago now, he has proven nothing in the last three seasons. He may prove me and others wrong and turn out to be a shrewd signing, but at the moment I fully understand peoples concerns about splashing big wages on somebody who hasn't played regular competitive football for a number of seasons. I would hope that a lot of his wages would be performance related, otherwise we could end up with another wages millstone around our neck for the next few seasons.

Maybe that it was four seasons ago but we tried the proven in the premier league in recent times and look where that got us!

Never knew we had so may informed and learned experts who know all about what a player is worth and how much he is entitled to and who can already tell that a player won't make it even before a contract has been signed.

As always - I will wait till he puts the shirt on and players more than 10 mins before I judge.

I'll give him time and I trust the managers judgement - just like with benteke, Bacuna, Gil , Westwood,Senderos (people were wringing their hands and he turned out to be a decent player until injured on International Duty) etc..

There is an awful lot of hype surrounding Rochard. Burst on the scene as a youngster, in a blaze of glory but got found out. Be careful what you wish for folks. Ask this question why has there not been a clamour to his door wanting him to sign up?

Well, the season only finished two weeks ago and he has already been signed by a Premier League club. Not bad for a player who has been "found out".

Benteke on the other hand....

Lol, are you comparing Richards who is available on a free with no club to try and negotiate a fee with, to Benteke who is going to be worth £30m+ and tied up with a contract? Not quite the same.

I keep seeing "proven" premier league player etc. That was four seasons ago now, he has proven nothing in the last three seasons. He may prove me and others wrong and turn out to be a shrewd signing, but at the moment I fully understand peoples concerns about splashing big wages on somebody who hasn't played regular competitive football for a number of seasons. I would hope that a lot of his wages would be performance related, otherwise we could end up with another wages millstone around our neck for the next few seasons.

Maybe that it was four seasons ago but we tried the proven in the premier league in recent times and look where that got us!

Never knew we had so may informed and learned experts who know all about what a player is worth and how much he is entitled to and who can already tell that a player won't make it even before a contract has been signed.

As always - I will wait till he puts the shirt on and players more than 10 mins before I judge.

I'll give him time and I trust the managers judgement - just like with benteke, Bacuna, Gil , Westwood,Senderos (people were wringing their hands and he turned out to be a decent player until injured on International Duty) etc..

I am merely expressing a concern that a player who has barely played top flight football in 3 years is reported to be coming in on a wage that is higher than the most players in our squad. I can only go on what is reported in articles as none of us know any different. As I said, he may prove me wrong, but my big fear is we are clearing down our wage bill to replace it with someone who may not be able to regain the level of performance he had 4 years ago, and therefore leave us back to square one on the wage bill situation of players picking up big wages for little contribution.

I guess if we are not allowed to discuss our concerns without being called "learned expert" in a condecending way, then we may as well not have a discussion board to put them on.

To Add: Also expressing concern before signing a player, does not mean he will not be supported when he steps onto the pitch. He will get given the chance same as Senderos did.

Edited by NeilS

Hmmm... taking a little while to confirm this deal considering how certain the media think this is on. 

I don't really rate him as a player, but if we sign him I hope he's as good as some of you lot seem to think. Prove me wrong Richards :D 

Edited by PieFacE

Exactly this.

I have no idea who fans want if they think Micah Richards isn't a good enough player for us.

The question is not if he's a good enough player for us he's a decent RB the question is can he stay fit long enough to justify paying him 65k a week

Â