Election Night 2015

Demitri_C

I think people overestimate how politically savvy the majority of the country is.

I believe that, sadly, that is true.

and it's such an important thing, a General Election. Yet many, many people will be far more clued up about say, Game of Thrones, their football team, Made In Chelsea etc, than what each party stands for and proposes in their manifestos.

It's all a bit depressing.

Well the one in bold definitely evokes more emotion and attention from me.  It's the only field that I've signed up to a message board for.

I think the thing is, a lot of people don't care who runs the country as it makes no real difference to their everyday lives. 

To be honest, it makes no difference to me at present. 

You must be in a very fortunate position for politics not to impact on your day to day existence.

I wouldn't say fortunate, its down to bloody hard work over the last 17 years.

well done. Let's hope you don't fall on bad times or just get a bit unlucky.

Also, wealthy or not, elections and governments have a huge impact on your life, in so many different ways. To think they don't is either ignorant or naive.

No offence meant.

I'm sure you have mate and deserved any financial reward you've got from it.

By the same token though there will be plenty of people on working tax credits who have worked their bollocks off and have then been hit in the pocket in the name of austerity. They already had the least and now have a little less. You will have an old guy or gal who will have worked hard most of their lives and got to a point where they need some help from the state in terms of care but find that adult social care provision has been decimated and there is no help for them. You will have others, again who have worked hard all their adult lives who are needing something back in terms of their health but find things such as cancer screening/diagnosis times have increased, find that they can't get a GPs appointment for several days, find that they are waiting for hours on end in A and E or find that they are traveling miles to a hospital as the local one has been shut down.

It can't just be about me, me, me and the here and now can it. Others, especially those less fortunate have to be considered, and what provisions we will need if we ever become ill, fall on hard times or when we hopefully get old.

well done. Let's hope you don't fall on bad times or just get a bit unlucky.

Also, wealthy or not, elections and governments have a huge impact on your life, in so many different ways. To think they don't is either ignorant or naive.

No offence meant.

I didn't mean to come across as arrogant its just that from my experience so far of working under both a Labour or Conservative government it hasn't had any impact on me in my working career so far. I'm far from wealthy (if I was I wouldn't be working my backside off!) but i've got myself into a position where I can cosset myself from any minor change in policy from a government and/or any change in personal circumstances. 

And that was my point - for a lot of people who is in charge of the country isn't is important as having the latest mobile phone or the new Game of Thrones series. That's the fight politicians have nowadays 

I think people overestimate how politically savvy the majority of the country is.

I believe that, sadly, that is true.

and it's such an important thing, a General Election. Yet many, many people will be far more clued up about say, Game of Thrones, their football team, Made In Chelsea etc, than what each party stands for and proposes in their manifestos.

It's all a bit depressing.

Well the one in bold definitely evokes more emotion and attention from me.  It's the only field that I've signed up to a message board for.

I think the thing is, a lot of people don't care who runs the country as it makes no real difference to their everyday lives. 

To be honest, it makes no difference to me at present. 

If you do not happen to be in a group worthy of any party's concern and you are neither a target for cuts, extra childcare, or extra taxes, it seems unlikely that you will notice any difference one way or the other, between Labour or a Conservative government.

And you can have as much sympathy as you like but living in a safe Tory constituency, as you do, there is absolutely nothing you can do about any issue.

You weren't even allowed to choose whether to pick another Tory MP other than the disgraced Andrew Mitchell, so how powerless is that?

Most of the stuff which will affect you will be decided in committee rooms and law commissions, and will not even go before parliament for debate.

So you are right, it makes no difference and it would be futile to worry about stuff which is beyond your power to change or even influence.

And, fine words butter no parsnips.

Edited by MakemineVanilla
  • Like 2

You might be right MMV, I have no children so don't have to worry anything like schools/education.  I have also never claimed any benefits so any change doesn't have an impact on me. The NHS has always been very good when my family and myself I have used them (they were wonderful during the last few hours of my Grandparents life) but I also have private medical insurance. Any increase in the limit on which I pay income tax is offset by a reduction of the limit I pay the higher rate. 

I didn't vote this year (was at work all day) but have no affinity to any party. I guess i'm not a priority for any party given my circumstances.

My brother told me he joined the Green party the other day, he's one of 10 in our constituency apparently! I had to laugh. 

I did also tell him that I wouldn't vote for him based purely on the fact he was my brother. Is that harsh? 

• 8 years later...
On 08/05/2015 at 18:13, mjmooney said:

They are due a banana skin/major scandal. Let's hope it's a biggie, and that Labour have a savvy leader and their act together when it happens.

Took a while. 

• Like 1

On 08/05/2015 at 10:25, HanoiVillan said:

I think it's a fairly good prediction that in five years Scotland will be an independent country and rUK will have left the EU. 

Half right :) 

• Haha 1

Â