Micah Richards

Demitri_C

Since he moved from Man city (on loan) i've always thought he would be quite a nice fit for us and a player we could attract so i'm pleased to see we are finally making our move. Hopefully we can land him by the end of today, a perfect match hopefully. 

There is an awful lot of hype surrounding Rochard. Burst on the scene as a youngster, in a blaze of glory but got found out. Be careful what you wish for folks. Ask this question why has there not been a clamour to his door wanting him to sign up?

Well, the season only finished two weeks ago and he has already been signed by a Premier League club. Not bad for a player who has been "found out".

Benteke on the other hand....

Lol, are you comparing Richards who is available on a free with no club to try and negotiate a fee with, to Benteke who is going to be worth £30m+ and tied up with a contract? Not quite the same.

I keep seeing "proven" premier league player etc. That was four seasons ago now, he has proven nothing in the last three seasons. He may prove me and others wrong and turn out to be a shrewd signing, but at the moment I fully understand peoples concerns about splashing big wages on somebody who hasn't played regular competitive football for a number of seasons. I would hope that a lot of his wages would be performance related, otherwise we could end up with another wages millstone around our neck for the next few seasons.

If he is on 65k so be it. We are gona get rid of about 20players so some youth, squad & 1st team on high wages. It's sad we've all turned into accountants.

We spent money finished 6th

Tried bargains and been on suicide watch for 4 seasons

That twittery thing is suggesting Everton are after him too, and what with a distinct lack of 'ITSOTP' articles in our favour, this one mightn't be as done as some of us would like yet.  At least there'll probably be one section of us happy no matter what the outcome :P

So if we lose out to Everton, I take it all the people who said they didn't want him, will be moaning that we've lost out on a player to Everton again? Obviously those that did want him, will be saying how he's crap anyway, and will be glad we dodged a bullet. That's pretty much how Villa Talk works right?

He's not a crap player at all, he's just not as good as Zabaleta, which is hardly a crime.

Sorry to repeat myself, but it's just odd how people have very rightly complained that we have trawled the bargain bucket or the lower leagues for years, stumbling around as if we were a plucky promoted team. The minute we go after a good, proven Premier League player and offer him the going rate in wages, people are falling over themselves to complain.

In no way is a good player like Richards not good enough for a club who have failed to reach 40 points in three of the last four seasons.

You do realise this is Villa Talk :)
To be fair, £65k p/w is a lot for someone who hasn't played much in recent years. Even though Sinclair wasn't out of contract, his decline in stature is similar and we've probably signed him on at least £20k p/w less. Another example is Cleverley, he's been playing much more than Richards, is younger, has been in the England set-up more regularly and, you would think, is more deserved (in the football world!) of earning £65k p/w than Richards!

I'd personally say that, putting aside a signing on fee, Richards is worth around £45k/£50k p/w, if he's happy to drop down to the second/third bracket of teams in the league.

Regarding the comments about people complaining, it's clear to see why. Also, about us now supposedly offering the going rate... There's a difference between us offering £15k p/w to Helenius/Bennett and us offering £65k p/w for Richards. I think most VillaTalkers would settle for us regularly offering usual Premier League wages like £40k-50k p/w.

There is an awful lot of hype surrounding Rochard. Burst on the scene as a youngster, in a blaze of glory but got found out. Be careful what you wish for folks. Ask this question why has there not been a clamour to his door wanting him to sign up?

Well, the season only finished two weeks ago and he has already been signed by a Premier League club. Not bad for a player who has been "found out".

Benteke on the other hand....

Lol, are you comparing Richards who is available on a free with no club to try and negotiate a fee with, to Benteke who is going to be worth £30m+ and tied up with a contract? Not quite the same.

I keep seeing "proven" premier league player etc. That was four seasons ago now, he has proven nothing in the last three seasons. He may prove me and others wrong and turn out to be a shrewd signing, but at the moment I fully understand peoples concerns about splashing big wages on somebody who hasn't played regular competitive football for a number of seasons. I would hope that a lot of his wages would be performance related, otherwise we could end up with another wages millstone around our neck for the next few seasons.

I don't think you understood my post. 

The poster intimated that Richards can't be that good because he didn't have a "clamour" at his door. I merely pointed out that aside from the fact that none of us know whether or not that is the case, he has been signed by a Premier League club and Benteke, who is a fabulous player, has been signed by precisely nobody.

What I am getting at is that it is irrelevant how many clubs are or are not supposedly interested in a player when judging his value to our club. Christian Benteke is a great player but the "clamour" has not yet resulted in anything whereas Micah Richards was snapped up pretty quickly. 

EDIT: And there is an argument to suggest that although Benteke is going to cost a lot of money to purchase, the kind of clubs that are 'supposedly' interested, A, dont' need to worry about the transfer fee as much as we do about paying 65k a week in wages, and B, would surely want a quick solution in order to not be gazumped by a rival.

Edited by One For The Road

Well if you read that article last year he had a clamour for him and if you look at different papers today he's been linked with Sunderland Everton

and Liverpool. How many clubs need to be after you to be wanted?

so much of a clamour he had to go abroad. As I say be careful what you wish for

Well if you read that article last year he had a clamour for him and if you look at different papers today he's been linked with Sunderland Everton

Still sounds like rubbish the second time round mate.

What he said

Free Transfers get higher wagers as a team does not need to pay a transfer fee. 

Imagine there is a transfer fee but its paid in weekley installments to the player and subtract that from his wages

For example 20k a week for 5 years is 5m so if he is getting 65k, thats the same as a 5m transfer fee and 45k, which sounds about right in the current market

• Like 1

A lot of the adverse reaction on here seems to be about the £65,000/week. Do we know if that is figure is correct?

No it's just press speculation IMO. It might also include any signing on fee he gets as he's a free agent so we don't really know. The main thing is that he's cheap because there's no transfer fee and he's a good addition to the team. Now let's sign a lot more please.

Free Transfers get higher wagers as a team does not need to pay a transfer fee. 

Imagine there is a transfer fee but its paid in weekley installments to the player and subtract that from his wages

For example 20k a week for 5 years is 5m so if he is getting 65k, thats the same as a 5m transfer fee and 45k, which sounds about right in the current market

Thought if we signed a player on a free the player would get some sort of fee rather than his former club. So you could have to add £2-3m into that too?

Remember him scoring in the last minute at Villa Park in an FA Cup tie that City absolutely dominated, in the DOL days, then swearing in the post match interview. Didnt like him, but looked like he could be a powerhouse of a player. Never lived up to it but will give him a chance to prove himself here. Surprised we go in for yet another crock, but beggars cant be chosers is a term ive come to accept thesedays when it comes to AVFC in the transfer market

Â