2015 Takeover Thread

samjp26

We're not a publicly trading company though, we're privately owned.

Unless you're referring to Cain Hoy?

yes cain hoy, that was the only reason i could see for the statement

If you assume there are no rules regarding disclosure potential purchase - you will be closer to the mark. This is a private sale - so there need be no announcement - indeed some clubs have been purchased an even then the identity of the buyer remains a secret.

The only rule I am aware of is that if you aquire over a certain % of shares of a listed company (which we aren't) - you have to declare who you are.

I think they will want to remain annonymous - to prevent anyone else stepping in with a bid at the last minute. Doug gained control in 1982, after Harry Parkes thought he had the deal in the bag - and if you remember there were a few bidders that came late on when Lerner purchased us.......I would expect a similar scenario this time...

That's not what I'm saying

What I'm saying is that 2 major shareholders of another company are linked to buying us which has an impact on what they already own so they have to declare it

If there is major speculation that Cain hoy are going to buy us then there will be a fluctuation in Cain hoy shares and under the rules of the stock exchange you aren't allowed to let that happen, which is why they have to release a statement

Utd had to do it when the fergie retiring rumours came out in the press, they had 24 hrs to confirm because it led to a dip in share value

What I'm suggesting is that some of these being linked to us aren't going to be able to think ignorance is bliss and sit there silent until the summer

Any UK based Consortium I think would be in it for the money. We would be floated on the stock exchange again earning them a fortune and as long as we tread water and stay in the Prem the TV money will fund squad purchases. Not excited by that prospect hope I am wrong.

• Like 2

Mainly a rehash of the Percy article but I suppose if Lerner is flying into England for discussions then it adds weight to the claim that the buyers are UK based.

Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner is due in England before the end of the week as he presses ahead with plans to sell the club.

Lerner has entered into discussion with a consortium over a proposed £150million sale of the Midlands club.

And Sportsmail understands Lerner is expected to fly into Birmingham over the coming days for further discussions regarding a sale.

Talks over a takeover are understood to be at an advanced stage and Lerner’s decision to fly into England is viewed as a key step towards the completion of a deal.

The consortium is in the due diligence stage of their proposed takeover, though the eventual price of the sale will depend on which league Villa are playing in next season.

Lerner’s expected arrival in the Midlands comes after it emerged Lerner’s Midlands property has been made available as part of the takeover. The farmhouse, located in Bodymoor Heath, is understood to be worth in the region of £3m.

Lerner has been keen to sell Villa for some time, a period that has seen the club go through a difficult period on the pitch.

The sacking of Paul Lambert and subsequent arrival of Tim Sherwood has helped stimulate the club, as has their pending FA Cup semi-final.

But Villa are still in danger of dropping into the second tier of English football for the first time since 1987.

Lerner is desperate for the team to avoid that scenario as he looks to receive his full £150m asking price.

Relegation into the Championship would severely lower Villa’s value, possibly as much as half. The consortium expect to complete their takeover soon after the end of the season.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3020321/Randy-Lerner-flies-England-push-Aston-Villa-sale-bids-offload-club.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490 Edited by Isa

I don't think Lerner coming to England is any indication of the nationality of the buyers. Wherever they're from I'm sure they'd meet at Villa Park / Bodymoor Heath at some point.

• Like 1

about bloody time, hopefully these guys turn out to be football men and run club more effectively than lerner has

You know what, MON buys a striker that can score goals instead of Emile Heskey and Randy Lerner probably goes down as a club legend for backing the manager and not interfering after we cement a top 4 spot. These are the margins.

That's true of course Pete - sort of - but even if things had gone even better under MON and we did reach the CL there's no reason to think we would have stayed there nor that MON would have stuck around indefinitely. At some point Lerner's decision making would have come in to play and since MON left its been dreadful on almost every level.

I've never doubted that Lerner's heart is in the right place but ultimately he just wasn't up to it. I won't forget the good times when he does leave, but neither can I forget 5 years of needless misery ever since. Let's just hope it doesn't end with relegation. Could we win the cup as a send off? Too romantic, surely...

• Like 1

about bloody time, hopefully these guys turn out to be football men and run club more effectively than lerner has

You know what, MON buys a striker that can score goals instead of Emile Heskey and Randy Lerner probably goes down as a club legend for backing the manager and not interfering after we cement a top 4 spot. These are the margins.

Its not just the transfers remember mcleish gate? No one wanted him.yet Lerner ignored all the fans and poached him from blose even though he relegated them

Complete disaster as we all knee from the beginning

Its not just the transfers remember mcleish gate? No one wanted him.yet Lerner ignored all the fans and poached him from blose even though he relegated them

He then hired Lambert - a manager many fans wanted. Same result - if not worse.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I think that's being very generous.

He then hired Lambert - a manager many fans wanted. Same result - if not worse.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

It's not just one decision though is it? It's the way the clubs been run for years and consistent bad decisions which means, even when he makes one we all agree with, there are still limitations and restrictions that still effect it.

He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't because he's been pretty awful at running the club.  

• Like 1

The idea of a consortium fills me with horror tbh. Look at QPR - they've had consortia ownership of some of the richest blokes in the world (Ecclestone/Mittal et al) and that hardly did them any favours. A collection of "business types" looking for a vanity project would be terrible.  

If its not one fabulously wealthy bloke with a plan I'd rather stick with what we have tbh.

Can we please ban the phrase "football people" - I don't want "football people" near the club. The FA is full of them, they're all dicks.

Edited by Eames
  • Like 1

If its not one fabulously wealthy bloke with a plan I'd rather stick with what we have tbh.

I'll take anyone with a plan over what we have right now. 

We're going nowhere with our current plan.

I don't think we can know if a consortium will be good or bad until we know the individuals involved. And when they say consortium it doesn't have to mean that they're all chipping in financially some of them might be involved for other reasons.

This just laments of what a total clown he is, tight margins as this shaping the future for what could have been so good...or what ended up so bad.

His plan was moronic, shambolic, whatever you want to call it over the long term.  A few small hicups, the taps are turned off and we're pushed to the absolute edge of relegation.

He put his entire hand in one fate, qualifying for champions league...gambled with the villa and we got burnt.  Can't wait to see the back of this guy.

If there is major speculation that Cain hoy are going to buy us then there will be a fluctuation in Cain hoy shares and under the rules of the stock exchange you aren't allowed to let that happen, which is why they have to release a statement

Utd had to do it when the fergie retiring rumours came out in the press, they had 24 hrs to confirm because it led to a dip in share value

What I'm suggesting is that some of these being linked to us aren't going to be able to think ignorance is bliss and sit there silent until the summer

OK - Ive heard its Richard Branson and Virgin - does that mean he now has to make a statement to the stock exchange ?

Cain Hoy - so far as I am aware have made no statement to the stock exchange denying the rumour ? - are they in breach of the rules ?

Now if the rumour grows and grows - the company may choose to come out and deny it - but I doubt there is any legislation forcing them to do so.....

Â