Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

I like Baker and think hes a good defender. He will be someone who comes back to haunt us if we let him go. Not at Cahills level but I think as he matures he will be become a steady Premiership center back.

And he can grow a decent beard.

I'd only sell Baker for mad money. I really like him and he's worth more to us than he is on the market. Plus without a replacement for Vlaar he's kinda vital at this moment in time.

I like Baker and he's willingness to put his head on absolutely anything, he's fine as a squad player but I'm not convinced the footballing intelligence is there to improve much more. I wouldn't be too gutted if he went, especially if it meant we bring in a quality CB.

• Like 2

Were light in CB department as it is plus he fills the english quota

Indeed, with most of our signings coming from abroad, unless we got offered an attractive amount which is unlikely from a Championship club, I don't see why we would let an important home-grown member of the squad go. I don't see why he'd want to drop down a division when he must be in contention for playing a fair bit, what with our luck with injuries, Vlaar going and possibly playing 3 at the back.

We won't play 3 at the back and we have Richards, Clark, Okore, Senderos and Donacien in our squad. If he's the only one we can shift, then it's a good deal. Get him out, potentially even on loan might suit both parties. Plays regularly for a season, proves his worth or finds his level

I'm fine with Baker going as long as we've got a young African footballer playing in ligue 1 lined up to replace him

There were rumours about NKoulou....

I wouldn't really want to see Baker go, but if he were replaced with NKoulou that could be quite an upgrade (if he settled in, adapted to the Premier League etc etc). 

I don't want us to become one of those sides that's petrified by the African Cup of Nations either. Losing two of our main players is quite enough thank you (Gueye & Ayew). I assume Adebaydonkey has retired from international football?

On the BBC live thread here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/33247636at 11:32am they talk about Diaby having a WBA medical and also their other targets. They say they are trying to deals for Rickie Lambert, Matt Phillips and  Ciaran Clark -

If we sold Clark and Baker who is going in defence, Jed Steer?

Bill Howell, who covers the Baggies of the Mail, believes that Clark will sign a new deal with us.

I don't want us to become one of those sides that's petrified by the African Cup of Nations either. Losing two of our main players is quite enough thank you (Gueye & Ayew). I assume Adebaydonkey has retired from international football?

Think he does still play for them but they're like the Faroe Islands of African football. AFCON not likely to be an issue here.

Selling Baker would mean at least 1 cb coming in if not 2. I think we could replace him with a lot better from around Europe for £4m-£5m so if we got anything over £3m for him it would be worth a go .

Edited by limvillian

Selling Baker would mean at least 1 cb coming in if not 2. I think we could replace him with a lot better from around Europe for £4m-£5m so if we got anything over £3m for him it would be worth a go .

I don't think we could.  Not that Baker is an awesome defender, but he's considerably experienced in the Premier League and has dealt with the pressures of relegation fights.  I don't think we can replace that knowledge or find a massive improvement for £4-5m.

Should keep him.

So with Ayew looking likely and another striker on the cards (e.g. Ade) do people feel more positive about our prospects next year?  What do we still need to strengthen.  Lets assume we don’t have an unlimited budget and we have to be selective, what are the biggest problem areas that we must fix?  For me we still need a strong right-side midfielder or winger.

Edited by Gary Thomas