Micah Richards

Demitri_C

What's the difference between "club" and "team" captain?

My understanding is that one is a leader on the pitch (shouting at team mates etc) whereas the other is more a role model off the pitch (charity work, someone who players can confide in etc).

But I could be wrong :D

I like Micah, but not sure how signing the ex-City right back is going to solve our longstanding issues in central defence. Unless paired with an experienced and reliable centre half I really don't see his transition to the centre to be the answer. Really sets us up for a season of continued defensive mistakes in front of what became a below par Guzan. Hope I'm proven wrong.

They've done it this way in case Micah Richards as a stormer and Citeh want him back again. This way, we don't lose our overall leader. The club Captain - Gabby Mr Aston Villa Agbonlahor - will still be here to help Richards' replacement - Jordan Mangetout - settle in to the club and then, after he impresses and moves on to a top four club, Mr Aston Villa, who will be here longer than the club badge and the Doug Ellis stand, will then help his successor to settle, and so on.......

I like Micah, but not sure how signing the ex-City right back is going to solve our longstanding issues in central defence. Unless paired with an experienced and reliable centre half I really don't see his transition to the centre to be the answer. Really sets us up for a season of continued defensive mistakes in front of what became a below par Guzan. Hope I'm proven wrong.

Agreed.

His "winning mentality" will mean bugger all if we don't get another CB and he will become a loser like the rest of them.

Tim is taking a huge risk if he doesn't go get an experienced CB. I mean he must be concerned after watching us ship goals in pre season.

I think Ian Taylor was the 'club captain' last year.

They've done it this way in case Micah Richards as a stormer and Citeh want him back again. This way, we don't lose our overall leader. The club Captain - Gabby Mr Aston Villa Agbonlahor - will still be here to help Richards' replacement - Jordan Mangetout - settle in to the club and then, after he impresses and moves on to a top four club, Mr Aston Villa, who will be here longer than the club badge and the Doug Ellis stand, will then help his successor to settle, and so on.......

What about when we all die and the sun burns out?

One actually means something.

The other can be interpreted as an award similar to what Homer wins at his high school reunion. The award for "the person who travelled the least distance to be here".

• Like 4

I think Ian Taylor was the 'club captain' last year.

What about when we all die and the sun burns out?

We will be Premier League leaders because Arsenal will have sunk to the lowest of lows following Wenger's retirement many years earlier and we will be first in the league alphabetically - obviously, the cataclysmic event takes place in the close season! ;)

I don't want him to be captain because of how ape-shit he went when he scored his first Man City goal against us (typically) and how stupid he was afterwards, swearing during the interview (albeit accidentally).

He just seems thick.  But we do have a dearth of actual inspirational people around the squad at the minute.

confusing. So richards wears the armband on the pitch and gabby off it?>

Nobody wears the armband off the pitch :)

Basically, I see it as acknowledgement to Gabby that he's the longest serving player, and he deserves some sort of role worthy of a team veteran.

BUT, he's pretty shit, and probably won't play as much as he has in the past. So he can't be the proper captain.

I don't want him to be captain because of how ape-shit he went when he scored his first Man City goal against us (typically) and how stupid he was afterwards, swearing during the interview (albeit accidentally).

He just seems thick.  But we do have a dearth of actual inspirational people around the squad at the minute.

I don't think I could disagree more.

His interviews have been impressive; seems like a grounded lad with realistic views on his own career and where he can improve.  I'm not saying he's the most natural captain in the squad, but he's a decent enough choice for me.  Also places responsibility on his shoulders - smart man-management stuff from Sherwood IMO.

I wouldn't compare a 17 year old Micah scoring his first goal to the guy we've got at Villa now.  He's a different character entirely.

• Like 1

Â