The FA Cup Final Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

Aston Villa hero Peter McParland still feeling blows of 1957 FA Cup final

Next Saturday morning Peter McParland will say goodbye to his wife Carol, leave home in Bournemouth and later in the day take his seat at Wembley Stadium. The man born 81 years ago in the granite town of Newry, County Down, will not be recognised by Arsenal supporters at the FA Cup final and only Aston Villa followers of a certain age can still recall the Northern Irishman’s exploits at the ground on a sunny day in May 1957.

McParland can claim to be the greatest winger in Aston Villa’s history. He may now also be the grand old club’s greatest fan, and he is a living reminder of the days when the FA Cup, which many now consider an annoying distraction from the money-driven Premier League, was at the heart of people’s lives and the final the most important date on football’s calendar. The 1957 final between Aston Villa and Manchester United’s “Busby Babes” certainly shaped McParland’s life.

“Villa were the only team I ever wanted to play for. My father, John, left Northern Ireland during the war to work in a factory in Birmingham and he got me interested in them. At 15 I had a trial with Dundalk, just across the border, and at 16 I got into the first team as a 30-bob-a-week amateur.

“I began working as an apprentice coppersmith at the rail works in Dundalk and when I was 17 I went to Birmingham with a Newry boys’ club to play a Birmingham side, Shamrock Rovers. In 1952 we visited Villa Park and the Villa manager, George Martin, asked our manager if we had any promising players. I suddenly found myself playing against the Villa first-teamers. Villa signed me. Dundalk wanted £5,000 and Villa paid them £3,800 and I began on £12 a week with a £10 signing-on fee.”

Lots more on link.

• Like 1

I think we have to play the way Sunderland played the other night. Which won't necessarily make for the best game of football but who gives a flying monkeys if it means we win the cup! 

Massively disciplined and committed at the back, sit deep and say to them "come on Arsenal, break us down". As someone else said, Arsenal tend to get very frustrated when teams do this and if we can get to the hour-mark on even terms, it really could play into our hands. With the pace, trickery and power of Delph, Benteke, Grealish and Gabby, we are gonig to get at least one good chance in the game and we just HAVE to take it.

Another thing Arsenal don't like is the physical game. We need all 11 to be 110% committed for the whole 90 minutes - first to every ball and every tackle. It shouldn't be hard to motivate the players as this is their chance to make it into the history books, after all.

An early Arsenal goal would be potentially disastrous to this game plan. An early Villa goal could really play into our hands if we do indeed set out to counter-attack.

One last thing, IF we are to lose, please make it within the 90 minutes. I don't think I could handle taking them to extra-time and losing. Penalties and losing? Just don't even go there!

Just win Villa, just win. Please.

Edited by VillaAndLoyal
  • Like 1

I think we have to play the way Sunderland played the other night. Which won't necessarily make for the best game of football but who gives a flying monkeys if it means we win the cup! 

Massively disciplined and committed at the back, sit deep and say to them "come on Arsenal, break us down". As someone else said, Arsenal tend to get very frustrated when teams do this and if we can get to the hour-mark on even terms, it really could play into our hands. With the pace, trickery and power of Delph, Benteke, Grealish and Gabby, we are gonig to get at least one good chance in the game and we just HAVE to take it.

Another thing Arsenal don't like is the physical game. We need all 11 to be 110% committed for the whole 90 minutes - first to every ball and every tackle. It shouldn't be hard to motivate the players as this is their chance to make it into the history books, after all.

An early Arsenal goal would be potentially disastrous to this game plan. An early Villa goal could really play into our hands if we do indeed set out to counter-attack.

One last thing, IF we are to lose, please make it within the 90 minutes. I don't think I could handle taking them to extra-time and losing. Penalties and losing? Just don't even go there!

Tim said in an interview that even though he acknowledges Arsenal's abilities, there's no point in backing up. He wants to go toe-to-toe and see what happens.

Tim said in an interview that even though he acknowledges Arsenal's abilities, there's no point in backing up. He wants to go toe-to-toe and see what happens.

Naive.

Toe to toe against Arsenal will end with a Southampton result. Frustrate them like Swansea did and we might have a chance.

• Like 1

Toe to toe against Arsenal will end with a Southampton result. Frustrate them like Swansea did and we might have a chance.

Exactly.

We're going to get thrashed arnt we [emoji17]

What is the biggest losing margin in the FA Cup final?

Edit" Bury 6-0 Derby (1903) apparently.

At least we will get another (unwanted) record!

Edited by DK82

Everything points at a minimum 5-0 thrashing from the Gooners but my dreams keep repeating a 0-2 half time and a 3-2 win at the end with Jack Grealish doing a Ricky Villa through the Gooner defence to bag the winner in the fourth minute of injury time.

At that point I leap from the top tier to meet my maker with the biggest grin on my face you've ever seen ..... look up when it happens !!!

Edited by Paul33
  • Like 1

Think there are some massive overreactions on here off the back of two bad games. What about all the good performances that came before them, including the semi-final? I'm not saying we'll win because I don't think we will but anything can happen in a cup final and let's face it, at least part of the reason why we did poorly these last two games is because the players have had one eye on the final.

Edited by Mantis

Think there are some massive overreactions on here off the back of two bad games. What about all the good performances that came before them, including the semi-final? I'm not saying we'll win because I don't think we will but anything can happen in a cup final and let's face it, at least part of the reason why we did poorly these last two games is because the players have had one eye on the final.

So you basically just said you also think we will lose, but its an over reaction when others say it lol
  • Like 1

So you basically just said you also think we will lose, but its an over reaction when others say it lol

Not at all - you're putting words into my mouth. Some people are going on about how we'll get smashed by 5/6 goals - that is what I think is an overreaction. Predicting we'll lose certainly isn't.

Thought this was all blatantly obvious?

Edited by Mantis

My hope is that Arsenal don't turn up. They never seem to perform at Wembley e.g against Small Heath, Wigan, Hull and Reading.

Despite not turning up for any of those matches they only lost one of them.

I'm just going to try and enjoy the day and hopefully we will spring a surprise and win!

I'm generally an optimistic person but I can see Arsenal going 2 up or something early doors and then I will be despairing with myself thinking that we could win it. I cant honestly put into words how much joy I would get from winning it. Please please win Villa.