Election Night 2015

Demitri_C

I feel depressed, bemused and scared in equal measure.

First they came for the jobless, but I had a job so I was ok.

Then they came for the disabled, but I was able bodied, so I was ok.

Then they came for the poor, but ...

Melodramatic isn't it?

What, exactly, is going to change in your life in the next 5 years?

Jon likes to pretend that the Conservatives are akin to the Nazi party. Haven't you noticed before?

Clegg resigned

Blinder 2: When the Scots were getting unruly and got a referendum on independence, 2 days before Cameron got Clegg and Miliband to sign the 'pledge' to give them more power which just about swayed the vote. Then when nothing happened from this pledge the Scots rebelled and became nationalistic again and have now voted SNP in which has taken all of Labour's seats, keeping Conservative and Cameron in place.

House of Cards story level stuff.

Even if labour had won every seat in Scotland, the tories would still have a majority.

Melodramatic isn't it?

What, exactly, is going to change in your life in the next 5 years?

Jon likes to pretend that the Conservatives are akin to the Nazi party. Haven't you noticed before?

Clegg resigned

In a way they are in their attack on the unemployed 

Feel for the Cleggm-ister.

Seems like a decent sort of guy, but committed hara-kiri when he formed the coalition.

my life won't change that much so how can someone else's life change that much c'mon ffs.

Lol, salty.

• Like 1

I saw that arrogant t**t Paddy Ashdown on the Beeb after their exit pool showed the Lib Dems with 10 seats. He said he'd eat his hat if it was true because the Lib Dems had done their own polling and expected 30+ seats. He then said that about 20% of people would make up their mind on the day which undermined their own polling and enforced that the exit poll was probably correct as people were stating who they voted for rather than how they might vote. Signs on the Lib Dems are on course for < 10 seats and have been obliterated.   

Bad night for the UK and there will now be a huge divide between north and south. The rise of the SNP is a worry and the possible exit from the EU is also a potential recipe for disaster. 

Edited by villa89

Labour deserve a kicking, but I fear the cost. England has swung to the right. Third place went to a racist party. NHS and environment are ****. Also expect tuition fees to go up again, with no upper limit.

I said last night when the exit poll was released that I feel really disconnected with what is happening at the moment. A huge rise in UKIP in terms of votes if not seats and the Tories getting more seats. There has certainly been a shift to the right.

I do have some hope that some of this swing to the right is based on the fact that we have a whole generation of people voting who have never seen the Conservatives governing on their own and they have only seen them in opposition or a coalition. There is little doubt that they will now be a different animal without the Lib Dems holding back some of their even more damaging policies that will decimate further our public services and welfare for those most in need.

I do honestly believe that many don't realize what they have let themselves in for.

it's my theory being proven correct , the last batch of lefty students have grown up , joined the real world , taken down the Ernesto Guevara poster got a job and voted Tory

• Like 1

Who did the Lib Dem voters switch to? I don't get it.

Tories for the most part, then Labour, and the Green vote went up too.

It was UKIP that done for Labour, who are paying the price for abandoning the working class north and south of the border. In both instances the Labour vote seems to have chosen nationalism as the right way forward. Troubling.

Where's the nearest food bank!

I give up caring about politics. Cameron has a got a free reign to do what he wants now and its going to be brutal for those less fortunate

We've all seen those benefits Britain programmes where people are living a comfortable life, rent and bills paid, beer and fags in hand without ever doing a days work. Yet we're also being fed the line that people are too poor to eat / keep warm. I've never actually seen or heard of a local example of the latter (but plenty of the initial example).

Let's see what Cameron can do with a flimsy majority.

Well he's already maneuvered brilliantly in a couple of defining moments.

Blinder 1: One of the main Lib Dem tenets was for electoral reform. It was widely reported that the Tories agreed to it to get the coalition deal done. Then suddenly the only option in the referendum was Alternative Vote. Even the name makes it sound like a bad idea. Given the choice, Proportional Representation would have been voted in and it would now be a very different election. 

Blinder 2: When the Scots were getting unruly and got a referendum on independence, 2 days before Cameron got Clegg and Miliband to sign the 'pledge' to give them more power which just about swayed the vote. Then when nothing happened from this pledge the Scots rebelled and became nationalistic again and have now voted SNP in which has taken all of Labour's seats, keeping Conservative and Cameron in place.

House of Cards story level stuff.

And another one which wasn't immediately obvious to me.

The Sun and The Scottish Sun were seemingly at odds, one saying vote Conservative, one saying vote SNP.

Of course, it's now obvious that SNP were the pawn used to rob Labour of the Scottish vote.

You gotta admit, he played this stinking country like a harp from hell.

the Editor of the Sun was on the BBC last night ..he said they are in effect 2 different papers with 2 different editorial views

of course he's from the Sun so I don't believe him :)

Looks like a majority government. Even better news than before I went to bed, good to see.

Just out of interest, why is this such a positive thing? Apologises if you've already explained it!

double the free hours of childcare for working parents of three and four-year-olds from 15 hours to 30 hours a week during term-time

parents will benefit from up to £5,000 worth of free childcare a year

raise the personal income tax allowance by £2,000 to £12,500 by 2020

at least 500 extra free schools with enough places for 270,000 children will be built

prioritise brownfield development

scrap Human Rights Act and replace with a British Bill of Rights

These are the key things for me, plus I have been happy with the work they have done since they have been in power (as I stated that's from a personal point of view as my main priority is me and my family)

Labour screwed up so badly.

The most concerning thing here is 14% of the UK voting UKIP.

Embarrassing that so many voted for a party with one policy.

That is abit of a exagerration mate

Who did the Lib Dem voters switch to? I don't get it.

Tories for the most part, then Labour, and the Green vote went up too.

It was UKIP that done for Labour, who are paying the price for abandoning the working class north and south of the border. In both instances the Labour vote seems to have chosen nationalism as the right way forward. Troubling.

So what you are saying in a round about way  is that after all those posts from the Left about UKIP being the racist party , Labour voters switched allegiance to them in droves  ..ergo Labour supporters are racists  :D

Â