Election Night 2015

Demitri_C

We had a referendum, people are happy with the current form of representation. Its not going to change.

Circumstances can change and people can change their minds (especially if the former happens).

Rather like the scottish independence referendum, I don't get this idea that, because the question has been asked once, it may not/will not be asked again.

I'm not talking the Irish EU referndum ask again the following day kind of thing, obviously.

• Like 1

We had a referendum, people are happy with the current form of representation. Its not going to change.

Circumstances can change and people can change their minds (especially if the former happens).

Rather like the scottish independence referendum, I don't get this idea that, because the question has been asked once, it may not/will not be asked again.

I'm not talking the Irish EU referndum ask again the following day kind of thing, obviously.

True Snowy, I mean I cant see it happening in the next 5 years.

• Like 1

Aside from that (and you'll always be Polish to me now Stefan) it makes absolutely no sense.

I don't know about sickening, I can barely understand the point!

It was in jest, badly put apologies Stefan wasn't aimed at you.

More to do with are the Tories not trying to sort out benefit culture? Are there not people out there who could work but have not because they'll get more money of the government? Is trying to sort this out a good or bad thing?

I stitched myself up there.

Lets not target the fractional amount 'benefit cheats' cost the system, instead focus on the rich people who dodge tax. But those rich people fund the conservatives so not a chance.

It's sickening that they'll go after the easiest targets. At the moment that's immigrants and those on benefits, when in truth, the money they cost is nothing compared to tax evasion.

Aside from that (and you'll always be Polish to me now Stefan) it makes absolutely no sense.

More to do with are the Tories not trying to sort out benefit culture? Are there not people out there who could work but have not because they'll get more money of the government? Is trying to sort this out a good or bad thing?

It is a good thing, but the counter argument is that the tories will allow rich people (bankers & big companies) not to pay much tax, which vastly outweighs the money we give out to fraudulent benefits cheats.

Of course, none of it should be allowed and the Tories have said that they will ensure they cut these loop holes and that big companies won't have a choice but to pay tax.  As well as saying they'll crack down on benefit fraud.

So essentially both sides of the argument are trying to argue about which one is worse :lol:

It's all bullshit, everyone should be honest and pay tax etc, but guess what, out of 60+ million people, from rich to poor, there are always lying little scamps who try and get away with as much as possible.

I say this whilst sitting at my office desk, when I should be working - I am bad.

EDIT: see? Stefan just proved my point :crylaugh:

Edited by lapal_fan

It is a good thing, but the counter argument is that the tories will allow rich people (bankers & big companies) not to pay much tax, which vastly outweighs the money we give out to fraudulent benefits cheats.

Of course, none of it should be allowed and the Tories have said that they will ensure they cut these loop holes and that big companies won't have a choice but to pay tax.  As well as saying they'll crack down on benefit fraud.

So essentially both sides of the argument are trying to argue about which one is worse :lol:

It's all bullshit, everyone should be honest and pay tax etc, but guess what, out of 60+ million people, from rich to poor, there are always lying little scamps who try and get away with as much as possible.

I say this whilst sitting at my office desk, when I should be working - I am bad.

Yes its just like someone on benefits also working and cheating the system. Thats equally as bad in my view

A company who avoids paying millions in tax is the same as somebody getting pennies in comparison 'cheating' the system?

I'm done.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Yes its just like someone on benefits also working and cheating the system. Thats equally as bad in my view

It is on an individual level but costs us about 1% as much, so the other should be the prime target.

• Like 1

That was my point Dem.

A company who avoids paying millions in tax is the same as somebody getting pennies in comparison 'cheating' the system?

I'm done.

I don't think anybody said it's the same. But morally there is is little difference. It could also be argued that the company avoiding paying tax, through legal means, contributes FAR more to society as a whole than benefit cheats. 

Benefit cheats, including the millions of "cash in hand" types that are thankfully a dying breed are an actual thing that actually exist. The numbers involved are vastly different, that does not mean they should be allowed to get away with it. To do so would be more right wing than left in an "It's all about the individual" kind of way. 

• Like 2

I'm done.

But in some cases it's not pennies, some people have gotten £100,000's doing it.

But even if someone is fraudulently claiming £5 a week, it's still breaking the law.  By how much doesn't matter, you cannot break the law "a little bit".

And if you're referring to Tax avoidance, then as bad as it is, it's still legal.

Tax evasion on the other hand, is illegal and should be dealt with as accordingly.

I'm done.

I don't think anybody said it's the same. But morally there is is little difference. It could also be argued that the company avoiding paying tax, through legal means, contributes FAR more to society as a whole than benefit cheats. 

Benefit cheats, including the millions of "cash in hand" types that are thankfully a dying breed are an actual thing that actually exist. The numbers involved are vastly different, that does not mean they should be allowed to get away with it. To do so would be more right wing than left in an "It's all about the individual" kind of way. 

Exactly, nicely put. 

As bad as each other, regardless of the sums involved.

• Like 1

Indeed and all should pay tax if they work, make money etc in the country. However, i think the whole rich get tax benefits under the tories is slightly exaggerated. Could it not be argued that if our tax system is more favourable than say France, a rich person is more likely to live here than in France and as they do pay some tax we are getting money off them; rather than them giving tax to another country and us getting nothing. Not as simple as that but you get my point.

Indeed and all should pay tax if they work, make money etc in the country. However, i think the whole rich get tax benefits under the tories is slightly exaggerated. Could it not be argued that if our tax system is more favourable than say France, a rich person is more likely to live here than in France and as they do pay some tax we are getting money off them; rather than them giving tax to another country and us getting nothing. Not as simple as that but you get my point.

This is the problem with transfer pricing and multinationals paying a tiny %age in Luxembourg instead of the going rate here.

Â