Chelsea fans prevent black man boarding the tube in Paris

The_Rev

one of my Facebook friends thinks Chelsea should have to play their next Champions league game behind closed doors and all players of any ethnic background should walk off the pitch in protest this Saturday

Social media  ..got to love it 

The club seem to be dealing with it and whatever our views on Chelsea you can't taint a whole club on the actions of a few morons ... ban the fans involved and let that be an end to it

would have been nice to have seen a few of the people waiting on the platform do something to help the man but equally you can understand why they would be reluctant to get involved ...

What is the 10 German bombers song? I.e. why is it so controversial?

I don't think it's so much controversial, as moronic and inaccurate. Although I don't suppose "....and the RAF from United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, in conjunction with the FAA, with help from pilots from countries such as Poland, Canada, New Zealand, Czechoslovakia, France, Belgium, Ireland, Canada, USA, and other assorted Commonwealth Nations shot one down..." has the same ring.

there were 10 german bombers in the air, there were 10 german bombers in the air, there were 10 german bombers, 10 german bombers, 10 gemrna bombers in the air

and the RAF of england shot one down...

there were 9 german bombers in the air...

still think its sang in the pubs etc before england games but its pretty much been outlawed in wembley, like i said it wasnt 10 idiots chanting it like those chelsea fans, it was an entire train platform full of villa fans in hamburg and then it carried on in to the train, sure it was chanted in the holte when england played there too, they'll do well to get rid of that chant

To the tune of '10 green bottles'.  Very embarrassing and small time.  My German friend finds it hilarious and often sings it to me to.

I am more than happy to pain the whole club by the actions of a few small fans.  There's something inherently wrong with Chelsea and the quicker the fans condemn it, apologise for it and take action the better.

:P

• Like 4

The fact that they may of been drunk is completely irrelevant IMO

I think you're missing the point Rev is trying to make.

Using drink as an excuse is pathetic....they are adults, responsible for their own actions. So as 'adults' THEY, and THEY alone chose to drink excessively and be racist.....there really is no excuse for racism....if you are so immature that excessive drink makes you racist, then FFS, dont drink as much!

...whatever our views on Chelsea you can't taint a whole club on the actions of a few morons ...

Chelsea aren't judged on the actions of a few morons (John terry, Dennis Wise, Jody Morris...) it's also the fans as well, as captured in the video.

there were 10 german bombers in the air, there were 10 german bombers in the air, there were 10 german bombers, 10 german bombers, 10 gemrna bombers in the air

still think its sang in the pubs etc before england games but its pretty much been outlawed in wembley, like i said it wasnt 10 idiots chanting it like those chelsea fans, it was an entire train platform full of villa fans in hamburg and then it carried on in to the train, sure it was chanted in the holte when england played there too, they'll do well to get rid of that chant

Anyone singing that is a massively sad prick.

• Like 1

Using drink as an excuse is pathetic....they are adults, responsible for their own actions. So as 'adults' THEY, and THEY alone chose to drink excessively and be racist.....there really is no excuse for racism....if you are so immature that excessive drink makes you racist, then FFS, dont drink as much!

But it isn't excusing it, no one has tried to excuse it, the point Rev was trying to make was in response to someone saying "I don't understand how people can do this".

It's a horrible thing to do, and the people who did are absolute scumbags, but the fact is that being drunk and in a crowd probably contributed to an attitude of "everyone else is doing it, I won't get caught!" that some of them would've had.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

you could say that about the majority of football chants...

you could say that about the majority of football chants...

Its one of the main reasons I avoid the "chants" thread. :P

Seriously though, chanting is fine, singing is great. Holte Enders in the Sky is brilliant. Shit on the City etc. all fine.

I just find singing a song about brave men dying is poor in the extreme and adds nothing to the atmosphere of a game beyond being as offensive as possible in a crowd. 

Its one of the main reasons I avoid the "chants" thread. :P

Seriously though, chanting is fine, singing is great. Holte Enders in the Sky is brilliant. Shit on the City etc. all fine.

I just find singing a song about brave men dying is poor in the extreme and adds nothing to the atmosphere of a game beyond being as offensive as possible in a crowd.

The full version of HEITS and even Sotc are not the most charming of ditties are they - much like most terrace chants.

Chelsea should set an example by banning them from Stamford Bridge.  They have represented Chelsea abroad in the worst possible light.  If this was being done outside the scope of a football away trip then I wouldn't expect Chelsea to have to do anything about it, but because (or rather if it can be proven that...) it was done as travelling football support then I think it should be acted upon.

Foolish idea/post to be honest. It's not that I don't agree that these Chelsea-fans are absolutely disgusting, but you cannot punish an entire crowd because of the behavior of a few (which cannot be identified pr. person). Do you punish all muslims because of the incidents in France and Denmark? No, that's kind of the whole point world leaders are trying to make these days. Most fans behave well, pay their expensive tickets and want to go to matches, it's not like you can punish them because of an incident at the train station.

Traveling, drunk, British football fans aren't exactly the most well-educated people in general - so this sort of thing will always happen. Not the racism part necessarily, which is unspeakable, but generally behaving like words removed, thrashing stuff and beating up innocent people.

Chelsea shouldn't do anything, it's up to UEFA of course. Either ban Chelsea or ban their ability to have traveling support the next time around. We have seen much worser things going on, especially in Poland and the Ukraine before the Euro's. 

Its not only the fans.Remember when the Chelski players said that Mark Clattenberg called them monkeys ?!

I do. I also remember that it didn't happen. 

I have called people monkeys before, probably a few black guys as well when I was playing football myself. Didn't mean it in a racist way, Clattenburg didn't either I would expect. Behaving like a monkey is pretty self-explanatory. Now..... making monkey chants and throwing bananas at black players however, cannot be misinterpreted. Happens in Spain, Italy and Russia doesn't it? 

Two big points:

1. Let's hear it for the dignity and quiet courage of the man who keeps trying to get onto the train. I admire him enormously. That's the kind of man the future belongs to. The men on the train belong to the past.
  2. This isn't a Chelsea thing; it's is a European and UK football thing.
  • Like 1

the not letting the bloke on is bad enough but that chant, **** me, absolutely no shame

what would peoples opinion on this be if it was a video of chelsea fans singing anti-french songs? i ask because the video did remind me of a time when i quite happily took part in a verse of 10 german bombers, along with a few hundred other villa fans, on a train in hamburg

They were.  The video opens with them singing "where were you in WW2?"  (answer obviously being, not born yet, the same as the guys singing the song) and I think pushing the guy off the train was probably more to do with the passport he holds than the colour of his skin.  

NOT. EXCUSING. IT.   

dFWDfXdl.jpg

• Like 1

Its not only the fans.Remember when the Chelski players said that Mark Clattenberg called them monkeys ?!

I do. I also remember that it didn't happen. 

I have called people monkeys before, probably a few black guys as well when I was playing football myself. Didn't mean it in a racist way, Clattenburg didn't either I would expect. Behaving like a monkey is pretty self-explanatory. Now..... making monkey chants and throwing bananas at black players however, cannot be misinterpreted. Happens in Spain, Italy and Russia doesn't it? 

It's all about context. In the USA, it's become quite acceptable for black men to use the "N" word to describe male peer in an affectionate way. If I were to use the term where I work to describe a black colleague, I would be fired -- and deservedly so -- faster than I can finish typing the word I-D-I-O-T.

Edited by Shifted To Neutral
  • Like 1