Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Correct me if I'm wrong lads, but here is how I see our current Depth chart (only players signed/of note are mentioned):

GK:

Guzan

Bunn

Steer

RB:

Bacuna

Hutton

CB:

Richards - Clark

Okore - Crespo

Baker - Senderos

LB:

Amavi

Richardson

Cissokho

DM/BTB:

Gueye

Sanchez

Westwood

Gardner

Herd

AM/W:

Grealish

Gil

Sinclair

N'Zogbia

Cole

ST:

Ayew

Kozak

Agbonlahor

I fully expect us to sign Gestede and potentially Adebayor, which is definitely needed as we are light on for strikers if we want to play two up top. Also a chance we sign Veretout, which I believe is desperately needed as well.

I see everyone saying we need another CB. I don't think we do, at all. We have three PAIRINGS on our books. That is more than enough cover surely. I wholeheartedly believe that Micah will be played as a CB for the duration of his time here as well. I think that's the plan and I think it's pretty obvious to be honest. Based on that, I really think we need a quality RB before we need another CB. I'd also like to see us beef up our midfield, with another Winger/Attacking mid, and another Box to Box, but I feel as though they are less of a priority. After that I'd be looking at another Keeper.

But for all the cries of another CB, I don't think it's justified (obviously you wouldn't say no, but I feel a RB should be more of a priority).

Bacuna shouldn't be counted as a right back! He's been playing right mid all pre season & only played right back out of necessity in the past season or so. Crespo has been brought in as a utility player but has operated mostly at right back, I think we def need a centre half.

Edited by mightysasquatch

Reminds me so much of when big Ron came in sold platt and bought a load on the back of that and made a better team

This would be true if we were a better team after selling benteke.

We're not. We are a couple of signings away from that even after the veretout one goes through.

GK: Guzan, Bunn (2)

RB: Hutton, Bacuna, Crespo (3)

LB: Amavi, Bennett, Richardson (3-1=2 because Amavi is officially under 21)

CB: Okore, Clark, Richards, Senderos, New Guy That's Been Hinted At (5)

MC: Westwood, Sanchez, Gueye, Gardner, Veretout (5)

AM: Sinclair, Grealish, Ayew, N'Zogbia, Cole (5-1=4 because Grealish is under 21)

ST: Adebayor, Agbonlahor, Kozak, Gestede (4)

Makes a squad of 25, assuming we say goodbye to Cissokho, and Baker. Obviously if we sold e.g. N'Zogbia we could keep e.g. Cissokho.

Home-grown: Bunn, Bennett, Richardson, Clark, Richards, Westwood, Gardner, Cole, Sinclair, N'Zogbia, Agbonlahor. That's eleven, we need at least eight.

Obvious weak link here is depth in centre half. Wonder who Timmy has lined up there.

Edit: thanks, VILLAMARV!

Gil?

Correct me if I'm wrong lads, but here is how I see our current Depth chart (only players signed/of note are mentioned):

GK:

Guzan

Bunn

Steer

RB:

Bacuna

Hutton

CB:

Richards - Clark

Okore - Crespo

Baker - Senderos

LB:

Amavi

Richardson

Cissokho

DM/BTB:

Gueye

Sanchez

Westwood

Gardner

Herd

AM/W:

Grealish

Gil

Sinclair

N'Zogbia

Cole

ST:

Ayew

Kozak

Agbonlahor

I fully expect us to sign Gestede and potentially Adebayor, which is definitely needed as we are light on for strikers if we want to play two up top. Also a chance we sign Veretout, which I believe is desperately needed as well. 

I see everyone saying we need another CB. I don't think we do, at all. We have three PAIRINGS on our books. That is more than enough cover surely. I wholeheartedly believe that Micah will be played as a CB for the duration of his time here as well. I think that's the plan and I think it's pretty obvious to be honest. Based on that, I really think we need a quality RB before we need another CB. I'd also like to see us beef up our midfield, with another Winger/Attacking mid, and another Box to Box, but I feel as though they are less of a priority. After that I'd be looking at another Keeper. 

But for all the cries of another CB, I don't think it's justified (obviously you wouldn't say no, but I feel a RB should be more of a priority).

Crespo is a FB according to this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_%C3%81ngel_Crespo

Looks like Baker and Cissokho are going and Herd is a free agent but is training with the club while he tries to find a new one.

So with Crespo as a FB and Baker on his way we actually only have 4 CB's (one of which, Richards, is not a natural CB and one, Senderos, is injury prone). The general concensus on here is that we need a new 'quality' CB that will walk in to the first team. Rather than bringing in cover for Clark, Okore and Richards, lets bring in someone better than them and let them all work/fight for a starting place. That will improve the team imo

• Like 2

Personally I think alot of our success will depend on how well Gestede makes the step up. He has the attributes to really do well for us.

My only concern is defence. Sherwood hasn't exactly been that focuses on the defence and although we have numbers we lack quality. Okore is injured till September. Baker, Richardson, Cissokho, Senderos are not good enough. Especially for the way we want to play. That leaves Richards and Clark to partner up. I just think that's a calamity waiting to happen. We need competition for them.

Still think we will sign Cambiasso. We will definitely need a centre back. Richards will end up at rb after a few bad games at Cb. Sherwood can't lose. Promised him first chance at centre back and if he goes well...Great. If not he will tell Micah sorry your at rb or bench. Inevitable I think. Baker and Senderos will be off. So leaves us with Okore Clark and possibly Crespo. We need one maybe two centre backs. Ours get injured alot too. I read somewhere that the Vlaar offer is still on the table. Pay as you play deal. Who knows. Prefer we buy two new defenders

Still think we will sign Cambiasso. We will definitely need a centre back. Richards will end up at rb after a few bad games at Cb. Sherwood can't lose. Promised him first chance at centre back and if he goes well...Great. If not he will tell Micah sorry your at rb or bench. Inevitable I think. Baker and Senderos will be off. So leaves us with Okore Clark and possibly Crespo. We need one maybe two centre backs. Ours get injured alot too. I read somewhere that the Vlaar offer is still on the table. Pay as you play deal. Who knows. Prefer we buy two new defenders

Vlaar is out for 4 months with a knee problem anyway.

Vlaar is out for 4 months with a knee problem anyway.

Yeah I know something tells me he will still be available if we need him in 4 months for whatever reason

Seen a few tweets about Zlatan now. Hmm...

1870_900.gif

;)

I'm happy enough that he's on my national team. if he moved to villa? well my life would be complete. I'm not ready for that ^^.

Crespo is a FB according to this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_%C3%81ngel_Crespo

Looks like Baker and Cissokho are going and Herd is a free agent but is training with the club while he tries to find a new one.

So with Crespo as a FB and Baker on his way we actually only have 4 CB's (one of which, Richards, is not a natural CB and one, Senderos, is injury prone). The general concensus on here is that we need a new 'quality' CB that will walk in to the first team. Rather than bringing in cover for Clark, Okore and Richards, lets bring in someone better than them and let them all work/fight for a starting place. That will improve the team imo

Even IF 2 CB's go, we still have 4.

If you want to start assuming, which is fair enough, you'd have to assume that actually Bacuna is a RM. that only leaves Hutton. That is absolutely scary.

Yes Richards CAN play there, but at this stage there's no indication of that, in fact it's been stated he's a CB. Crespo, essentially same deal. Looks more a CB than a RB to me, don't you reckon?

I take your point about signing a starter who can walk into the team at CB, but surely, obviously, one of those is more needed at RB?