2015 Takeover Thread

samjp26

Here's a link, obviously it doesn't let you read the whole thing because it's paywalled.

RANDY LERNER is in talks with an American consortium about a possible £150million takeover of Aston Villa.

Ah, ok. He must have switched to The Sun and I missed it.

regarding FFP lets say hypothetically speaking we are taking over by these guys, couldnt they in essence just rename villa park  Guggenheim Park in a deal worth 100m what could do UEFA do? I am sure there are ways around it

I think that loophole has been closed. However one way around FFP is to pay the fine !

the loophole is closed but it was only based on precedence and rough market value anyway, we couldn't have a stadium deal worth more than arsenal's for example, but if they didnt just sponsor the stadium, say we built a new training ground and academy complex, unlike anything anyone else has and sponsored that for record amounts then there isnt really a precedence or anything else in the market to compare it too and you can do what you like ;)

personally im not fussed where they come from, i think one of lerner's biggest problems is that he has nothing to prop up villa's losses other than personal wealth, we need owners with strong brand association, im of the belief that citys owners don't see it as a play thing and if you look at the growth of everything else they own the reality is they haven't lost money, UK based consortium doesnt sound promising on paper though, cant help but think of local business men and an ex pro as a figurehead like it used to be

• Like 1

As much as i want us to be succesfull, id hate to see glory hunters flock to AVFC

Plastic fans is the worst thing i know.

I couldn't care less if it meant we were a top team again.
This.
**** being Man City Mk. II tbh.
For those who don't want to see the best players in the world, title winning seasons and champions league games at Villa Park. Not to mention the best youth facilities in the country and a structure in place to create their own brand of football and talented players as well as making the club a worldwide brand producing massive amounts of revenue.

I wouldn't worry to much as FFP will make sure this will never happen. so you can relax and continue to enjoy relegation battles and maybe one day consistent mid table success again.

Imagine if there was a middle ground between being the next Man City and continuing relegation battles?
There is. It's called consistent mid table success as I mentioned.

Or maybe a consistent top 6 team whilst also challenging for cups here and there.

Or a top 4 team who occasionally makes a challenge for the league and wins some cups.

Either of those aren't "doing a man city"

My comment was aimed at people who don't want a Man City style take over to happen. I just said they don't need to worry because it's very unlikely it will happen due to FFP.

Of course the two scenarios mentioned above are also possible (although unlikely) without doing a 'Man City'.

I wonder if in 50-100 years time anyone will know or even care how Chelsea and Man City became such massive teams throughout the world. I also wonder if in the early 20th century when we won loads of Trophies loads of 'plastic fans' jumped on the bandwagon and the 'real' fans got annoyed with them.

I wonder if in 50-100 years time anyone will know or even care how Chelsea and Man City became such massive teams throughout the world. I also wonder if in the early 20th century when we won loads of Trophies loads of 'plastic fans' jumped on the bandwagon and the 'real' fans got annoyed with them.

I doubt that. Football was far more regional then, and it would have been seen as bizarre to support a 'non-local' club.

The first time I ever came across the phenomenon was after Manchester United's European Cup win in 1968. We all enjoyed watching the match, but when one kid at my school announced that he was henceforth a Man Utd fan, the idea was ridiculed. Little did we know what was to come.

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 3

My view is that most people who claim this (or use the whole 'lose our soul' angle) are really just comforting themselves that we are also-rans devoid of any ambition. I find it difficult to genuinely believe that anyone on here would be up in arms if we were a regular top-four side and winning titles simply because we had Arab owners, a sponsored stadium and some newfound glory-hunting fans.

Wrong.

I don't support Aston Villa because the club wins things.  If/when we do win things, it feels special.  There's a real sense of achievement behind it.  The whole Vidic incident potentially cost us a cup, I was gutted.  There was injustice - the "big club" had gotten away with it again.  I've seen us win 2 League Cups in my lifetime and that's it.  I'm honestly not that fussed about winning things - I just want to enjoy supporting Villa.  To be honest, that includes things like relegation battles (and there's certainly an argument that it's more thrilling than sitting mid table) because football clubs should have ups and downs.

If we genuinely became big spenders on the back of some mega-rich owners (I know, FFP etc, let's avoid that) there'd be no sense of achievement.  The League Cup would become irrelevant, likely - we'd care more about Top 4/CL football like the ridiculous fan base at Man City/Chelsea.  There'd be a whole feeling of self-entitlement because we've spent huge amounts suddenly.  Football is already completely tarnished by money; the thought of "joining in" doesn't thrill me.

It's different for different people, which is totally understandable.  For some, it's all about the winning and not so much about the taking part.  For me, I'd like to see Villa go on a journey rather than suddenly leap there.  I'd love to see the team work it's way up the league because of good management and excellent scouting, for example.  If it doesn't work, we get to moan about real issues (potential relegation etc) rather than a lack of CL football.  Regular top 4 places and new stadiums just fuel self-entitlement - looks at the idiots at Arsenal wanting Wenger sacked for delivering this season after season.  Pellegrini will probably be sacked this season.

So yeah, **** being Man City Mk. II tbh.

My view is that most people who claim this (or use the whole 'lose our soul' angle) are really just comforting themselves that we are also-rans devoid of any ambition. I find it difficult to genuinely believe that anyone on here would be up in arms if we were a regular top-four side and winning titles simply because we had Arab owners, a sponsored stadium and some newfound glory-hunting fans.

Wrong.

I don't support Aston Villa because the club wins things.  If/when we do win things, it feels special.  There's a real sense of achievement behind it.  The whole Vidic incident potentially cost us a cup, I was gutted.  There was injustice - the "big club" had gotten away with it again.  I've seen us win 2 League Cups in my lifetime and that's it.  I'm honestly not that fussed about winning things - I just want to enjoy supporting Villa.  To be honest, that includes things like relegation battles (and there's certainly an argument that it's more thrilling than sitting mid table) because football clubs should have ups and downs.

If we genuinely became big spenders on the back of some mega-rich owners (I know, FFP etc, let's avoid that) there'd be no sense of achievement.  The League Cup would become irrelevant, likely - we'd care more about Top 4/CL football like the ridiculous fan base at Man City/Chelsea.  There'd be a whole feeling of self-entitlement because we've spent huge amounts suddenly.  Football is already completely tarnished by money; the thought of "joining in" doesn't thrill me.

It's different for different people, which is totally understandable.  For some, it's all about the winning and not so much about the taking part.  For me, I'd like to see Villa go on a journey rather than suddenly leap there.  I'd love to see the team work it's way up the league because of good management and excellent scouting, for example.  If it doesn't work, we get to moan about real issues (potential relegation etc) rather than a lack of CL football.  Regular top 4 places and new stadiums just fuel self-entitlement - looks at the idiots at Arsenal wanting Wenger sacked for delivering this season after season.  Pellegrini will probably be sacked this season.

So yeah, **** being Man City Mk. II tbh.

Yeah... but going on a journey to being a successful football club isn't going to happen unless we have wads of cash. The only teams to break the previous Arsenal-Manchester United dominance have been.,.. Chelsea and then Manchester City. In the free market, greed-is-good, premier league money is the only way to real success. Villa could possibly become a top 8 side with the occasional decent cup run if run well like Swansea, but to be become a truly successful club we need filthy lucre. And lots of it.

I think people are overlooking what the Man City owners are doing for the club off the field. The stadium, the training facilities, the youth setup. They are doing big things for both the club and the City. Things that will make the club self sustaining for years to come. This is what I want from new owners.

• Like 1

That's why the maximum wage was created by the football league to stop teams dominating the competition such as Villa and Sunderland. And with clubs not sharing gate receipts, Sky's financial steroids and the Bosman ruling, that is why only 5 clubs have won the league in the last 22 seasons.

regarding FFP lets say hypothetically speaking we are taking over by these guys, couldnt they in essence just rename villa park Guggenheim Park in a deal worth 100m what could do UEFA do? I am sure there are ways around it

I think that loophole has been closed. However one way around FFP is to pay the fine !

They won't keep fining repeat offenders, they will ban them from Europe. That makes your attempts to get there almost pointless. You need Champions League football for the revenue streams to finally pass FFP and you also need it to attract the best players.

There's a reason Man City and PSG are trying to stay within the rules these days.

I did think it was strange that the headline was about Sherwood's future rather than the names being linked with the takeover. Probably made up guess work based on John Percy's and Moxey's reports, because they know not many people would see the actual article.

I did think it was strange that the headline was about Sherwood's future rather than the names being linked with the takeover. Probably made up guess work based on John Percy's and Moxey's reports, because they know not many people would see the actual article.

Wonder if they are just trying to unsettle us with the talk about Tim's future now being in doubt.

Â