2015 Takeover Thread

samjp26

be southampton who win nothing and miss out on champions league or be city and play in CL and win silverware hmm i wonder which i would choose!

I think you kinda missed the point I was making. 

I just don't want us picking up a load of plastic fans. I hate Chelsea and City. I don't want to become them. 

You don't want success for the club that you support? 

I'd take the success, I'd just want us to get there in a more respectable way. 

Although I suppose these days that is the only way of getting to the top

This is what the Sun article apparently says (I can't link to the original source but hope this link to where I saw it pasted is okay)

"From the Sun - RANDY LERNER is in talks with an American consortium about a possible £150million takeover of Aston Villa.
But the move casts doubt over boss Tim Sherwood’s future.
Lerner hopes to sell up after years of trying and a serious approach has been made by a group including veteran money man Henry Silverman and LA Dodgers owners Todd Boelhy.
The multi-millionaires tried and failed to buy Tottenham a year ago because they thought it was too dear, but their aim is to take over a Premier League club if the price is right.
Silverman and Boelhy are both connected to the Guggenheim Partnership, but it is their personal wealth behind the project.

Highly-respected Silverman has been working in high finance for years, holding leading posts in New York banking and investment circles.

Mega-rich Boelhy, who also owns famous baseball side LA Dodgers, is ready to 'strike out on his own' and look into other ventures according to sources in America. Villa is the target in his sights.
Sherwood's arrival has seen Villa climb away from danger and help Lerner find a potential buyer. Avoiding the drop is worth fortunes to the American owner.

But Sherwood's position may be under review if the takeover happens. Silverman and Boelhy have been advised to consider a new direction by the football experts in their team.

The pair may look for a global name. They see huge potential in making Villa 'America's football team in England' and the new TV deals and interest in the Premier League has whetted their appetite."

• Like 1

As much as i want us to be succesfull, id hate to see glory hunters flock to AVFC

Plastic fans is the worst thing i know.

I couldn't care less if it meant we were a top team again.
This.
**** being Man City Mk. II tbh.
For those who don't want to see the best players in the world, title winning seasons and champions league games at Villa Park. Not to mention the best youth facilities in the country and a structure in place to create their own brand of football and talented players as well as making the club a worldwide brand producing massive amounts of revenue.

I wouldn't worry to much as FFP will make sure this will never happen. so you can relax and continue to enjoy relegation battles and maybe one day consistent mid table success again.

Imagine if there was a middle ground between being the next Man City and continuing relegation battles?

There is. It's called consistent mid table success as I mentioned.

I could be wrong but I think he bought them with backing from Guggenheim, haven't got a clue how wealthy he is in his own right.

Edit: Just looked it up and it seems Guggenheim contributed just over a Billion dollars Boelhy 100 million dollars and the rest was up from other investors.

Edited by useless

As much as i want us to be succesfull, id hate to see glory hunters flock to AVFC

Plastic fans is the worst thing i know.

I couldn't care less if it meant we were a top team again.
This.
**** being Man City Mk. II tbh.
For those who don't want to see the best players in the world, title winning seasons and champions league games at Villa Park. Not to mention the best youth facilities in the country and a structure in place to create their own brand of football and talented players as well as making the club a worldwide brand producing massive amounts of revenue.

I wouldn't worry to much as FFP will make sure this will never happen. so you can relax and continue to enjoy relegation battles and maybe one day consistent mid table success again.

Imagine if there was a middle ground between being the next Man City and continuing relegation battles?

There is. It's called consistent mid table success as I mentioned.

Or maybe a consistent top 6 team whilst also challenging for cups here and there.

Or a top 4 team who occasionally makes a challenge for the league and wins some cups.

Either of those aren't "doing a man city"

• Like 2

This is what the Sun article apparently says (I can't link to the original source but hope this link to where I saw it pasted is okay)

"From the Sun - RANDY LERNER is in talks with an American consortium about a possible £150million takeover of Aston Villa.

But the move casts doubt over boss Tim Sherwood’s future.

Lerner hopes to sell up after years of trying and a serious approach has been made by a group including veteran money man Henry Silverman and LA Dodgers owners Todd Boelhy.

The multi-millionaires tried and failed to buy Tottenham a year ago because they thought it was too dear, but their aim is to take over a Premier League club if the price is right.

Silverman and Boelhy are both connected to the Guggenheim Partnership, but it is their personal wealth behind the project.

Highly-respected Silverman has been working in high finance for years, holding leading posts in New York banking and investment circles.

Mega-rich Boelhy, who also owns famous baseball side LA Dodgers, is ready to 'strike out on his own' and look into other ventures according to sources in America. Villa is the target in his sights.

Sherwood's arrival has seen Villa climb away from danger and help Lerner find a potential buyer. Avoiding the drop is worth fortunes to the American owner.

But Sherwood's position may be under review if the takeover happens. Silverman and Boelhy have been advised to consider a new direction by the football experts in their team.

The pair may look for a global name. They see huge potential in making Villa 'America's football team in England' and the new TV deals and interest in the Premier League has whetted their appetite."

Those are the names I was told last year.

I remember guessing at Mark Walter and Guggenheim in the summer and Kwan mysteriously liking and then unliking my post. Maybe he knew something after all, lol. Silverman and Boelhy along with Jonathon Goldstein started up Cain Hoy Enterprises who are tried to Tottenham. Also recently there have been reports of Boelhy going it alone and Guggenheim have responded by saying anything he does will be harmonious with them, whatever that means.

Edited by useless

be southampton who win nothing and miss out on champions league or be city and play in CL and win silverware hmm i wonder which i would choose!

I think you kinda missed the point I was making. 

I just don't want us picking up a load of plastic fans. I hate Chelsea and City. I don't want to become them. 

You don't want success for the club that you support? 

I'd take the success, I'd just want us to get there in a more respectable way. 

Although I suppose these days that is the only way of getting to the top

Success inevitably brings 'plastic fans' with you though, ok Man City's money has made the whole process a lot quicker but whatever way we were to be successful we'd gain fans that we didn't have before that start going to games and some that will never go to Villa Park, If it is a gradual rise to success it is a less noticeable change but the result is the same.

Look now, we don't get close to selling out most games, we rely on casual fans to sell out, whether that's as new fans or fans that have become disillusioned under Lambert and/or Lerner. From chatting to some Villa fans over the years, there's always been some say they are not going to step foot in Villa Park while ................ is in charge and that's been probably every manager since Gregory, less so for O'Neill and that probably speaks for itself in that it was a more successful period.

There is obviously going to more satisfaction doing it the 'proper way' but is it even close to being possible? Maybe being competitive but not regularly challenging for league and cups. Southampton have done amazingly well of following up losing players and more than maintaining their position. It will be interesting to see if they can maintain this level consistently, I’m not sure they will.

Here's a link, obviously it doesn't let you read the whole thing because it's paywalled.

RANDY LERNER is in talks with an American consortium about a possible £150million takeover of Aston Villa.

Didn't Moxley, who started this stuff again the other day, say last year that the owners of a baseball team were in for us but the deal hit a snag? Fits in with what is coming out now, with a dropped price however (last year I'm sure it was £200m he had us touted at).

regarding FFP lets say hypothetically speaking we are taking over by these guys, couldnt they in essence just rename villa park  Guggenheim Park in a deal worth 100m what could do UEFA do? I am sure there are ways around it

regarding FFP lets say hypothetically speaking we are taking over by these guys, couldnt they in essence just rename villa park  Guggenheim Park in a deal worth 100m what could do UEFA do? I am sure there are ways around it

I think that loophole has been closed. However one way around FFP is to pay the fine !

Â