The FA Cup Final Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

my confidence for winning this has disappeared.expected us to beat burnley after the shocker at southampton.but with being at home and wanting to put the 6-1 right they wasnt able too.hopefuly its a case of they been consuming energy for the final and not wanting to get injured but i think the effort that went into staying up is taking its toll.add to that Arsenal getting a confidence boost of Sandwell Town yesterday and next weeks game doesnt look to promising

Hopefully a couple of players will get a day or so off to recharge the batteries because they looked dead on their feet yesterday.

We go into this game as massive underdogs, with a defensive injury crisis and on the back of two poor performances.

I can just hope that the adrenaline kicks in on match day and the boys give their all.

Id be tempted to stick sanchez in for this 1, hes more physical then westwood and Arsenal flood the middle of the park

But he does not pass the same as Westwood and therefore our midfield doesn't function as well.

I'd bring Sanchez on with 10 to go if we're winning though!

We are not going to win. FACT.

Dream's over, guys.

Surely since it's a fact and all you'll be putting absolutely every penny of your money on an Arsenal win then? Arsenal are 4/7 to win the cup on Sky Bet so a £10,000 bet for example will net you over £5,000 profit. Surely such easy money can't be passed up? It's a fact that we'll lose after all so there's no chance of you losing your money.

I want more people to say what score they dreamt. Fascinating and not boring

Well in that case I had a dream about Katie Hopkins which almost got ... y'know ... but my alarm clock woke me up in time.  And no I have no idea why it happened either.  Maybe I eat cheese before I went to bed or something.

tumblr_inline_mk9p0votkQ1qit8lu.gif

• Like 3

If we'd lost to Everton and West Ham but beaten So'ton and Burnley, we'd all fancy us to win. Momentum innit.

I'm almost glad Arsenal blew their load yesterday though

i'd like a left back fit for this please.

I think it's good that we don't have an established line up, there are question marks everywhere still, it'll hopefully keep everyone on their toes.

In goal, I'd guess Given if he's fit and Guzan if he's not; unless Sherwood and Guzan have fallen out on things and he's already got one foot out of the door, in which case Steer could start. All options are possible.

At the back, well, we know that Bacuna, Hutton, Baker and Vlaar are fit, we also know none of them are left backs. I'd guess that Okore and Richardson will come back into contention. Richardson, Okore, Vlaar and Hutton? Right back is very interesting, you'd expect we'd want the little extra experience and solidity of Hutton, but Bacuna is a favourite of the manager and a bit more of a swashbuckler, I think we'll learn a bit about our approach from that choice.

The midfield three pick themselves I think, the one solid thing we do have Delph, Cleverley, Westwood. Those three are going to have to work their socks off and if they can outwork the Arsenal three, they can win us the game.

Then the attacking bit. Benteke is nailed on and rightly so, and I think Grealish is pretty much a definite, so the choice comes down to whether it's Grealish behind Benteke and Agbonlahor or Grealish and N'Zogbia behind Benteke. For this game, I'd be tempted to use N'Zogbia, because Arsenal are all midfield, but I also think that with Grealish occupying Coquelin there might be a case for Gabby's pace in behind a defence that has it's hands full of Benteke. I'm naturally more cautious than this manager I think and I'm not sure what he'll do - I'd be surprised to see Sinclair.

For me, if Delph, Cleverley, Westwood and Grealish do well, then we can win, we're not favourites by a long chalk, but we can.

• Like 1

Benteke on his day is unplayable as we know, and I get the impression he's the kind of player who revels in the big occasion.  Having lost out on the world cup and with this being the biggest shop window he'll have played in to date, I think he is our biggest reason to feel positive.  I can't imagine Arsenal's back line is looking forward to facing him.  I also think Wenger will probably think that stopping Benteke means stopping Villa, so I think it will be Coquelin on Tekkers like a bad rash from minute one.

I agree completely with Scott's assessment above including what we can derive from Sherwood's right back choices and the supporting cast for Benteke.  I would tend to think we will go with a partner for Grealish behind Benteke instead of a partner for Benteke in front of Grealish if only because Gabby hasn't played a lot of football in the run-up.  Maybe that's because we've been keeping him fresh since we became safe.  I don't know.

I just know we need to keep it tight for the first 15 minutes.  It took us a while to figure out Liverpool in the semi but once we did they had no answer.  Arsenal can and do start at 100mph and they'll have seen how we can be blown out of the water early on from recent matches.

The most important thing is that we go into this and play our game.  If we go in scared and try to stop Arsenal playing their game then we'll get a hiding.  If we go in with confidence and play our own game and get the ball to Benteke then I think we've a good chance.  Paul Merson said after our semi-final that he'd genuinely rather Arsenal were playing against Liverpool in the final because Liverpool are a more predictable opponent.  I know what he means.  Let's play on that and unnerve them early on.

My only dilemma is when to arrive at the pub so that I'm not too far gone by the time the match kicks off.

• Like 2

Monday:

Didn't think about the game today at work. Busy day with work, went to the dentist and got my hair cut. Now watching the playoff final and I can't wait for Saturday.

Gut feeling: We will lose in spectacular fashion