Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

A mate of mine who's a Barnsley fan reckons we're going to sign Mason Holgate from them. Apparently he's a right back but can also play centre back. 18 years old.

They rate him higher than John Stones as well!! Wouldn't mind us taking a punt on him
That's exactly what my mate said too (the John Stones bit)

If thats the case how come they got 3 mill for stones and only want 1 for holgate

Holgate's contract expires next summer, was Stones' that close when Everton got him?

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

I thought Gueye had previously been compared to Ramires?  Slight build, breaks up play/reads the game well and has "recently added goals to his game" too.  Sounds like an all-round box-to-box player from what I've heard - never seen him play, mind.

Me neither really. I mean, I remember him a little bit from the time when Garcia managed there. I don't know what he has developed into since but from what I've read, it seems he plays box-to-box as you say - strong play-breaker, great engine and drives from deep. Cleverley was a workhorse but always more onus on his offensive game historically. As I saw it, he was the more advanced of the midfield-three last season and the one to break between the lines/make late runs under Sherwood. So not sure Gueye is a natural fit for that. Although, all depends on what formation/system we even plan to go with of course - it may be totally different this season.

I fully believe they'll offer 32m for Benteke once they get Sterling money, that's always been my view so yes I expect Benteke to leave in the near future.

Agree or they'll try and offer £30m.

Liverpool wanted £50m for Sterling and get £49m. They will try and do the same to us. It's business.

Either way hope this is sorted out soon so we can get replacements in pretty quick.

I fully believe they'll offer 32m for Benteke once they get Sterling money, that's always been my view so yes I expect Benteke to leave in the near future.

Agree or they'll try and offer £30m.

Liverpool wanted £50m for Sterling and get £49m. They will try and do the same to us. It's business.

Either way hope this is sorted out soon so we can get replacements in pretty quick.

dont think villa will care they got 1 mill less than they wanted

they have just got 49 mill.they can afford ' the clause ' and will be told pay it or go im sure

• Like 1

Deciding to announce Gueye straight after the Delph news came out indicates to me that he was intended as his replacement. I maintain that I believe Sherwood would've gone for a more naturally offensive player to replace Cleverley.

I don't understand, are you saying that Delph is not a naturally offensive player?

Once again, we signed Gueye over 2 weeks ago. I remember it happening as I was supping a weiß bier in Munich at the time. So the announcement was one of attempted distraction more than anything else, a wasted PR attempt. The two signings are not linked.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

Surprised there hasn't been more on the story in the People today, said Vlaar has turned down a pay-as-you-play deal which isn't a surprise and that West Brom will put in a bid for Clark this week. Clark won't leave as report says Pulis will play him at left back. :crylaugh: 

Surprised there hasn't been more on the story in the People today, said Vlaar has turned down a pay-as-you-play deal which isn't a surprise and that West Brom will put in a bid for Clark this week. Clark won't leave as report says Pulis will play him at left back. :crylaugh:

saw a snippet in paper talk on sky sports app saying lost vlaar n possibly clark...Clark wont leave tho im sure of it

I don't understand, are you saying that Delph is not a naturally offensive player?

Once again, we signed Gueye over 2 weeks ago. I remember it happening as I was supping a weiß bier in Munich at the time. So the announcement was one of attempted distraction more than anything else, a wasted PR attempt. The two signings are not linked.

Delph's role for us isn't. His offensive contribution remains rather restricted, as is often eluded to. How long ago was it that City's interest was first covered? Delph always had the release-clause, so it was probably was in the offing for a while. Reasonable theory in my opinion.