The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

I really do fear that the board will stick with him for another few weeks.

Considering our next two fixtures it probably doesn't matter much who is in change but if it is still Sherwood he will need a miracle to keep his job after playing Spurs and Man City.

I had a look on twitter and Lerner is getting stick with lots of people saying a change of manager won't matter which is such bollox. Fair enough if Sherwood was working on a similar budget to Lambert but he's not and has been backed so takes all the blame despite trying his best to push it onto anyone but himself. Lambert signed the players required to keep us up at the very least while Sherwood goes and signs Lescott and Gestede...

I don't think it's completely rubbish to have that opinion. We've been utter garbage under four different managers now.

What can Lerner do? He was vilified for handing O'Neill too much money - he's certainly addressed that. He's been vilified for handing managers too much control of the squad. He's addressed that. He's been vilified for not having any football people around him to help him make decisions - he's addressed that. He's been vilified for his choice of managers - he's brought in people qualified to make those decisions on his behalf. He's desperate to get rid of the club and get something back to cover a fraction of the millions he's wasted. He currently doesn't seem to have any influence not he running of the club other than how much money to put into it.

Does all the hyperbole about Villa being rotten to the core just come down to 'Randy needs to throw more money at it'? He's seems to eventually do everything that people on here demand of him (other than leave).

I never vilified him for giving O'Neill money at all... I thought it was great... We were competitive, at the right end of the table, beating Ajax in Europe, scoring goals and playing some nice football...

It was when Man City won their lottery and suddenly Lerner bottled it and wouldn't spend anymore that I vilified him... Thats what drove O'Neill (and the good times) away...

Lerner had the money, he was just being a tight arse... I hope he never gets anywhere close to the money that he spent back when he sells us...

The idea was he was a billionaire no?? So bloody act like it when you have a quality manager in charge! The days of Milner, Young and Carew seem a long, long time ago... If only O'Neill was allowed to spend the Milner money

How could Lerner compete with the sort of money that was suddenly required? He did not have it.

A tight arse that spent many millions - come on.

Oneill blew it; he reached his ceiling and was never going to take us higher.

• Like 4

I heard an interesting summing up of the villa situation from The great Peter McParland during my visit to Sky Lounge yesterday.

As usual, I could not keep my thoughts to myself and during my conversations on my thoughts of Villa's plight, Peter started his rendition to the fans....so I duly listened

The guests on our table and adjoining tables who over heard me aided by a few San Miguels said ....."my god its almost word for word what you have been saying"

I won't go in to chapter and verse, but suffice to say he was looking at the players as opposed to the manager, but recognised it was a collective effort that has put us here.

It was also interesting to hear the thoughts of some of supporting staff, bar tenders, ushers, guides and the like .....the mood is very dark.

It is clear to me, that it is going to take one almighty effort and unprecedented hard work to turn this "ghost ship" around.

I was also alarmed at the players responses to continuing the game ,after they Scored......My god Sherwood had to scream at them to regain focus and continue the task.....suffice to say shortly after we conceded.....it was sheer schoolboy stuff.

After we scored, I would have expected them to line up and metaphorically in their heads do the "HAKA".....They seemed like job done, game over.

This club right now is in a sorry state ( not the fixtures and fittings....the soul has been lost)and the the team is reflective of that, more than the manager.

I was joking during the game and said I would sack the players and keep the manager....if it was only that easy.

Oh well, I will be surprised, If the majority of fans don't get their way now.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

Is he still here? What I find really insulting to the poor fans, is he is making jokes about "turning his phone off" while we have suffered yet ANOTHER DEFEAT from a losing position. He should be taking this bloody job more seriously

Cant stand the bloke talks a good game but is  a fraud cant back it up. Bye Tim

We dominated the play yesterday and were unlucky to lose. Sherwood was not the reason we lost.

Are we establishing that months of training, tactics, team set up etc.. Has little to no effect on the results?

Gabby should've done better when out clear with ayew square, bacuna flashed a ball across the 6 yard box which should've been put in, lescott missed a sitter, Guzan made a glaring error for the first.. All of which are not Sherwoods fault.

It's a results business and the results under Sherwood have not been good enough, I'm not defending that, but it doesn't mean the fault lies completely with Sherwood.

Interesting that TRO, there is a definate failure of collective responsibility amongst the players.For the 2nd goal where was Ganan going to leave the man over, why did Lescott come so far over, why did Richards leave the ball, why were Hutton and Bacuna not in better positions?

Lack of collective responsibility?....yes, but also a distint lack of awareness and organization, and that comes from the management.Westwood chasing the ball against Stoke, Milner allowed too much time on the edge of the area for all 3 lpolp goals, and the Leicester, Sherwoods lack of attention to detail, and lack of organizing the team is the reason why we are where we are.

I like Sherwoods enthusiasm, but his lack of experience and his naievety was too much of a gamble for a club like Villa

• Like 2

I heard an interesting summing up of the villa situation from The great Peter McParland during my visit to Sky Lounge yesterday.

As usual, I could not keep my thoughts to myself and during my conversations on my thoughts of Villa's plight, Peter started his rendition to the fans....so I duly listened

The guests on our table and adjoining tables who over heard me aided by a few San Miguels said ....."my god its almost word for word what you have been saying"

I won't go in to chapter and verse, but suffice to say he was looking at the players as opposed to the manager, but recognised it was a collective effort that has put us here.

It was also interesting to hear the thoughts of some of supporting staff, bar tenders, ushers, guides and the like .....the mood is very dark.

It is clear to me, that it is going to take one almighty effort and unprecedented hard work to turn this "ghost ship" around.

I was also alarmed at the players responses to continuing the game ,after they Scored......My god Sherwood had to scream at them to regain focus and continue the task.....suffice to say shortly after we conceded.....it was sheer schoolboy stuff.

After we scored, I would have expected them to line up and metaphorically in their heads do the "HAKA".....They seemed like job done, game over.

This club right now is in a sorry state ( not the fixtures and fittings....the soul has been lost)and the the team is reflective of that, more than the manager.

I was joking during the game and said I would sack the players and keep the manager....if it was only that easy.

Oh well, I will be surprised, If the majority of fans don't get their way now.

I don't think anyone is suggesting the players aren't culpable in this sorry mess but Sherwood is the manager and the clue lies in his title and ultimately the buck stops with him. We cannot change the players right now and we cannot completely re-engineer the squad in January either, money or no money. Sherwood's job is to get the best out of the players he has. My opinion and I think that of many fans is that he isn't and the reality is the job is beyond him. I don't dislike him as a person, in fact more the opposite but the truth is we have a very inexperienced manager looking after the team who is simply out of his depth. We don't have the luxury of allowing him time to lean his trade even assuming that he can.

I think we actually have a decent squad of players who are capable of keeping in this league but their confidence is shot to pieces such that, as yesterday proved again, they don't even do the basics properly. That should be addressed on the training ground and game after game we see not change. I heard from a source within the club that there is a major rift in the squad between two groups of players. I very much doubt that Sherwood's fault but it is his responsibility to sort it out but the team selection yesterday smacked to me of him dodging that problem. You also have to ask the question as to whether the players actually believe in Sherwood: the training, the team selection, the tactics before and during the game and the formation. I don't think they do and if they don't believe in him given where we are I very much doubt we will get out of this mess. At the final whistle they just looked shell shocked which is not a good sign. I don't know whether the inevitable boos were for the team or Sherwood. I hope the latter as booing the players is of no help at all.

Forgive me for going slightly OT here, but it is clear that in part our undoing is a tactical one - either players not doing the job allocated to them properly, or not being told what job they are being allocated in the first place. 

So with Sherwood in the ejector seat, what kind of manager do we want?

We need a manager who can quickly organise players, assign roles and shape them up. The fact we haven't lost any game by a big margin shows at the very least we are competitive, we are not being bombed out of the league just yet.

The big problem is that if you are David Moyes or Brendan Rodgers, there is no long termism at Aston Villa, you are unlikely to leave a legacy with the club up for sale.

If we are going down, I want to go down kicking and screaming and it is pretty clear that Sherwood's ship has long run aground. He is blaming a lack of quality one day, then saying he wouldn't sell Grealish for £60m the next. He has no idea and is so massively out of his depth I actually feel sorry for him. He just shouldn't be in this position.

Not winning yesterday was gutting.

We needed those points.

Swansea were so **** bad.

Couldn't see anything when Lambert left to be fair. We managed to get a bounce.

Dyche? Rowett?

Moyes will say no to us as we're dropping like a stone and him going down with us is not the way he'd want to come back to England.

• Like 1

We dominated the play yesterday and were unlucky to lose. Sherwood was not the reason we lost.

Are we establishing that months of training, tactics, team set up etc.. Has little to no effect on the results?

Gabby should've done better when out clear with ayew square, bacuna flashed a ball across the 6 yard box which should've been put in, lescott missed a sitter, Guzan made a glaring error for the first.. All of which are not Sherwoods fault.

It's a results business and the results under Sherwood have not been good enough, I'm not defending that, but it doesn't mean the fault lies completely with Sherwood.

Fernandez should have scored after about 10 minutes. A. Ayew missed a sitter (good save from guzan but should have been finished), Gomis missed a decent chance. For their first Guzan was not at fault, it was a very good free.

Sherwood himself has said that he noticed us tiring and not being able to track back but didn't make any changes to sort it. I'd count that his fault and it's another glaring example of his inability to close out games and make the right decisions.

Moyes will say no to us as we're dropping like a stone and him going down with us is not the way he'd want to come back to England.

I disagree. I think we're perfect for Moyes to come back to England for. The bookies, the press, a lot of the fans and probably a lot of the general public would pretty much write us off as relegated already. 

As long as Moyes believes there's enough quality in the squad to stay up, we may well be a club that appeals to his ego since he would be the saviour of Aston Villa this season when he keeps us up - what better way to rebuild your reputation?! I'm certain that if he does come in, he'll frame it as massive ask in the press to keep us up, which will further add weight the job he's done when he does keep us up, or if we do go down, then it's pretty much what most across the industry expected anyway.

He can effectively manage us with no fear of failure. I can't think of a better job he could walk into to reaffirm his management credentials.

• Like 2

Â