PauloBarnesi

33 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

He was massively out of his depths in the Euros - had Phillips to cover for him though 

He's a good player but my opinion of him hasn't changed, he's good at breaking up play, tackling, heading, intercepting etc but for a top top team with that £100m to spend on him who are looking to have 60% possession and him in that role getting 80 touches of the ball a game hes not that player, his movement isn't good enough and he's OK on the ball but he's not brilliant on the ball, the role has moved on from players like rice 

Perfect for man utd 

• Like 2

West Ham havent got a squad. They have a strong spine but played a lot pf games this season and dont rotate. Also Cresswell massively let them down again. I rate Rice highly. Put him in the Villa team and we'd be a top 7 side.  

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Put him in the Villa team and we'd be a top 7 side.  

No doubt

But put him in a man City side or Chelsea side or Liverpool side or any host of top table European sides that sniff round a £100m player and he ain't that 

The reality is bayern Munich are not coming for rice because bayern Munich don't play that kind of football, same goes for man City, Real Madrid etc

Edited by villa4europe

44 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

No doubt

But put him in a man City side or Chelsea side or Liverpool side or any host of top table European sides that sniff round a £100m player and he ain't that 

The reality is bayern Munich are not coming for rice because bayern Munich don't play that kind of football, same goes for man City, Real Madrid etc

I am sure some clown on Sky will say he is as good as Kimmich, Kroos or Casemiro 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, The_Steve said:

He was massively out of his depths in the Euros - had Phillips to cover for him though 

Really? I thought he was fine in that and been really good this season aswell for club and country.

Think Rice is just a victim of transfer fee now. He goes for 70m and people will be demanding he produces goal saving tackles, gets up and does a mazy run through Liverpool's midfield and then fires it in top corner from 25 yards. At least twice a game.

It's that English mentality of thinking every CM has to be a clone of Bryan Robson/Gazza/ Gerrard/Lampard.

I think Rice could do just as effective a job as Rodri generally does for Man. City. He cost 62m in July 2019 so that would be similar to what Rice would probably go for this summer yet he's just left to get on with it week in week out while Rice will get scrutinized like hell.

• Like 1

Have to disagree with some here on Rice.

He reminds me a lot of Roy Keane.It was said he could play any outfield position and still be the best player on the pitch,maybe a slight exaggeration.

Rice for me could be a brilliant central defender who could bring the ball out,a superb defensive midfielder and going forward he displays great passing ability.

Put him in our team and I think we would be top 6.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61550710?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA

West Ham defender Kurt Zouma has been charged with three offences under the Animal Welfare Act after allegedly harming his cat.

good. still can't believe he continued to play for west ham. still not sure i could turn up each week and watch him if it was a villa player

Miraculously this news comes out the day after the season ended. He is a pos, hope he gets done for as much as possible. Both him and his troglodyte brother. 

Crazy, what happened to soucek this season then? I know it's football reasons but I'm also surprised that the new czech part owner would be happy to see him go

Quick Google says he wants a bumper new deal but they don't think he's worth it

I'd take him at villa

On 10/05/2022 at 19:43, foreveryoung said:

He'll be in big trouble for this with UEFA. First Zouma now Rice, can't be much discipline in that squad.

An they wonder why they have a rep!

Fair play he called out corruption, and he’s 100% correct refs are corrupt .

Edited by gwi1890

if they are listening to offers for Soucek then we should be all over that transfer imo. He would add a hell of a lot of steel to the midfield and provide some much needed goals from that area of the pitch aswell. Fairly experienced premier league player with good international pedigree entering the prime of his career...seems like a no brainer really! Fwiw i reckon west ham will agree a new contract with him though. he would be a big loss for them

• Like 2

sky sports now reporting that West Ham have no intention of listening to offers and that Soucek remains an integral part of their squad. Mentioned he has 2 years remaining with the option of a 3rd. That would have been an awesome transfer :( but I thought it unlikely, they would have been stupid to part with him

• 1 month later...

Are these good signings for West Ham to consolidate 7th, or do Villa now have a stronger team to overtake them this season?

Gianluca Scamacca Italy (Striker) from Sassuolo £36 million 

Nayef Aguerd Morocco (Defender) from Rennes £28 million 
Alphonse Areola France (Goal Keeper) from PSG £8 million 
Flynn Downes England (Midfielder) from Swansea City £9 million 

Patrick Kelly Ireland (Midfielder) from Coleraine £ unknown 

Â