Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Number 10 role for Gil. Too lightweight for the hustle and bustle of central midfield really.

In an ideal world for me:

Gueye             Delph

Praet

Gil                    Grealish

Benteke

That would be good to watch I'm sure.

• Like 1

I don't understand, are you saying that Delph is not a naturally offensive player?

Once again, we signed Gueye over 2 weeks ago. I remember it happening as I was supping a weiß bier in Munich at the time. So the announcement was one of attempted distraction more than anything else, a wasted PR attempt. The two signings are not linked.

Delph's role for us isn't. His offensive contribution remains rather restricted, as is often eluded to. How long ago was it that City's interest was first covered? Delph always had the release-clause, so it was probably was in the offing for a while. Reasonable theory in my opinion.

Delphs role changed towards the end of last season, as in under the current manager. It was certainly box to box, a duty he shared in the main with Cleverley. I would have said, from not missing a single one of those last 12 games live and in person, that he was actually the more attack minded of the two.

It is a theory. There's just very little evidence for it. We've not appeared in the recent past to be a club to spend £9m on a player on the off chance another may leave.

Delph certainly should score more than he does but I feel he lacks a bit of composure once in the box, too many times the ball gets stuck under his foot and we lose the chance so I wouldn't be relying on him to be the main goalscoring midfielder next season.

Townsend removed everything to do with spurs from his twitter profile and has retweeted a photo of him and Delph boarding a plane for England from June.

Let the ITK's emerge...

hasn't retweeted recently was retweeted 12th June

He is better than what we have so hope we sign him.

Edit: I don't really care what we spend as long as there is money left over for more signings. If it takes up the majority of our budget then you have to question the logic.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

I think most agree that Townsend isn't worth £15m BUT I'd still be quite happy with the signing. Although clearly not on the same level, much like signing someone like Beckham, you're currently buying someone who brings hype with him. Although it may not be value for money, it still sends a signal when you're buying a hyped up England international and looks good. Obviously the hope is that his halo doesn't slip while he's at the club, although Sherwod should know what he's capable of more than anyone.

However, I still would be very shocked if there was any truth in this rumour. Seems a little out our budget, Benteke sale or not, wages would be massive and sure he'd have better options should Spurs even choose to sell him.

Also quick glance as his twitter as mentioned above - last thing was a month ago so doubt any link to any move!

• Like 1

I think some fans are underestimating how much of a decent signing this possibly could be for us.

Being able to land a current young English player, considering how poorly we've been the last couple seasons would be a huge lift. Richards picking us, Delph staying I s a huge turn around for the club.

It's all just rumours obviously with Townsend but I think it would show we are trying to improve.

Edited by mightysasquatch
  • Like 3