2015 Takeover Thread

samjp26

Aren't the whole point of non disclosure agreements to stop anybody making statements? This would stop insider dealings and if a company pulls out during due dilligence no harm comes to any party. I'd assume once due dilligence is done this would change. Either way it seems something is happening and as a lot of people said the new TV deal would make us a very attractive purchase now we just need PL safety.

Aren't the whole point of non disclosure agreements to stop anybody making statements? This would stop insider dealings and if a company pulls out during due dilligence no harm comes to any party. I'd assume once due dilligence is done this would change. Either way it seems something is happening and as a lot of people said the new TV deal would make us a very attractive purchase now we just need PL safety.

Yes you are right about NDA - Its the idea the businesses are compelled by stock exchange rules to answer every rumour that I don't agree with.

I think if Randy starts meeting with people the names will leak out soon enough...

All this talk of takeover being ever closer is making me a little bit wet.

However, I think that's more to do with how much I dislike Lerner being in charge.  My big problem with all this is the "stumbling block" that is our premier league status, indicates clearly to me the reason for buying the club would not be purely footballing interests but rather venture capital.  Our status only guarentees one thing, more money coming in...and buying a premier league club with the driver as making money is not a good place to start.

You can argue that looking to make money is something done through investment in the team, and better on pitch performances which would tick many boxes.  I would, however, feel very uncomfortable with the new owners if the "deal breaker" was which division we're in next season...

However, I think that's more to do with how much I dislike Lerner being in charge.  My big problem with all this is the "stumbling block" that is our premier league status, indicates clearly to me the reason for buying the club would not be purely footballing interests but rather venture capital.  Our status only guarentees one thing, more money coming in...and buying a premier league club with the driver as making money is not a good place to start.

You can argue that looking to make money is something done through investment in the team, and better on pitch performances which would tick many boxes.  I would, however, feel very uncomfortable with the new owners if the "deal breaker" was which division we're in next season...

I thought the most quoted rumour indicated that the deal would go through what ever the division ?  - obviously the asking price will differ !

I thought the most quoted rumour indicated that the deal would go through what ever the division ?  - obviously the asking price will differ !

Ones I seen mostly focused on premier league status, and then some small caveat text on the end that even if we go down...might still be purchased.  The one thing they all mention, is linking the sale with our premier league status some how.  This latest one about the house selling is the only one I've seen where they say they would still be interested if we went down (with a little less uncertainty than other posts) but still they have to make some reference to our premier league status in every one of them.  Someone interested in the club for their status in the premier league can only be chasing the money that comes with it...

...I want us to be sold more than anyone, I just feel a little uneasy about the intent.  The last thing we want is a lerner out, new lerner in...

They all seem to be indicating to me that a sale will go through whatever division we're in and the only thing that will be affected is price.

Edited by useless

They all seem to be indicating to me that a sale will go through whatever division we're in and the only thing that will be affected is price. Hopefully that means they're confident that even we go down they've sufficient leverage to make good things happen for the club.

I really hope so, god...do I hope so.  I can't wait to see the back of Lerner.

Guess I'm just more worried than anything of getting A.N.Other Lerner, been a lot of talk in various articles and always have something to say about our current premier league status.

Still excited no matter who it is, things might change....just cautious.

They all seem to be indicating to me that a sale will go through whatever division we're in and the only thing that will be affected is price.

Yeah that seems to the main consistent theme throughout each piece.

Not sure how I feel about that, could it be the individuals in question are in for the wrong reasons? The gap between Championship and Premier League in terms of finances etc are huge to just dismiss it if we did go down which raises a few questions as to why they will go ahead even if we drop down a division. Maybe they have good intentions but it does raise a few questions.

I don't know what their motivations would be for buying us if we were a championship team. It could be, as some people have guessed, that they're Villa fans or it could just be that they'd be confident that we wouldn't be in the championship for long. I'm sure we'll hear all kinds of rumours and counter-rumors until something official is announced.

No one would pay £150m for something if it could lose half its value in a matter of weeks. Didn't that happen to Yeung at Blues? For me it's good business sense to find out what division you're in before buying a club. It does sound like a sale is likely to go ahead regardless of the division with only the price changing.

Its not just the transfers remember mcleish gate? No one wanted him.yet Lerner ignored all the fans and poached him from blose even though he relegated them

Complete disaster as we all knee from the beginning

He then hired Lambert - a manager many fans wanted. Same result - if not worse.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

There is a difference though. With McLeish we knew what we were getting...which was the main problem we knew we were getting a defensive manager who pretty much already failed at premier league level. Lambert at the time was a gamble. A young up and coming manager, who did a spectacular job at Norwich. Lerners only failing other than backing Lambert with cash was keeping him to long when it was clear to everyone the job was too big for him.

• Like 1

Branson does all his business from Necker Island so unless Lerner has been visiting there I doubt Dickie would be popping up at VP to discuss a deal. ie don't see it being him.

I was told when this all kicked off from someone I know at the club that a guy from Texas was buying us, but I presume he has pulled out or something.

Edited by stewiek2

Branson does all his business from Necker Island so unless Lerner has been visiting there I doubt Dickie would be popping up at VP to discuss a deal. ie don't see it being him.

That's odd, I'd have thought he would have a phone & email.
  • Like 2

It seems to me there are various types of potential owners for football clubs

1. There's the likes of Jack Hayward, or Jack Walker - lifelong fans with (at the time) an absolute ton of money. These are good.

2. People with no interest in the club with an absolute ton of money - these might be Abramovic, or Sheik Mansour, or similar. People so rich that they can absorb any mistakes. These are, I suppose, also "good".

3. People with money looking to make more money. The Man Utd bunch for example. I'm not sure they're good.

4. People like Randy Lerner - looking for a hobby, rather than to make money. Well intentioned but potentially could go either way. If they get lucky, then good, if they get unlucky, or make bad choices - ultimately not so good. Or That Newcastle man.

5. People without money, looking to gain fame, or personal notoriety or make money. Bad.

6. Investment groups looking to grow the club long term and sell on for more money (Spurs, maybe).

7. People looking to make short term gain. Very bad

8. Consortia, criminals, Ken Bates, Doug Ellis types, Peter Johnson, dodgy overseas hide behind a front types - almost always bad

9. Supporter buy outs and rescues - not practical at Prem level.

I think overall there's more chance of bad, than good. :(

• Like 2

I've got into my head it's either going to be one of Paul Allen, Qataris, Dalian Wanda Group, Usmanov or someone connected with the LA Dodgers.

Thats what i call hedging your bets.

• Like 1

Â