Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Loving this window so far, however we desperately need a quality centre back IMO.

Agreed, I we think we do too, we need an experienced leader who is prepared to put his body on the line

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

My spuds mate whos a season ticket holder reckons we have enquired about walker from them apparently trippier will be first choice but walker wants regular football. I personally want a centre half in we have loadsa fullbacks. Trent have you heard this.

• Like 1

I don't think we're going to be getting another centre back. A right back I could see (although probably a younger developmental player rather than a starter).

I know a lot of people see Richards as just a right sided full back, and maybe that is where he should be played, but I think he's been assured by Sherwood a Centre Back position. At least until Christmas. He's made him Captain. Why would he then break a different promise and play him in a position he doesn't want?

So that leaves three places left in the squad and one left sided starting position. We have Clark, Okore, Baker, Senderos, and Crespo.

Crespo is going to be our versatile defender. Can play all the positions.

Okore has potential and isn't going anywhere.

Baker appears to be on the way out.

Senderos I imagine will be doing the same, if theres a suitor. If not, it's not bad to have a veteran presence around.

And there's Clark. Who was one of our better players last year. Showed some progression.

So our options are likely:

• Buy a left sided centre back to play ahead of Clark.
  • Buy a developmental left sided centre back.

Personally? I'd prefer the latter. I think Sherwood would like the chance to develop him further too.

I'm not saying it won't happen, in fact our defence could be much better if we buy a different centre back, I just don't think we'll do it. Not this summer at least.

• Like 1

1. Looking at quality across the pitch now. Great window.

2. Need one more CB imho.

3. We're a little bit stuck if Guzan gets a long-term injury.

I think Bunn has been decent. Think he could do a job if Guzan does get injured.

1. Looking at quality across the pitch now. Great window.

2. Need one more CB imho.

3. We're a little bit stuck if Guzan gets a long-term injury.

I think Bunn will surprise a few people if he gets an opportunity, he's more than adequate back up in my opinion

I still want Richards to go to right back and we invest in a real top quality cb to play alongside Clark.

No doubt it will be Hutton and Richards first choice. Does anyone think it may have been some sort of condition that Richards made to join - he was joining to play cb?

The potential signings over the next couple of days again leaves me pondering what our preferred formation will be.

Guzan

Bacuna richards Clarkamavi

Gueye. Veretout

Ayew. Gil. Grealish

Adebayor

Plenty of back up options now. Anyone else fancy this lineup?

I'd go for a diamond formation and have Westwood or Sanchez at the base and Grealish or Gil at the tip with Adebayor and Ayew up top.  The diamond is how I think Sherwood will go. 

Guzan

Bacuna richards Clarkamavi

Gueye. Veretout

Ayew. Gil. Grealish

Adebayor

Plenty of back up options now. Anyone else fancy this lineup?

I'd go for a diamond formation and have Westwood or Sanchez at the base and Grealish or Gil at the tip with Adebayor and Ayew up top. The diamond is how I think Sherwood will go.

Yeah that's a good shout. I was just chucking an idea out there with our new signings. I can't wait now lol

Loving this window so far, however we desperately need a quality centre back IMO.

It ain't over yet....

You still expecting a low "net spend"? My maths wonder how we can still go on if we don't start net spendin'

It ain't over yet....

You still expecting a low "net spend"? My maths wonder how we can still go on if we don't start net spendin'

I think we are still £8m or so in the black. Maybe about even should Gestade complete and then depends how they account for the loan "fee" for Adabayor. 

We've enough for one more of the same kind of quality after that I'd say. Preferably an £8m French defender called Jordan.