The FA Cup Final Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

Yep I'm playing it safe it staying at home to watch it.  I stopped watching Villa in the pub years ago and I was going to make an exception as it's a big occasion but I have zero confidence in a result.

All I hope is that we don't get completely embarrassed on the big stage.

How can people say they don't want to be there. A bloke next to me yesterday said if he had a ticket he wouldn't even bother going.

This is the fa cup final. The most historic footballing competition in the world. Our biggest game since 1982. I don't care if we lose, I will be there to cheer our team on from the first to last minute and will feel honoured. This doesn't happen often, and I for one intend to enjoy it win, lose or heart wrenching penalties! Let's roar them on and show arsenal what real support is!

• Like 3

Benteke on his day is unplayable as we know, and I get the impression he's the kind of player who revels in the big occasion.  Having lost out on the world cup and with this being the biggest shop window he'll have played in to date, I think he is our biggest reason to feel positive.  I can't imagine Arsenal's back line is looking forward to facing him.  I also think Wenger will probably think that stopping Benteke means stopping Villa, so I think it will be Coquelin on Tekkers like a bad rash from minute one.

I agree completely with Scott's assessment above including what we can derive from Sherwood's right back choices and the supporting cast for Benteke.  I would tend to think we will go with a partner for Grealish behind Benteke instead of a partner for Benteke in front of Grealish if only because Gabby hasn't played a lot of football in the run-up.  Maybe that's because we've been keeping him fresh since we became safe.  I don't know.

I just know we need to keep it tight for the first 15 minutes.  It took us a while to figure out Liverpool in the semi but once we did they had no answer.  Arsenal can and do start at 100mph and they'll have seen how we can be blown out of the water early on from recent matches.

The most important thing is that we go into this and play our game.  If we go in scared and try to stop Arsenal playing their game then we'll get a hiding.  If we go in with confidence and play our own game and get the ball to Benteke then I think we've a good chance.  Paul Merson said after our semi-final that he'd genuinely rather Arsenal were playing against Liverpool in the final because Liverpool are a more predictable opponent.  I know what he means.  Let's play on that and unnerve them early on.

My only dilemma is when to arrive at the pub so that I'm not too far gone by the time the match kicks off.

Great analysis BOF.

Don't think Arsenal is a great match up for us at all with all their pace and movement upfront, I'm always worried when fast players are running at our defence, Baker and Vlaar always tend to lunge in when people run at them which worries me, Okore had a shocker v Southampton but at least him, Richardson and Bacuna all have recovery pace, Baker and Vlaar don't once people get past them.

We will get chances though. Whether that's at 0-0 or when we're 3-0 down is up to Sherwood. I can't believe he'd be that stupid to go gung ho from the first minute. Better to sit back a bit like Swansea and Sunderland have done in recent games, watch Arsenal miss a few chances and get frustrated and then things will start to open up on the break.

Be interested to see the team Wenger selects, with our left back issues selecting Walcott is an open goal but most on Arsenal Mania seem to think he'll stick with Ramsey on the right which is obviously not his most effective position.

We can win, we probably won't as we need a lot of things to go for us for victory.

Worth remembering though Arsenal have needed extra time to win their last three major games at Wembley against limited oppositon and I'm sure if you check back Hull didn't go into last seasons final in great form (remember how easily we beat them at VP).

Aston Villa hero Peter McParland still feeling blows of 1957 FA Cup final

Next Saturday morning Peter McParland will say goodbye to his wife Carol, leave home in Bournemouth and later in the day take his seat at Wembley Stadium. The man born 81 years ago in the granite town of Newry, County Down, will not be recognised by Arsenal supporters at the FA Cup final and only Aston Villa followers of a certain age can still recall the Northern Irishman’s exploits at the ground on a sunny day in May 1957.

McParland can claim to be the greatest winger in Aston Villa’s history. He may now also be the grand old club’s greatest fan, and he is a living reminder of the days when the FA Cup, which many now consider an annoying distraction from the money-driven Premier League, was at the heart of people’s lives and the final the most important date on football’s calendar. The 1957 final between Aston Villa and Manchester United’s “Busby Babes” certainly shaped McParland’s life.

“Villa were the only team I ever wanted to play for. My father, John, left Northern Ireland during the war to work in a factory in Birmingham and he got me interested in them. At 15 I had a trial with Dundalk, just across the border, and at 16 I got into the first team as a 30-bob-a-week amateur.

“I began working as an apprentice coppersmith at the rail works in Dundalk and when I was 17 I went to Birmingham with a Newry boys’ club to play a Birmingham side, Shamrock Rovers. In 1952 we visited Villa Park and the Villa manager, George Martin, asked our manager if we had any promising players. I suddenly found myself playing against the Villa first-teamers. Villa signed me. Dundalk wanted £5,000 and Villa paid them £3,800 and I began on £12 a week with a £10 signing-on fee.”

Lots more on link.

Anyone who has yet to click on the above link really should.

Peter is a Villa legend and we really need to win this one for the boys of 1957.

Could anyone really tell Peter, Nigel Sims or Jackie Sewell that we have no chance of beating Arsenal in the final? 

Lets win it for Peter, Nigel, Jackie and for our past & present Villa players/managers/fans on Saturday!  

Edited by John
  • Like 4

I very rarely ever dream.. Or remember them anyway! Last one I had came true. All I remember was the score 5-4 Villa. Must have been penalties. Put all your hard earned.. It's gospel lol

In all seriousness how good is it seeing the thread title. Buzzing

Dont think the last game vs them is anything to go by, we played a defensive line we'd never played before and haven't since, it was suicide, hopefully arsenal will underestimate us based on that game

Did you watch the Southampon game last week?

I want more people to say what score they dreamt. Fascinating and not boring

Well in that case I had a dream about Katie Hopkins which almost got ... y'know ... but my alarm clock woke me up in time.  And no I have no idea why it happened either.  Maybe I eat cheese before I went to bed or something.

tumblr_inline_mk9p0votkQ1qit8lu.gif

I have a new machine, which can see into dreams. This is how yours ended:

HopkinsST_468x368.jpg

Shocked at the attitude of some on here. We may as well not turn up. It's a one off game and one which, on our day, we are more than capable of winning.

Well, we haven't for the past two games.

With sherwoods steadfast reluctance to play cissokho I pray that Richardson will be fit instead of putting hutton/lowton/zog there.

-----------guzan-----

Hutton vlaar Okore richardson

----Westwood cleverley delph-------

--------Grealish nozgbia--------

------------Benteke------

The only thing in confident of is giroud scoring. (no goals on 8 games now)

My only hope is that we do no freeze like we did in 2000, and the ref doesn't screw us over like the league cup in 2010.

Edited by Jimzk5

With sherwoods steadfast reluctance to play cissokho I pray that Richardson will be fit instead of putting hutton/lowton/zog there.

-----------guzan-----

Hutton vlaar Okore richardson

----Westwood cleverley delph-------

--------Grealish nozgbia--------

------------Benteke------

The only thing in confident of is giroud scoring. (no goals on 8 games now)

My only hope is that we do no freeze like we did in 2000, and the ref doesn't screw us over like the league cup in 2010.

Okore is a massive doubt

I still think given the occasion and given the fact that Clark is definitely out that if there is any chance in hell of Okore playing then he will.  But yes, he is a massive doubt :(