Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Which of the tat that left did you have a connection too?

Ok so Delph and Benteke. Well the first one was a **** snake and the second, great player but as a hero? Meh.

So, what? You're annoyed we are replacing them and that it costs money to do so? As I said, maybe you're better off watching non league. That's not a knock, each to their own.

In honesty Benteke is a Hero to me, were it not for him we'd be ..

Edit, terribly off topic. Never mind.

Edited by Shillzz

Which of the tat that left did you have a connection too?

Ok so Delph and Benteke. Well the first one was a **** snake and the second, great player but as a hero? Meh.

So, what? You're annoyed we are replacing them and that it costs money to do so? As I said, maybe you're better off watching non league. That's not a knock, each to their own.

In honesty Benteke is a Hero to me, were it not for him we'd be looking forward to a season in the Championship this year, probably our second year infact. The fact that he didn't spout a load of BS about loving the club is neither here nor there. In terms of service to the club, I'd have him right up there with Mellberg and Laursen.

Fair enough. I accept that, even if I don't quite have the emotional attachment. So there's one...

Let's get back on topic.

I think that a quality cb coming would mean we could aim for 8th. I wonder what surprises Tim has for us. Guess we have around 10-15m left based on money in and out. So we could still see our biggest transfer in of the summer.

Would love for us to go for someone like a laursen when we got him. Mid to late 20s. Solid leader type player. But can't think of anyone who fits the bill.

I am sorry to say this, but I don't like all this buying...Feels like something Tottenham and West Ham would do. Yes, the team is better, but being a supporter is being able to identify with players. Right now, all is left from a potential starting line up is Guzan, Gabby and Clark. If they are replaced with new players...well it does not feel like my team anymore.

This makes no sense. How did you feel when the players you identify with replaced other villa players when they signed? Aston Villa has been around for a long time and it doesn't feel like your club because some shit players who were here for a few years have been replaced? Makes no sense to me.
And they were absolute shit. In 23 years supporting the club they were close to being the worst collectively I've had the misfortune to watch.

I never really warmed to Benteke despite his obvious talent, Delph I maybe did but the way he left was a perfect bookend. The rest can go **** themselves. Utterly hopeless.

Charming.

And they say there is no loyalty in football...

We shouldn't be loyal to shit players who are only good enough to enable us to just survive in this league.

Any player who pulls on the shirt and puts in a shift should get our support.

That is what loyalty is.

• Like 2

Let's get back on topic.

I think that a quality cb coming would mean we could aim for 8th. I wonder what surprises Tim has for us. Guess we have around 10-15m left based on money in and out. So we could still see our biggest transfer in of the summer.

Would love for us to go for someone like a laursen when we got him. Mid to late 20s. Solid leader type player. But can't think of anyone who fits the bill.

I think Baker will go on loan and another CB will come in , then you are left with Richards / Okore /Clark to fight out the 2nd CB place

The last time we made such radical changes as this Big Ron changed us from pathetic whipping boys to second best team in the country inside two years.

Sign me up for some of the football we played back then, and the goals we scored.

said the same the other day and again all funded by the record sale of our best player
  • Like 1

Re Big Ron. Very much reminds me of that although I'm a bit young to remember the season before we finished 2nd. However football has changed a lot and we will have to be patient whilst the team find an identity.

Re transfers, I reckon we will see a few outs this week.

GOAL! Swindon 0-1 Liverpool (Benteke 48)

What a strike from Benteke!

That's what Liverpool paid for. A stunning turn and volley from 20 yards right into the top corner to open his Reds account. Fantastic technique from the Belgian and Liverpool lead.

Sorry I know it's off topic.Still slightly annoying though.

Who is this Benteke? Why do we care what he does if he does not do it in a Villa shirt?

I look forward to seeing him mentioned in transfer window speculation in the next year or two when he is seeking an end to "his Liverpool hell" and a move to us. That is when I will take notice of that player again other than when he lines up against us. 

• Like 1

I hope we were smart enough to insert a sell on clause. Probably not.

I think Baker will go on loan going off sherwoods interview as he wants him to play 30-40 games. He won't get that here. So we will bring in a CB.

Gardner out on loan. Cissohko will leave to Serie A. Tonev will go. Hopefully Nzogbia and Senderos.

If we aren't seriously linked to, and ideally have signed up, a good experienced centre half this week I'll be concerned. Every other position would be nice to improve in, but we need a good centre half in short order. Another striker, winger, whatever we can sort in good time but the defence needs shoring up with some quality, now.

I am sorry to say this, but I don't like all this buying...Feels like something Tottenham and West Ham would do. Yes, the team is better, but being a supporter is being able to identify with players. Right now, all is left from a potential starting line up is Guzan, Gabby and Clark. If they are replaced with new players...well it does not feel like my team anymore.

I can see where you are coming from. Recent teams have been some way off the teams of the late 70s, the early 80s and the early/mid 90s to me as well. But we do have to replace players with new ones at some point in time.

This year we have had to replace some players who wanted to leave us with some players who want to play for us.

Villa is my team and will remain so whatever players we have in our shirt. Over the years I have missed players like Rioch, Gray, Gidman and Platt for example when they left to join other clubs. But I have given their replacements the appropriate backing as you and every Villa fan will do this time. 

• Like 3

If we were to carry on spending (big if) I think it'll be a developmental right back, right winger and maybe Adebayor.

Depending on if Gil is available I think we play 4-3-1-2 at Bournemouth.

i feel connection to players who come through the ranks or are bought at a young age and wear the shirt with pride

but that is a rare thing

as much as i loved his goals Benteke was off at the first opportunity, only injuries kept him at the club as long as he was and Spurs signing Soldado instead.

Milner and Downing were off as soon as the opportunity arose

Barry and Young at least stayed at the club a long time and I can't fault either for wanting to move to a bigger club. I hoped Barry like Staunton would come back.

But back on topic, we need someone with the experience and ability of Vlaar at CB without the terrible injuries, Richards is a good start but not a replacement

Edited by VillanousOne

Jeez, players come players go.

You support Aston Villa. The club goes on. It's wrong to hero worship players thinking they will always be Villa.

The only player we could revere as a career Villa man right now is Gabby. And he gets plenty of posts saying it would be best for all parties if he moved on!

In my time I have worshipped McGrath, Bosnich, Ehiogu, Yorke, Merson, Mellberg, Laursen and Benteke. Nearly all of those names moved on, because that's what happens in football. Guys you associate with Villa normally is because it was the best time of their career or they won something with us. Not because they bleed Claret and Blue.

This isn't the sport to have 'your team' who you identify. Support the team and embrace the change.

Sorry rant over, back on topic I still think we could do with a wide player and a cb. I think Richards would do ok there but can't understand why we wouldn't play him at rb and get proven quality in.

Edited by DamsonwoodVillan

I'm done with being attached to footballers. Fabian Delph was the final nail in the coffin for me in that respect.

If Tim could get a better player in, then I'd happily see any of our current squad sold. It's all about what is best for the football club when all is said and done.

Us fans are the only loyal things left in this financial abomination that is modern day football.