Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

All I've seen in Twitter guff is that Begovic doesn't want to sign a new deal with Stoke (am I right in saying he has one year left?), but also say he doesn't want to go anywhere to be a back-up keeper.

I wonder how many other Prem teams would be after a new first choice keeper.

Edited by Rob182

Stoke Sentinel reporting Begovic to Villa

I don't understand why He's attempting to leave/Stoke Rw trying to get rid? What's the deal here? Saw him linked with Chelsea with Moses part of the deal.
he would be back up at chelsea and apparently moses doesn't want a perm deal to stoke

coming here i would say Sherwood would put him number 1 but i dont see him joining us

I know Guzan's distribution can be iffy and sometimes he doesn't save the easy shots, but I feel that he is worth more than writing off after one mistake against Man City.

I don't think that Goal keeper is the priority position for transfer

• Like 1

i agree replacing Guzan shouldn't even be on the agenda and for all we know it may not be

Guzans not brilliant but hes better than a back up keeper.that pass to Aguero was a huge mistake yeah but he shouldnt of been given the ball in the first place

• Like 1

Stoke apparently close to shaquiri for 9m now that would be a real marquee signing for us

Thankfully it looks like he wants to join Inter.  That would have been a very annoying signing if they'd managed that.

Regarding Begovic.  Ignoring our own opinions of our keepers for a moment.  We know Sherwood has chopped and changed them so he is clearly unsure about them.  It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he was interested in bringing in arguably the best available keeper in the Premier League.

• Like 1

I find it baffling how one sliced kick (happens to every single player in every single position) can suddenly make you a poor keeper.

Probably because it isn't about 'one sliced kick'. 

It may not be, but flip it another way. If Guzan doesn't make that mistake, we're not even having this conversation.

• Like 2

Stoke apparently close to shaquiri for 9m now that would be a real marquee signing for us

Thankfully it looks like he wants to join Inter.  That would have been a very annoying signing if they'd managed that.

Regarding Begovic.  Ignoring our own opinions of our keepers for a moment.  We know Sherwood has chopped and changed them so he is clearly unsure about them.  It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he was interested in bringing in arguably the best available keeper in the Premier League.

Agreed, Begovic is an improvement on both Guzan and Given.

I do like Guzan and rate him to a certain extent, but cant be sentimental as the current team finished 17th in the league last year, any position that can be improved on, then go for it.

• Like 2

I find it baffling how one sliced kick (happens to every single player in every single position) can suddenly make you a poor keeper.

given against Southampton?Long said he knows Given likes to play sweeper and what happened?now that was givens fault he basicaly asked to get done there because surely being 39 he would know in the prem league with the game going as it was stay close to ya goal

Guzan did not intentionaly slice that kick to Aguero.you cant put everything on Guzan when theres a shocking defence infront of him

• Like 1

It may not be, but flip it another way. If Guzan doesn't make that mistake, we're not even having this conversation.

Hmm not sure, he may not have been dropped on the spot like he was but I still think Tim will have looked to replace him this summer.

• Like 1

It is clearly not about that oft-quoted `one mistake'. Guzan has been shaky and unsure for a large part of the season. I have not been confident watching him, he himself does not look confident. Given has been a great keeper, but age sadly has caught up with him.

I can fully understand why Sherwood might want to improve this very important position. Consider how many games where a keeper has won the game by his performance.

To me its about every other sliced kick he does when he is kicking out/clearing the ball.  Unfort at this level shot stopping isn't enough these days.  I think he is average at coming for crosses by the way as there are people on here are saying he is great at.