Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Rondon from Zenit who we were linked to is off to WBA fot 15mil.

Bleeding hope not, would be an amazing signing for them. The lad will score hatfuls in the prem.

Edit: Just seen the reports, disappointing. I mentioned him a few weeks back and was told unrealistic signing on here.

Wouldn't have bothered signing Ayew if the money could've gone towards Rondon, he'd have been a perfect Benteke replacement rather than the doubts we have now.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

20 goals in the Russian would be on par with 20 goals in the Championship so chill out

You realise he's scored 20 goals in La Liga for Malaga plus a fair few in the Champions league and Europa league. His international record is pretty decent aswell.

This is Albion's best signing for years, put it this way he's miles better than Brown Ideye.

Lennon will prove to be a decent bit of business. 5m is a snip. Look forward to seeing him in claret and blue.

Levy initially had a £9m asking price. I doubt we'd get him to drop to that until the very end of the window, if at all.

Edited by Isa

Lennon was pretty good at Everton I thought although invisible in the game at VP (as were most of their team bar a strong 2nd half from Lukaku).

To me though he's a player who fits better into a 4-4-2 rather than a 4-3-3 and I'm just not convinced by us playing two centrally if that is the plan this year especially with an unconvincing backline and the full backs bombing forward.

Everton were smart and used him for a short-term impact signing which is all he can ever be. Lennon is a head down pace-merchant, exactly the profile of winger I was hoping we wouldn't sign. The only positive thing I can say about it is that it's not Townsend at least.

• Like 1

My eyes may have deceived me but seems in some games Martinez got him taking up more central positions to receive balls so maybe as he's getting older he's realising he can't expect to keep running up and down the line all day although yeah if we sign him I fully expect him to play wide right.

Everton were smart and used him for a short-term impact signing which is all he can ever be. Lennon is a head down pace-merchant, exactly the profile of winger I was hoping we wouldn't sign. The only positive thing I can say about it is that it's not Townsend at least.

I don't really understand what a "short term impact signing" could be? It's not as though the league suddenly went bloody hell, who's this guy... 

I don't think he'd start every week anyway, he certainly wouldn't if he played as you think he plays.

Options are good, competition for places is good. 

• Like 1

I don't really understand what a "short term impact signing" could be? It's not as though the league suddenly went bloody hell, who's this guy... 

I don't think he'd start every week anyway, he certainly wouldn't if he played as you think he plays.

Options are good, competition for places is good.

Well short-term means it was short-term in duration. Despite not being an unknown quantity in himself, Lennon offered something different for Everton and it tied in with Martinez taking a less idealistic approach (i.e. more direct, playing a front-two and less emphasis on possession) which resulted in their good run towards the end of the season.

If they felt he could offer that consistantly I'm sure they would have signed him by now. However, the likes of Lennon are too predictable to ensure consistancy throughout a season. He'll have the odd purple patch but limited player overall, in my opinion.

20 goals in the Russian would be on par with 20 goals in the Championship so chill out

You realise he's scored 20 goals in La Liga for Malaga plus a fair few in the Champions league and Europa league. His international record is pretty decent aswell.

This is Albion's best signing for years, put it this way he's miles better than Brown Ideye.

he has never scored more than 15 league goals in a season

he has never scored more than 15 league goals in a season

15 league goals would be a fantastic return and would go a long way to persuading me that he will bring something to the team. Our players have mainly been averaging 4 or 5 league goals per season, with the exception of Benteke.

You can never say what player would a success will baggies under pulis. His style of football only suits a particular style if football

one reason I can't say it dem is because I've read it 4 times and still can't understand it
  • Like 2

You can never say what player would a success will baggies under pulis. His style of football only suits a particular style if football

Have you ever had a dream that you, um, you had, your, you, you could, you’ll do, you, you wants, you, you could do so, you, you’ll do, you could, you, you want, you want them, to do you so much, you could do anything?

Yup! Exactly this

Very pleased with the business done so far but still have some glaring gaps - we absolutely need two more

Firstly we still look to be struggling at RB - Hutton and Bacuna are not the answer and Crespo is IMO cover at best - ideally Richards would fill this role but he seems to be on a promise to play at CB.  £8m?

Secondly we have not got nearly enough up front - TS seems to want to go the Berbatov / Adebayor route but I would prefer a younger prospect. £12-15m

Additionally, someone with a little guile in midfield or a tricky wideman wouldnt go amiss but I think we have just enough here with Gil, Bacuna, Grealish plus Gabby, Ayew and Sinclair

• Like 2