Micah Richards

Demitri_C

He hasn't looked great at CB; suspect positioning coupled with a tendancy to run too high up the pitch has caused a goal scoring oppourtunity against us in every preseason game I've watched him feature in. And has been previously mentioned, yes a defence is a unit, hence why one of the players being out of position is so costly; a chain is only as strong as its weakest link as they say.

How anyone who's watched the games so far and isn't even slightly concerned is pretty much baffling to me and making observations to weakness of his game isn't making him a scapegoat, its stating facts.

Observations are fine. But saying he is balls or would rather play anyone than him at CB or saying he is waste of money and can't understand the signing is a little OTT in my opinion.

I don't get it. I think he's looked pretty solid. It's also pre season and our defence has 2 new players. A defence works as a unit, its going to take time for them to become one.

I have a feeling this thread will be the one bumped after every loss.

Agreed, his card has already been marked.

We have got our scapegoat for the season. Happy Days.

Of course he could always silence his critics with a flurry of clean sheets ?

He hasn't looked great at CB; suspect positioning coupled with a tendancy to run too high up the pitch has caused a goal scoring oppourtunity against us in every preseason game I've watched him feature in. And has been previously mentioned, yes a defence is a unit, hence why one of the players being out of position is so costly; a chain is only as strong as its weakest link as they say.

How anyone who's watched the games so far and isn't even slightly concerned is pretty much baffling to me and making observations to weakness of his game isn't making him a scapegoat, its stating facts.

Observations are fine. But saying he is balls or would rather play anyone than him at CB or saying he is waste of money and can't understand the signing is a little OTT in my opinion.

Of course, but you will get hyperbole like this in pretty much every players thread.

It's hardly been the majority, nearly every criticism I've read has been reasoned and based and what he's showed thus far. The suggestions he is already the scapegoat and this will be the thread thats bumped when you lose, as if the criticisms have been baseless are utter bollocks though imo.

• Like 1

Of course, but you will get hyperbole like this in pretty much every players thread.

It's hardly been the majority, nearly every criticism I've read has been reasoned and based and what he's showed thus far. The suggestions he is already the scapegoat and this will be the thread thats bumped when you lose, as if the criticisms have been baseless are utter bollocks though imo.

True. I guess hyperbole stands out more than reasonable posts.

I don't get it. I think he's looked pretty solid. It's also pre season and our defence has 2 new players. A defence works as a unit, its going to take time for them to become one.

Yes because the back 5 and protection from midfield clearly will all be down to Richards.

Why does he have to silence critics before he's played 1 competitive game for us? That's strange

Yes because the back 5 and protection from midfield clearly will all be down to Richards.

Why does he have to silence critics before he's played 1 competitive game for us? That's strange

Could ....as in future tense.

If we stop conceeding goals his critics will have no grounding. Personally I think he is a disaster waiting to happen, really hope we sign another CB and TS and MR can save face by switching him to full back.

Strong criticism of a new player based on a couple of meaningless friendlies which are only there for match fitness is ridiculous. Training is where they do tactics, pre season friendlies is where they do fitness.

I saw people refusing to give Guzan credit earlier this summer because he was only playing meaningless competitive internationals, but now it's perfectly fine to dish out the criticism to Richards because of these oh so meaningful pre season friendlies?

Eagerly awaiting Richards making his first mistake of the season (as everyone makes) for the inevitable "stealing a living" / "right back or gtfo" comments that will be coming. I think it would be interesting to do a "Richards Vs Gil mistake counter" counting each stray pass / poor positioning etc and see if the number of mistakes they make has any bearing on how we feel about them because for some it feels like Gil can do no wrong, and Richards very little right. Of course I can't imagine anyone having enough time on their hands to actually do that!

Strong criticism of a new player based on a couple of meaningless friendlies which are only there for match fitness is ridiculous. Training is where they do tactics, pre season friendlies is where they do fitness.

I saw people refusing to give Guzan credit earlier this summer because he was only playing meaningless competitive internationals, but now it's perfectly fine to dish out the criticism to Richards because of these oh so meaningful pre season friendlies?

Eagerly awaiting Richards making his first mistake of the season (as everyone makes) for the inevitable "stealing a living" / "right back or gtfo" comments that will be coming. I think it would be interesting to do a "Richards Vs Gil mistake counter" counting each stray pass / poor positioning etc and see if the number of mistakes they make has any bearing on how we feel about them because for some it feels like Gil can do no wrong, and Richards very little right. Of course I can't imagine anyone having enough time on their hands to actually do that!

So because you saw that some Villa fans not give Guzan credit for preseason games that means others can't use it to judge a player on how he's performed? You do realise the Villa fanbase is comprised of a number of different people right? So it doesn't make it hypocritical at all, unless its the same person of course.

As for the Gil remark. Yes i'm sure you are right ,nobody would have time to do that, especially as it would be a completely useless comparative measure. People are rating Gil because they feel he's played well (surely you should be in the Gil thread telling them they aren't allowed to judge a player on how he's performed in meaningless pre-season game, maybe pop into the Kozak thread as well) and a number of people have been criticising Richards because he hasn't. Nothing to do with scapegoating which I get the impression your  post is eluding to.

Spot on

Nobody said 'he is balls'

Somebody said he's the best RB around and somebody replied 'is he balls' which means 'he definitely isn't' in slang

Comprehension needed C-

Edited by StefanAVFC

Somebody said he's the best RB around and somebody replied 'is he balls' which means 'he definitely isn't' in slang

Comprehension needed C-

Oh yeh. My bad. But if he read before posting he would have seen the person went on to say best RB around that we could realistically sign.

So talking of balls, you know what you can do with mine!! [emoji6]

So because you saw that some Villa fans not give Guzan credit for preseason games that means others can't use it to judge a player on how he's performed? You do realise the Villa fanbase is comprised of a number of different people right? So it doesn't make it hypocritical at all, unless its the same person of course.

As for the Gil remark. Yes i'm sure you are right ,nobody would have time to do that, especially as it would be a completely useless comparative measure. People are rating Gil because they feel he's played well (surely you should be in the Gil thread telling them they aren't allowed to judge a player on how he's performed in meaningless pre-season game, maybe pop into the Kozak thread as well) and a number of people have been criticising Richards because he hasn't. Nothing to do with scapegoating which I get the impression your post is eluding to.

Of course I realise that, however it doesn't make judging players based on nothing more than a few pre season games completely ridiculous. I'm not on the other pages because people aren't judging those players based solely on pre season games, they have actually played competitive games for us (not many, so still too soon IMO, but each to their own).

Theoretically, take CNZ for example, what if he goes and bangs in 6 or 7 goals in the next couple of pre season games, would everyone suddenly want him to stay? Of course not, because the games are meaningless. You can't only apply this logic one way.

Player plays well in pre season friendly = meaningless, player plays rubbish in pre season friendly = meaningless

If someone has genuinely watched Micah Richards given a consistent run at CB in competive matches then their opinion is valid, anyone going off heresay or pre season games to conclude that he's rubbish there then their opinion is invalid as it's entirely based on other people's opinions and a few meaningless kick abouts

I am skeptical about whether he'd make a good CB or not as I've never seen him play there, in fact I haven't seen him play at all for a few years, but let's give the lad a chance ffs, worst case scenario is he's a pretty good RB which isn't a terrible thing to fall back on if he is rubbish in the middle.

Comprehension needed C-

Comprehension skills all round are lacking, especially those think people are making a scapegoat out of Richards because they are pointing out his obvious flaws and being worried that he will cost us this season.

I understand the point about the lack of importance of pre-season games although I feel its a little naive to simply dismiss the fact a player has shown a clear weakness in his game, which hasn't improved in the run of games at all imo, as the games being 'meaningless'.

And yes every player has made mistakes but Richards has consistently shown the tendency to get caught too high up the pitch, leaving our defence exposed on a number of occasions, when he is where he's supposed to be he has made a few decent clearances and in fact surprised me how good he seems in the air, but that isn't the issue.

Â