Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Townsend?  Would be great if real football resembled Fifa 96, all straight and diagonal runs and sudden stunners from 30 yards.  Alas, we do not live in that wonderful world and must instead get with the 'joypads with buttons on the back' era.  Sad.

• Like 1

If Liverpool are swapping Sterling for Benteke and still retaining £18m in the bank, that is an exceptional piece of business of Liverpool's part.

Almost rivals the ridiculous fee they robbed from Chelsea via Torres.

QPR are getting £9.8m from the Sterling deal :)

Townsend would be a class signing for us! People go on about Gil as if hes messi, when really in all his games hes mustered one good performance.

Biggest load of cobblers I've read all day.

which part?

It's arrant drivel from beginning to end, which is impressive considering it's only one sentence. 

'All his games' amounts to barely half a dozen matches, some of which were off the bench, after a mid-season transfer to a new country that he barely speaks the language of, to join a bottom-half team on a terrible run of form with a crap manager who'd lost the dressing room. This country also happens to have the fastest and most physical league on the planet, even if not the most skilful, and you're giving him half a dozen games to adapt before you write him off altogether? If that's genuinely the pace of adaptation you expect then we should pack up all of our foreign scouting operations because there's barely a single player on this planet that we could realistically sign who could match your expectations.

The worst of it is that it's not even close to being an accurate summary of his performances. Far from giving only 'one good performance', he gave about three or four and was named the 'signing of the transfer window' by the BBC. 

Ludicrous historical revisionism. 

Scouts in Attendance ‏@scoutsattending 21h21 hours ago

#avfc scout watched Nuneaton 0-0 Coventry on Sat. 18yo #ccfc MF James Maddison prev linked & hit bar with FK #pusb

- Would be pleased if anything comes of this, I have two Cov fan mates who cream themselves over him.

I dont see Coventry fans as people so dont know how they are your friends

More mutual acquaintances

Townsend is worth £5m maximum. As with Guzan, I'm more interested in what he does for his club rather than against some lower-league standard teams at international level. Initially, I did like the look of him when he got the odd game for Spurs and then that loan spell at QPR. However his unknown quantity value wore off and he has been exposed now as the archetypal one-trick pony winger who lacks delivery, a final-ball or any real end-product in general. Would be a monumental waste of money.

England international playing for spurs and a media darling, you won't get him for under £10m

We paid £10-12m for young, Milner and downing, I don't think Townsend is as good as any of those 3 but when you add where transfers have gone in the last 5 years then his market value is easily in the same bracket

• Like 2

Arbitrary discussions of a players "worth" are totally pointless. 

If the club feels they want a player they will offer/pay the maximum amount they are prepared to pay in order to secure his services........ and the selling club will accept the minimum amount they are prepared to accept in order to hand over his registration. 

Fan's opinions on "worth" are irrelevent. There are good deals and bad deals within that spectrum - but its all really academic. 

• Like 2

I think we could get 3 people better than Townsend for 15mil. 

As in all 3 cost a combined £15m.  I agree.  He's the worst combination in terms of over-valuation. He's English.  (Somehow) a current international, plays in London and of all clubs he plays for Spurs.  You couldn't make up a more over-valued tick list than that.  I wouldn't mind if he was actually any good.

• Like 2

Being linked with Sergi Darder.

http://www.calcionews24.com/l-aston-villa-vuole-chiudere-per-darder-450068.html

CALCIOMERCATO INTER ROMA ASTON VILLA Darder -

After toying with the idea of playing in the Italian league for Sergi Darder I can open wide the doors of the Premier League. The Spanish midfielder ofMálaga , has learned by our staff, it is close to closing with Aston Villa. There is an agreement with Malaga for a figure close to ten million Euros but the club of Birmingham should be finalized before the two supplies. 

ROME WINDOW - Darder like Inter and love to Rome where he Sabatini in a fan. The player and his entourage are in question with Aston Villa and could come soon for the white smoke. 

Can't say I know much about him.