The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Bob Bradley has gone as low as 4/1 when I just checked odds checker from 10/1 to be next villa gaffer. 

Thought that was curious. Never heard of him. 

For USA coach. Father of Michael Bradley.....

Pretty sure he is coaching in Norway.

I see thanks.  Moyes is in charge of sociodad but his a favourite so who knows? 

Pearson played good attacking football and got serious effort and fight out of his players, not saying I'd want him or that but he would be an upgrade on Sherwood by a long way.

I agree. Not a fraud like Sherwood and has experience. His act like a idiot too but his not as bad as Sherwood IMO. Would prefer someone else ideally however. 

Obviously Ranieri is a respected manager and should take credit for Leicester's form so far. But that form also suggests that Leicester had a squad good enough to stay up in spite of Pearson rather than because of him. He is also the one person in football that is further up his own backside than Tim. 

Swapping one arrogant prat constantly embarrassing the club for an exact replica is not exactly progression IMO. 

I have a feeling they sacked him at the meeting and now we're just playing out the process.

Process? Can you clarify more? 

I'm probably mis-remembering, but I seem to recall there being a meeting with Lambert (or without Lambert) and after the meeting the speculation grew and then he was removed. Sacking a manager is a multi million pound endeavour nowadays - being Alan Sugar and shouting "You're fired" costs you millions - there's a process of negotiation, will you go for this much, will you go for that much, if I pay your staff fully will you take less, will you agree to a non-disclosure, all of that sort of thing needs to be played out by the lawyers and the agents and everyone else involved. I do wonder if that process has begun.

• Like 1

I have a feeling they sacked him at the meeting and now we're just playing out the process.

Process? Can you clarify more? 

I'm probably mis-remembering, but I seem to recall there being a meeting with Lambert (or without Lambert) and after the meeting the speculation grew and then he was removed. Sacking a manager is a multi million pound endeavour nowadays - being Alan Sugar and shouting "You're fired" costs you millions - there's a process of negotiation, will you go for this much, will you go for that much, if I pay your staff fully will you take less, will you agree to a non-disclosure, all of that sort of thing needs to be played out by the lawyers and the agents and everyone else involved. I do wonder if that process has begun.

I don't think that necessarily needs to be bottomed out before the trigger is pulled... Otherwise you'd have a bunch of disgruntled managers with no authority overseeing their final games. It'd be madness to keep on someone you were sacking on performance grounds in post. Especially someone as petulant as Tim. 

• Like 2

Aside from Sherwoods rambling one of the things I find disturbing about that Daily Mail piece is that they state a press officer denied Sherwood the opportunity to answer questions surrounding our summer recruitment policy. Why would the press guy step in and not allow that? It suggests to me that there is conflict with in that area and that Sherwood perhaps wasn’t allowed to bring in the players he wanted. If there is nothing to hide then why stop questions being asked. This whole saga is turning into a farce quite frankly. It also concerns me that if there is a committee that decides on which players to buy then you will get a lot of managers not willing to work in such circumstances. You can guarantee Allardyce wouldn’t have come in and I would have my doubts that Moyes would work under such a structure. These guys usually want total control and rightly so in my book as it is their necks on the block when things go wrong.

So why did he take the job if he knew about all this? Give over mate, the guy is taking us for a ride while dragging the club through the mud whilst he protects his own image. 

Give over? I am not defending him. You can’t defend the indefensible and the diabolical start we have had is indefensible. I agree if he knew what he was signing up to then he should never have taken the job if he wasn't happy with the structure he would be working under.

My concern isn't really with Sherwood though. My concern is with who comes in and replaces him and I am certain that there are managers that will not work under a structure where they don’t have control of which players you bring in. Managers like Allardyce want total control of the footballing side. I also imagine that Moyes would want to work that way. For me as I said previously if you don’t trust a manger to decide on which players to bring in then you shouldn't employ him.

The same debate was had at Albion - no decent manager would work under the structure they had. Yet they lured the bloke who won manager of the year from the previous season. I don't think a strong manager will have issues with structure - He will be strong enough to get his own way  (most of the time) 

I don't think whats happening at villa is anything other than a network of scouts suggesting players to Sherwood......

So in actual fact Fox has done a good job in implementing such a system?

At least that is my interpretation. As for "burying his head in the sand" you have no solid evidence for that whatsoever. Only that he hasn't done exactly what you personally want him to do, which seems to consist solely of hiring Pulis or Allardyce.

I feel that he acted as quickly as he was allowed to do so in removing Lambert. He acted quickly in hiring the man who kept us in the league last season. Quickly and efficiently built the backroom, quickly and efficiently signed the players we needed in the summer and the axe is about to fall on the man he himself bought in only 8 months ago.

You can look at some of those decisions as mistakes if you like, I certainly don't think Sam Allardyce is/was the only manager available to us capable of keeping us in the league, as neither was Tony Pulis. But mistakes, maybe. Burying his head in the sand though? Absolutely no chance. I don't buy that for a second.

Anyway, back to Sherwood. I hope this is the end of the road, but I accept that it's not as simple a process as we might like. I'm pragmatic even if the manager isn't (his words!).

Yes - If hiring guys to scout players was Tom Fox's idea then yes. (personally I seem to recall us having scouting staff ever since I started watching villa some 40 odd years ago)

I think he's missed a trick with Allardyce, Yes

We he (Tom Fox)  do the right thing in a timely manner ?  I've got serious doubts, lets wait and see...

There's a marked difference between having a scouting team and having what we have, sporting director etc.

Having doubts is cool. Even serious ones. But I think you've been overly harsh by writing him off.

Â