Chelsea fans prevent black man boarding the tube in Paris

The_Rev

The fact that they may of been drunk is completely irrelevant IMO

I think you're missing the point Rev is trying to make.

Using drink as an excuse is pathetic....they are adults, responsible for their own actions. So as 'adults' THEY, and THEY alone chose to drink excessively and be racist.....there really is no excuse for racism....if you are so immature that excessive drink makes you racist, then FFS, dont drink as much!

But it isn't excusing it, no one has tried to excuse it, the point Rev was trying to make was in response to someone saying "I don't understand how people can do this".

It's a horrible thing to do, and the people who did are absolute scumbags, but the fact is that being drunk and in a crowd probably contributed to an attitude of "everyone else is doing it, I won't get caught!" that some of them would've had.

Ok mate...point taken. Its just so vile to do that to anyone. I must admit that I lost it a bit as this type of behaviour sickens me!

Chelsea should set an example by banning them from Stamford Bridge.  They have represented Chelsea abroad in the worst possible light.  If this was being done outside the scope of a football away trip then I wouldn't expect Chelsea to have to do anything about it, but because (or rather if it can be proven that...) it was done as travelling football support then I think it should be acted upon.

Foolish idea/post to be honest. It's not that I don't agree that these Chelsea-fans are absolutely disgusting, but you cannot punish an entire crowd because of the behavior of a few (which cannot be identified pr. person). Do you punish all muslims because of the incidents in France and Denmark? No, that's kind of the whole point world leaders are trying to make these days. Most fans behave well, pay their expensive tickets and want to go to matches, it's not like you can punish them because of an incident at the train station.

shouldn't do anything, it's up to UEFA of course. Either ban Chelsea or ban their ability to have traveling support the next time around. We have seen much worser things going on, especially in Poland and the Ukraine before the Euro's. 

I see no foolishness in Bof's post. I fear you may have mis-read it. He was suggesting that Chelsea themselves, ban the individuals involved, should they be found.

The fact that they may of been drunk is completely irrelevant IMO

I think you're missing the point Rev is trying to make.

Using drink as an excuse is pathetic....they are adults, responsible for their own actions. So as 'adults' THEY, and THEY alone chose to drink excessively and be racist.....there really is no excuse for racism....if you are so immature that excessive drink makes you racist, then FFS, dont drink as much!

But it isn't excusing it, no one has tried to excuse it, the point Rev was trying to make was in response to someone saying "I don't understand how people can do this".

It's a horrible thing to do, and the people who did are absolute scumbags, but the fact is that being drunk and in a crowd probably contributed to an attitude of "everyone else is doing it, I won't get caught!" that some of them would've had.

Ok mate...point taken. Its just so vile to do that to anyone. I must admit that I lost it a bit as this type of behaviour sickens me!

I can see why it would annoy you, but closing yourself off to it is very similar behavior to what the other guys were doing.   It's nowhere near as bad, obviously, but just shutting down, sticking to some kind of dogma and refusing dialogue just demonises another section of society.  It's how we end up divided.  Humans are a tribal bunch and we crowd around certain things whether that is skin colour, nationality, religion or even what football team we support.  I think it's because we have an overwhelming urge to feel like we belong to something but that sense of belonging always seems to involve pushing away outsiders (which is quite literally what Chelsea fans did in this instance). We don't know whether they did it because the guy was black, because he was French or because he simply wasn't Chelsea.  It was probably a combination of the three and I maintain that most of the people in that group of Chelsea fans were behaving in a reprehensible manner because they were intoxicated and part of a group. 

Understanding someone's behaviour is not excusing it and I don't think I can be emphatic enough about that point. 

• Like 2

This isn't a Chelsea thing; it's is a European and UK football thing.

i think thats part of my problem with this, those idiots dont represent chelsea let alone represent english football, european fairy muff, but i think in england we do a lot of good and that kind of stuff wouldnt be tolerated if those fans were in london, i think that racial tolerance is better inside a football stadium than it is on the street in every day life, but incidences like this wont stop the likes of sol campbell and the head of the black lawyers for justice or whatever they are called from telling everyone that english football is rife with racism and needs an overhaul and trying to take football down the route of black only PFAs and positive discrimination or whatever that rooney rule isnt called which to me is somewhere we dont need to go

This isn't a Chelsea thing; it's is a European and UK football thing.

i think thats part of my problem with this, those idiots dont represent chelsea let alone represent english football, european fairy muff, but i think in england we do a lot of good and that kind of stuff wouldnt be tolerated if those fans were in london, i think that racial tolerance is better inside a football stadium than it is on the street in every day life, but incidences like this wont stop the likes of sol campbell and the head of the black lawyers for justice or whatever they are called from telling everyone that english football is rife with racism and needs an overhaul and trying to take football down the route of black only PFAs and positive discrimination or whatever that rooney rule isnt called which to me is somewhere we dont need to go

You're right in that its not a Chelsea thing but its not a geographical problem. Its sociological.

there a horrible bunch, By far the scumiest club in london. that horrible dull cockney tone they have chelsea, chelsea chelsea etc. the vile act on train really doesnt surprise me. i was on the train to villa park last season And had the pleasure of being stuck in the middle of A carriage with them, they seem to Have this " were proper hard men and we hate anyone whos not chelsea" about them. Scum

Chelsea have always had a nasty racist element - I remember witnessing it first hand 30 years ago at VP outside the Holte.

Classless scum is an apt description of the club especially as they celebrate a racist player like Terry so openly around the stadium.

• Like 1

You'd be hard pressed to find any football team's fanbase who didn't have a racist element even over the last few years, never mind 3 decades.

I've heard racist and  homophobic chants in the home sections at Villa Park.  I don't think Chelsea are much worse than the average English club, there are scumbags supporting all teams.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

This is like the Man. United fans when they're in europe and you hear reports of assaults....swanning around thinking they rule europe just because they support a succesful football team and Johnny Foreigner has to stand in line and take the abuse.

As much as we try to claim our fans get victimised abroad whenever said incidents occur, it's hard to defend when you see videos like this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-31530501

The man prevented from boarding a Paris Metro train by Chelsea football fans chanting racist slogans has called for them to be punished.The 33-year-old, named as Souleymane S, told France's Le Parisien: "These people, these English fans... should be locked up." A video shows him trying to get on a Metro carriage but being pushed off. A group of people can be heard singing: "We're racist, we're racist and that's the way we like it."

The footage was obtained by the Guardian, which reported that the incident happened at Richelieu-Drouot station in the centre of the French capital on Tuesday ahead of a Champions League match.

In the interview with Le Parisien, Souleymane S said he had not been particularly surprised by the abuse because he "lives with racism".

The father of three, a French-Mauritanian born in Paris, said he had not understood what the fans were saying but that he knew he was being targeted because of the colour of his skin.

Transport officers arrived but only wanted to make sure there was not a fight taking place.

He said he had no idea he was being filmed, and had not told anyone about the incident.

"What could I tell my children? That daddy was shoved around on the Metro because he is black?

"That would be pointless."

But he said that now the incident had emerged publicly he had the confidence to file a police complaint.

"These people, these English fans, need to be found and punished, and should be locked up," he added.

"What happened should not go unpunished."

The incident follows long-standing controversy over racism in football generally. Although the episode is believed to have involved British fans, the comments made by Souleymane S also come amid disquiet over increasing intolerance in France. Publishing a report on Tuesday, Nils Muiznieks, the Council of Europe Commissioner for Human Rights, said France needed to take "urgent" action to combat abuse. "Despite advances in legislation and measures to combat intolerance and racism, discrimination and hate speech not only persist in France but are on the rise," he said. London's Metropolitan Police has said it is taking the Paris Metro incident "very seriously". In a statement it said it would assist the French authorities to identify the people involved and support them in any action they chose to take.

Chelsea FC said it would help police, and any fans involved faced a ban. A spokesman for the club said the fans' actions had "no place in football or society". British expatriate Paul Nolan, who filmed the incident on his phone, told the BBC it was an "ugly scene" and "very aggressive". Speaking on Radio 4's Today programme he said he could hear mentions of World War Two as well as the racist chanting. One voice is heard on the video singing: "Chelsea, Chelsea, Chelsea."