Election Night 2015

Demitri_C

Of course, it's now obvious that SNP were the pawn used to rob Labour of the Scottish vote.

Even if the Labour party's vote in scotland had held up, the Tories would (on the numbers elsewhere) have had a majority.

Of course a different landscape in Scotland may have had a knock on effect in the rest of the country.

Without gaining those seats back Labour will be unable to mount a serious challenge at the next election too.

In voting for The SNP Scotland has sleepwalked us all into another 10 years of Tory rule. Nice one the scotch.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

Labour screwed up so badly.

The most concerning thing here is 14% of the UK voting UKIP.

Embarrassing that so many voted for a party with one policy.

Embarrassing that you think that that's what's happened.

• Like 1

Cant disagree with that much stefan. for me I think that just goes to show the state of not just uk politics but the people here these days. They dont really pay much interest in politics but instead moan about everything on social media instead

Edited by Demitri_C

Let's see what Cameron can do with a flimsy majority.

Well he's already maneuvered brilliantly in a couple of defining moments.

Blinder 1: One of the main Lib Dem tenets was for electoral reform. It was widely reported that the Tories agreed to it to get the coalition deal done. Then suddenly the only option in the referendum was Alternative Vote. Even the name makes it sound like a bad idea. Given the choice, Proportional Representation would have been voted in and it would now be a very different election. 

Blinder 2: When the Scots were getting unruly and got a referendum on independence, 2 days before Cameron got Clegg and Miliband to sign the 'pledge' to give them more power which just about swayed the vote. Then when nothing happened from this pledge the Scots rebelled and became nationalistic again and have now voted SNP in which has taken all of Labour's seats, keeping Conservative and Cameron in place.

House of Cards story level stuff.

but but we were told on this very forum how Cameron had been "played"  over Scotchland

tbf  , I don't give him enough credit for that to have been his endgame all along , but it does also confrim my theory ( i have lots of them :) ) that Cameron is always capable of pulling a Homer and must be the luckiest PM ever

I feel depressed, bemused and scared in equal measure.

First they came for the jobless, but I had a job so I was ok.

Then they came for the disabled, but I was able bodied, so I was ok.

Then they came for the poor, but ...

Melodramatic isn't it?

What, exactly, is going to change in your life in the next 5 years?

I am not trying to speak for Jon here as he may completely disagree but I think a lot of working people feel with the Tories that the safety net gets taken away. That if you did lose your job and hit hard times the help needed wouldn't be there and on top you would be stigmatized. I would also expect workers rights will now be further eroded and we will have a culture of fear especially for the low paid.

I guess many people won't notice of blind bit of difference initially. The time will come for almost all of us though where we will need some help from the state. Be it needing to see a GP and finding you can't get an appointment for days. Needing to go to A and E and finding yourself waiting hour up on hour to be seen. Waiting too long for a cancer diagnosis and then finding that when you do get it the cancer has advanced and it is too late. Or it may be you or one of yours needs some help looking after an elderly relative but will find the adult social care provision isn't there. Maybe you will become disabled or you will have a disabled son, daughter, granddaughter etc and find that the help both financially and in terms of care services isn't there. I could go on and on.

I think you have to look a little beyond the attitude of I am doing alright now. No one knows what awaits them in the future. Of course in addition don't we all have a responsibility to want to ensure that those less fortunate than us, be it through disability, old age, or simply circumstance, have a state provision in place for them both financially and in public services.

I don't know what the results of this election represent in terms of what people want. If it represents a majority in this country are happy to go along with' I  am doing ok today and whilst its unfortunate other aren't, **** em'. If it is then it's not a country I feel comfortable in.

Bingo.

• Like 1

Looks like a majority government. Even better news than before I went to bed, good to see.

Just out of interest, why is this such a positive thing? Apologises if you've already explained it!

double the free hours of childcare for working parents of three and four-year-olds from 15 hours to 30 hours a week during term-time

parents will benefit from up to £5,000 worth of free childcare a year

raise the personal income tax allowance by £2,000 to £12,500 by 2020

at least 500 extra free schools with enough places for 270,000 children will be built

prioritise brownfield development

scrap Human Rights Act and replace with a British Bill of Rights

These are the key things for me, plus I have been happy with the work they have done since they have been in power (as I stated that's from a personal point of view as my main priority is me and my family)

Cheers, Was just intrigued to see what people thought the positives were for another Conservative term.

On the 500 extra free schools though. They'll be lucky if they have any teachers to teach in those schools with the way they've treated Education in their first term.

• Like 1

Yes more to the point they only won one seat and they will go backwards now. Its no concern. We'll have our referendum people will vote to stay in and thats the end of UKIP. The greater concern is what the tories will do to the less fortunate in our country and the extra need for food banks. 

Melodramatic isn't it?

I am not trying to speak for Jon here as he may completely disagree but I think a lot of working people feel with the Tories that the safety net gets taken away. That if you did lose your job and hit hard times the help needed wouldn't be there and on top you would be stigmatized. I would also expect workers rights will now be further eroded and we will have a culture of fear especially for the low paid.

I guess many people won't notice of blind bit of difference initially. The time will come for almost all of us though where we will need some help from the state. Be it needing to see a GP and finding you can't get an appointment for days. Needing to go to A and E and finding yourself waiting hour up on hour to be seen. Waiting too long for a cancer diagnosis and then finding that when you do get it the cancer has advanced and it is too late. Or it may be you or one of yours needs some help looking after an elderly relative but will find the adult social care provision isn't there. Maybe you will become disabled or you will have a disabled son, daughter, granddaughter etc and find that the help both financially and in terms of care services isn't there. I could go on and on.

I think you have to look a little beyond the attitude of I am doing alright now. No one knows what awaits them in the future. Of course in addition don't we all have a responsibility to want to ensure that those less fortunate than us, be it through disability, old age, or simply circumstance, have a state provision in place for them both financially and in public services.

I don't know what the results of this election represent in terms of what people want. If it represents a majority in this country are happy to go along with' I  am doing ok today and whilst its unfortunate other aren't, **** em'. If it is then it's not a country I feel comfortable in.

BUT THE TORIES WON'T LET THOSE PEOPLE SUFFER, THEY DON'T WANT PEOPLE WAITING HOURS AND HOURS IN A&E, THE DOLE WILL STILL EXIST, I KNOW, I WAS ON IT FOR THREE MONTHS IN 2012! - I EVEN GOT A LETTER IN THAT THREE MONTHS SAYING THEY WERE RAISING THE PAYMENTS!!!!!

FFS, the care my nan got when she died in Russels Hall in 2013 was first class, the care my wifes grandmother got when she died in February this year was as good a house care as you could ask for, they installed a lift, a shower room, issued her with numerous wheelchairs (increasing in price as she got more disabled) and who was this all under? THE **** TORIES/Lib Dems.

I'm no glorious Tory supporter -  I voted Greens for ****'s sake ( :lol:) - but no one is going to be left on the **** pavement and it would be the same, regardless of the government.

Your thinking (almost hatred) is much more deeper seeded than is normal.  We're not in the 1980s any more, shave your mullet and welcome to the internet.

And I say that figuratively.

GOD DAMN.

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 1

Not bingo.  'Stuff everybody else' seems to be an accusation levelled at the Conservatives and their voters, while Labour supporters help old ladies across the street and voluntarily give their money away to the taxman.  When unions are calling people out on strike, eg the teachers, do they give a stuff that they're massively inconveniencing working parents, particularly lowly paid ones?  Do they stuff.  Or that the pensions they're striking about have to be paid by everybody else who for the most part don't get such generous retirement provisions?  What about striking Tube workers bringing London to a standstill and making the lives of people trying to get to work an utter misery? Well, the unions got Ed elected, and THAT'S what's caused this monumental defeat, so they'll have to suck it up and get on with it.  Everybody is in in it for themselves, but the left wing position is to make everybody equally badly off.

• Like 1

How anyone could argue that 500 FREE schools are a positive. They're an absolute joke. And the Tories have decimated education.

Dave, I agree. Labour have ballsed (lol) up this campaign so badly. 

^ nonsense. The teachers unions went on strike because the working conditions were (are) being so badly affected that they can't teach children properly anymore. 1 or 2 days of disruptions for individual parents or 5 years of most children being worse off in the classroom. I know which I'd rather have and you're proving my point here.

I agree with regards to Tube strikes. They can **** off.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

Melodramatic isn't it?

BUT THE TORIES WON'T LET THOSE PEOPLE SUFFER, THEY DON'T WANT PEOPLE WAITING HOURS AND HOURS IN A&E, THE DOLE WILL STILL EXIST, I KNOW, I WAS ON IT FOR THREE MONTHS IN 2012! - I EVEN GOT A LETTER IN THAT THREE MONTHS SAYING THEY WERE RAISING THE PAYMENTS!!!!!

FFS, the care my nan got when she died in Russels Hall in 2013 was first class, the care my wifes grandmother got when she died in February this year was as good a house care as you could ask for, they installed a lift, a shower room, issued her with numerous wheelchairs (increasing in price as she got more disabled) and who was this all under? THE **** TORIES/Lib Dems.

I'm no glorious Tory supporter -  I voted Greens for ****'s sake ( :lol:) - but no one is going to be left on the **** pavement and it would be the same, regardless of the government.

Your thinking (almost hatred) is much more deeper seeded than is normal.  We're not in the 1980s any more, shave your mullet and welcome to the internet.

GOD DAMN.

Yep.  And look at hospitals like North Staffs.  The problems there all stemmed back to the Blair years.

How anyone could argue that 500 FREE schools are a positive. They're an absolute joke. And the Tories have decimated education.

Dave, I agree. Labour have ballsed (lol) up this campaign so badly. 

^ nonsense. The teachers unions went on strike because the working conditions were (are) being so badly affected that they can't teach children properly anymore. 1 or 2 days of disruptions for individual parents or 5 years of most children being worse off in the classroom. I know which I'd rather have and you're proving my point here.

I agree with regards to Tube strikes. They can **** off.

Teachers who think that conditions are so bad they can't teach any more need to get a grip and spend some time in the real world.

• Like 2

Find me a country on earth where the majority of its inhabitants aren't selfish and I'll move there with you, I promise you.

The main problem this time around was the alternative. Labour are rudderless, a **** shambles. The ONLY reason I voted for them myself was out of a sense of duty towards humanity. I don't blame those who are not so inclined, objectively they are right not to vote Labour.

This is less about the Tories storming to victory and more about apathy. Get a grip, suck it up and prey.

Good post mate and now having just finished reading your final sentence I am going to put politics on the back burner for a while as over this last few weeks it as consumed way too much of my time and emotions.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

Ed gone. I liked him because he seemed like a proper lefty. Analysts saying that's probably what lost him the election missing the centre ground voters.

Is it right to sell your soul in order to win votes. It seems any iteration of the labour party will have to be more like new Labour than anything else.

Edited by PompeyVillan

Â