The FA Cup Final Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

Depending on how the game pans out, I actually worry for my health slightly. I'm a pretty healthy person but I get nervous easily with Villa and this is by far the most important game of my time as a fan (didn't get properly into football until about 2001 so don't really remember 2000 well). If it goes to penalties I'll be genuinely worried about a heart attack.

A few (or more) beers will definitely be consumed prior and during to keep nerves in check, I'm nervous enough already. Penalties would certainly be unbearable, I could barely watch when we got the last minute one against WBA, I have no idea how the players do it.

I don't actually drink but I may have half a pint before the game if it'll help with the nerves.

Also I'm deathly pale most of the time as it is so I dread to think how bad I'm going to look on the day.

Goose

Bacuna   Senderos  Vlaar   Cissokho 

Westwood

Cleverley                     Delph

Gil             Grealish

Benteke

That would be my team but it's very unlikely that any of Gil,Cissokho or Senderos will even make the 18.  Hoping for the best but fearing the worst. 

I think Sherwood will go:

Given

Bacuna  Vlaar  Baker  Richardson

Westwood

Cleverley   Delph

Grealish

Benteke   Agbonlahor

But then again I also think he'll start N'Zogbia.  :huh:

Have we been fielding 12 players recently...?

I know I said I think it's more likely that Sherwood will go with someone beside Grealish instead of someone beside Benteke, but actually now that I think about it, if there was one player of the 22 on that pitch who this match mattered the most to, it would probably be Gabriel Agbonlahor, so on that basis of motivation alone I think I'd start with him.  Maybe put him just behind Tekkers, but I think if he's match fit then you kind of have to have him on the pitch.  He will bust a gut in this match.

• Like 1

And I know we have to hope that they'll be 'on their day', but you gotta admit that 'on their day' a strike force of Gabby and Benteke will scare the shit out of anyone.  BFG is a red card waiting to happen with those 2 running around him.  Then add some Grealish :)

No, stop now, I'm getting all optimistic :D

• Like 1

It's began, I'm starting to panic for no reason. I feel my heart pounding and I wonder what it is. Then I realize I'm panicking about the game :/ Anyway, just for the sake of it, my team would be

Guzan

Bacuna Vlaar Okore Cissoko

Cleverly Westwood Delph

Grealish

Benteke Gabby

Gabby seems to enjoy playing against Arsenal too. Specially away from home. 

It's a really tough one, you'd think Arsenal will play with a relatively high line so Gabby's pace could be so useful, but our best form this season has come with Zog and Grealish playing behind Benteke. 

Tough call for Sherwood. 

Brilliant stuff.

Aston Villa fan Prince William says he is starting to feel the nerves ahead of Saturday's FA Cup final with Arsenal.

The Duke of Cambridge, who is also the FA president, will be at Wembley to watch the game and present the trophy to the winning side.

In an interview with Gary Lineker for Football Focus, Prince William, 32, said: "I'm nervous now. I'm terrified."

Prince William also spoke of his hopes Prince George and Princess Charlotte will grow up to be Aston Villa fans.

In his first broadcast interview since the birth of Charlotte on 2 May, which will be broadcast on BBC One at 12:10 BST this Saturday, Prince William talked about:

• how he first became an Aston Villa fan
  • his thoughts about Aston Villa under Tim Sherwood
  • his role as FA president
  • his desire to see racism in football "stamped out"
  • his support for grassroots football

Prince William said he became a Villa fan when he was at school because he was keen to follow a team that could give him more "emotional moments".

"I was looking round for clubs to support and all my friends at school were either Manchester United fans or Chelsea fans," he said.

"I didn't really want to follow the run-of-the-mill teams, and I wanted to have a team that was more middle of the table, that could give me the more emotional rollercoaster moments. To be honest, now looking back, that was a bad idea…I could have had an easier time!"

Prince William plans to let his children make their own choice when it comes to choosing the team they support but said it would be hard not to encourage them to follow in his footsteps.

"The responsible thing would be to say, to let [George] make his own mind up, but I think I might be quite biased," he added.

"I haven't quite worked out how to play that yet. Of course he can support whoever he wants, but if he supports Villa, it'd be fantastic. I'd love to go to the odd match with him in the future.

"It'll probably end up being that Charlotte is the Villa fan and George will go and support someone else!"

Aston Villa have won the FA Cup seven times but their last victory was in 1957.

Whatever happens on Saturday, Prince William believes the club has a bright future with Tim Sherwood as manager.

He said: "I think it's been an interesting season for Villa, the last two seasons have been quite hard work, being close to relegation

"The guys have battled through, they've done seriously well, and I'm really excited about Tim's leadership, he's doing a really great job with them."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32921787

• Like 2

I am ridiculously excited. Bloody nerves have settled right in.

Its a tough one, but Gabby is a big game player and on his day can hurt anyone. If he is running off Benteke then this could be our best hope.

Problem is, he doesn't seem match fit and in his appearances recently he has looked beyond turgid.

Interesting that most Arsenal fans/linked journos think that Wenger will revert to his favoured frontman in Giroud rather than Walcott, despite his goals at the weekend. Whilst Giroud is no doubt a threat, I'd feel more nervous about facing Walcott for some reason. Perhaps conceivable given that Walcott may well be out of the club in the summer.

Interesting that most Arsenal fans/linked journos think that Wenger will revert to his favoured frontman in Giroud rather than Walcott, despite his goals at the weekend. Whilst Giroud is no doubt a threat, I'd feel more nervous about facing Walcott for some reason. Perhaps conceivable given that Walcott may well be out of the club in the summer.

Im more nervous about Giroud, no goals in 8 games so hes bound to score against us

Nervously excitedly shitting bricks already and have been all week. Been throwing myself into work trying to take my mind off it. My team would be

Guzan

Bacuna okore vlaar Richardson

Westwood

Cleverly. Delph

Grealish

Gabby. Benteke

Let's all have fun

Got asked what I am doing this weekend by someone at work. Just shut up. Its gonna be nervousness, agony and alcohol topped by a defensive mistake by Ron Vlaar to ruin the whole thing.

Gut feeling today: See above

Guzan 

vlaar    senderos     baker      cissoko

westwood

cleverly                           delph

gabby                grealish

tekkers

Given would start surely? He's back from injury and he's played in the run up to the final:

Given

Bacuna Okore Vlaar Richardson

Westwood

Clevs                   Delph

Grealish

Benteke  Gabby

Edited by tomh621