The FA Cup Final Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

We're 11-2 with Hill's, that's pretty long and is a fair reflecton of how I feel about it I think.

Head says we'll need a miracle, heart thinks it's doable. Head wishes heart would **** off in order to avoid crushing dissappoinment. 

Don't suppose anyone is around Rome on Sat? ;)

• Like 2

Until a couple of weeks ago I thougt we had a real chance of competing with Arsenal and lifting the cup. We were playing such progressive, attacking football and some of our key forwards/midfielders had exploded back into form, along with the exciting addition of Grealish. 

But the Southampton and Burnley games saw such a drop in form that I no longer think we can lift ourselves back up to the level needed to give Arsenal a decent game however bullish Sherwood is about our prospects.

Better just to think of it as a great day out at Wembley  that will be enjoyable whatever the outcome. Unless Timmy works a miracle, I can't see us getting a result.

If Villa somehow manage to win on Saturday it will be the first time I've seen Villa win something (was to young in '96). It will make up for the past five years in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

The more I think about it, the more I realise how monumentally **** we are. Walcott running at Richardson, Cazorla and Ozil threading through balls in between Vlaar and Baker. I actually think this could be a cricket scoreline. Hope i'm wrong.

She wore, she wore, she wore a claret ribbon

She wore a claret ribbon in the merry month of May

And when I asked her why she wore that ribbon

She said "it's for the Villa and we're going to Wembley"

Wembley! Wembley!

And we're all pissed up and we're going to Wembley

Wembley! Wembley!

We can do this.....Come on Villa!

• Like 1

Interesting that most Arsenal fans/linked journos think that Wenger will revert to his favoured frontman in Giroud rather than Walcott, despite his goals at the weekend. Whilst Giroud is no doubt a threat, I'd feel more nervous about facing Walcott for some reason. Perhaps conceivable given that Walcott may well be out of the club in the summer.

I agree Walcott is hot at the moment, however it might be worse to have the pace of Walcott coming off the bench against tired legs. 

My biggest fear is that it's going to be an embarrassing defeat and that we don't even give Arsenal a game. I can take a loss, but if we can't get into the game at all I'll be so disappointed.

• Like 3

I hate this, I hate wanting this so much and hate that my club nearly always lets me down :(

But those times they don't let you down...

can't see it in a game as big as this. Think I'd have more luck waking up with Eliza Doolittle next to me!

My best buddy is a Gooner and I'm supposed to watch the final with him and a few neutrals. It'll be awful is we lose.. but if we win....

Feel for you chap. Had to watch the 2010 final with a Man. United fan....from Shard End who watches SHA and wastes no time in rubbing it in when we have poor results.

I've had better days!

• Like 1

Depending on how the game pans out, I actually worry for my health slightly. I'm a pretty healthy person but I get nervous easily with Villa and this is by far the most important game of my time as a fan (didn't get properly into football until about 2001 so don't really remember 2000 well). If it goes to penalties I'll be genuinely worried about a heart attack.

You'll survive. What were you like for the Carling cup final?

My heart was thumping massively when Milner scored but gradually went down as Man. United took control for the rest of the game and the inevitably sinking feeling.

Interesting that most Arsenal fans/linked journos think that Wenger will revert to his favoured frontman in Giroud rather than Walcott, despite his goals at the weekend. Whilst Giroud is no doubt a threat, I'd feel more nervous about facing Walcott for some reason. Perhaps conceivable given that Walcott may well be out of the club in the summer.

Im more nervous about Giroud, no goals in 8 games so hes bound to score against us

Giroud has a very good goalscoring record against us since he's been in this league.

It's pros and cons with both, Walcott on the right against Richardson would terrify me tbh. I actually think upfront he has to play with his back to goal a lot and drop deep so you can mark him out of the game like we did with Sterling in the semi.

With Giroud you can obviously play a higher line but he's a danger on crosses and set pieces into the box, get loads of goals with those near post runs.

I actually think Wenger will start both and take out one of the central midfielders. He'll want a quick start in this final and not have to come from behind again like in the Hull game so it makes sense to have your best players on the pitch from the start.

Until a couple of weeks ago I thougt we had a real chance of competing with Arsenal and lifting the cup. We were playing such progressive, attacking football and some of our key forwards/midfielders had exploded back into form, along with the exciting addition of Grealish. 

But the Southampton and Burnley games saw such a drop in form that I no longer think we can lift ourselves back up to the level needed to give Arsenal a decent game however bullish Sherwood is about our prospects.

Better just to think of it as a great day out at Wembley  that will be enjoyable whatever the outcome. Unless Timmy works a miracle, I can't see us getting a result.

Thing is, the Southampton and Burnley games were probably affected by this final. It's not a valid excuse for shit performances but I have no doubt that it's been on the players' minds.

Depending on how the game pans out, I actually worry for my health slightly. I'm a pretty healthy person but I get nervous easily with Villa and this is by far the most important game of my time as a fan (didn't get properly into football until about 2001 so don't really remember 2000 well). If it goes to penalties I'll be genuinely worried about a heart attack.

You'll survive. What were you like for the Carling cup final?

My heart was thumping massively when Milner scored but gradually went down as Man. United took control for the rest of the game and the inevitably sinking feeling.

I wasn't there then. Also, an FA Cup final is much bigger than a League Cup final to me.

The more I think about it, the more I realise how monumentally **** we are. Walcott running at Richardson, Cazorla and Ozil threading through balls in between Vlaar and Baker. I actually think this could be a cricket scoreline. Hope i'm wrong.

Reading, Hull, SHA and Wigan all have poor players compared to Arsenal and none of them had any trouble giving Arsenal a game at Wembley.

Yes some of the match ups don't look great on paper but if you set the 11 up correctly to deny space, Arsenal will get frustrated and give you space on the break. I think the Sunderland game last week was a perfect example of this, Sunderland parked the bus for most of the game yet still had 3 very good chances to score, chances Benteke would bury.

Sherwood just needs to get the tactics right for the first half which will set the tone. Bar the Southampton disaster he's been very good at that since he came so I trust this we'll play Arsenal at their own game talk is just mind games.