The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

In case he's reading this thread in search of ideas (I wouldnt put it past him at this point).

The only time we've played half decent this year is the first 60 odd minutes against Leicester. So I'd go with that as a starting point. Main difference would be to tell my two in the middle to sit and protect the bag four not be all over the pitch as Westwood was that day leaving Sanchez to get regularly roasted by whoever happened to be streaming through the middle.

It seems that is the only formation that can get Jack and Gil on the same pitch along with some pace (Adama, Ayew, Sinclair etc Gabby at a real push)

Disagree - I don't want a defensive 6.  One defensive midfielder is (or should be!) enough.  You don't need 2 players in that role.

Fair enough its all opinions but I think if you are going to have four players who are not going to add a lot to the team in terms of pressing and winning it back then you do need to have that midfield protection for your defense.

Quite a large portion of the Prem play that way most of the time which is obviously no argument that it is the best way but given our personnel I think it is necessary.

It's ridiculous.  The training field is the time to sort out your formations - not match day.  He's had pre-season with most of the squad, 8 weeks of matches and an international break.  Even if everyone hasn't been fully fit we should be playing to a plan and seeing the new players adjust to their roles.  As it is no-one has any idea what's coming next in the starting line-up - it's no wonder the players keep making mistakes as they're trying something new with different players around them.  It's never going to work.

• Like 1

Anyway here's the actual article for anybody that might be interested and hasn't seen it yet.'Tim Sherwood insists he can turn claret and blue fortunes around - as he searches for the "right ingredients" to get Villa winning again

That is a lot different to`stumbles'. You're a very naughty boy, Useless.:D

Have you read the actual article?

"Now I have to find the right ingredients to put them on the pitch at the right time against the opposition we play and try and get a spark. I am still searching for that.

"At the moment it isn't there.

"I keep changing the systems and changing the formations in search of that. On Saturday against Stoke it wasn't there. We need to find it.

"I will be searching for the right formation and the right players to play in it.

"At the moment I think it's only right that I keep changing it because we're not finding the wins."

I don't think that's so very different from 'stumbles'. I didn't write it to make Sherwood look bad or anything, no offence but I hardly need to at the moment.

Laughable comments from a man clearly out of his depth

Like someone has pointed out you experiment during preseason not when you need to pick up points

His constant chopping and changing of personnel and systems is the problem and it's why we look a complete and utter shambles

By playing a system over and over again that is how you become a solid unit no wonder were defending like clowns at the minute the players don't know if they are coming or going

Piss poor management tbh

Edited by AshVilla

We all know why he was hired, he was hired because there were few good options, and he was keen. Plus he can talk a world class load of ****.  We were desperate, so welcome, Tim. 

I had no problem with that, especially as it worked out, but my problem was the seeming lack of a legitimate managerial candidate interview process after the season ended.

I'm pretty sure Sherwood was just given the keys to Villa Park in the summer, almost as a reward.

A more shrewd CEO or whatever title Fox has, would have at least sat down with a few other managers before going all in on Sherwood.

Blimey, Fox is copping it now......He was fantastic a few months ago, as was Sherwood.

I would like to know who & where all these messiah's are.

Its the blame culture at its best......I'M Sorry guys.....We are haemarroging goals in every match resulting in unacceptable results.

What the answer is, I don't know.....but it seems to me for what we are criticising sherwood for changing the team until he gets it right( and i do share your concerns)..... we are promoting the same process with managers.....just keep sacking them until we get a winning one.

Stop changing the formations you fool and let the players get used to a system and play your best players, it genuinely looks like he is taking the complete piss and trying to sabotage us but in truth hes just a fool. The crap that's come out of his mouth this last month is just so pathetic and the words of an idiot. Please get rid of this tool and give somebody with some sense a go with these players because we have a good squad imo.

• Like 3

We all know why he was hired, he was hired because there were few good options, and he was keen. Plus he can talk a world class load of ****.  We were desperate, so welcome, Tim. 

I had no problem with that, especially as it worked out, but my problem was the seeming lack of a legitimate managerial candidate interview process after the season ended.

I'm pretty sure Sherwood was just given the keys to Villa Park in the summer, almost as a reward.

A more shrewd CEO or whatever title Fox has, would have at least sat down with a few other managers before going all in on Sherwood.

Blimey, Fox is copping it now......He was fantastic a few months ago, as was Sherwood.

I would like to know who & where all these messiah's are.

Its the blame culture at its best......I'M Sorry guys.....We are haemarroging goals in every match resulting in unacceptable results.

What the answer is, I don't know.....but it seems to me for what we are criticising sherwood for changing the team until he gets it right( and i do share your concerns)..... we are promoting the same process with managers.....just keep sacking them until we get a winning one.

Yet the things aren't anything alike.

Your excuses are getting thinner and thinner with every post.

• Like 1

We all know why he was hired, he was hired because there were few good options

Exactly and i wonder what clown were going to be left with this time round

While we fail to act on this like last time other teams will be replacing their failing managers and we will be scraping the bottom of the barrel yet again 

Edited by AshVilla

Those quotes - can't get them out of my head :(

I was all for giving him a chance (new team, new manager; it was always going to take a while to click) but they're so, so bad.  He can't be that clueless, right?  I mean, he knows roughly what he wants to play, surely?

:(

If he lost with a team and didn't change it.....He would be criticised for not changing it.

If he changes it, he is then criticised for chopping and changing the team.

If he comes out with an honest comment and it is unpalatable he is an idiot,If he comes out with lies, he is a Charlatan, If he chooses to say nothing he is losing the plot and doesn't know what to do.

Fact is we are losing every game.....so every criticism fits.....its easy......no one can be wrong right now, because we are losing....every criticism is hard to defend.

Lambert admitted in the end....He had lost it( the plot).....Losing does that to you, its doing it to us the fans.

Losing sucks the life out of us all , Players,Managers, fans, Owners.

• Like 1

BOF - "Plus if you're chopping and changing by your own admission, you're not giving these players the chance to get used to their role in the side.  A system that loses on day 1 might start to win on day 7 when the players are familiar with it, but it won't if you don't give it a chance - and he has admitted there that he won't be giving initially-losing systems a chance to develop.  Being new players to a new league and country is hard enough on its own, but it is made infinitely more difficult when Tim is playing Championship Manager with his line-ups and personnel.  Just as an example, I wonder if Veretout and Ayew are beginning to question what on earth they've let themselves in for."

Yes I think that's going to increasingly be a problem. We have put a decent enough group together IMO, but if they start to perceive that they are not being coached and used properly and we keep losing then we will almost certainly have a load of want away players very soon. That's a very bad scene if we need a tight group to get together and fight their way out of the relegation spots.

Edited by romavillan

"I keep changing the systems and changing the formations in search of that. On Saturday against Stoke it wasn't there. We need to find it.

"I will be searching for the right formation and the right players to play in it.

"At the moment I think it's only right that I keep changing it because we're not finding the wins."

That's quite an astonishing admission and insight into his approach towards fixing our malaise.  He's basically admitting that he's currently attempting to luck into a winning formation by trying them all out.  It's the complete opposite to having a philosophy and trying to fit the pieces of the jigsaw into that philosophy.  It's this kind of thing far more than the results and the performances that make me worry.  He's sounding more and more like the blagger that we feared and hoped that he wouldn't be.

Pretty much what Lambert was doing and it never worked for him either.

Nah. He at least knew what he wanted to do (to an extent) and didn't tinker this much.

Anyway Lambert is long gone, stop with the absolutely pathetic digs.

• Like 3

I also think it's very easy to say that Allardyce could come in, or whoever else, and turn things around and make things OK for now, but there is absolutely no guarantee of that. Are we forgetting his stint at Newcastle? I think that is a far more familiar situation to us right now than his work at over achieving clubs he got promoted.

Allardyce was on target to keep Newcastle up that year. They were outside the drop zone when they sacked him IIRC, and Shearer then oversaw a deterioration which saw them relegated...

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tim-sherwood-not-know-best-10197909?

Tim still doesn't know his best formation here's your chance to tell him!

Someone help him out ffs preferably include Gil somewhere in the lineup

considering we are lightweight as a team, i will be contradictory and say .....This lad must play, he must find a berth for him and play 6 defensive players to cover his presence.

What sums this plonker up the most was Hutton playing RWB on Saturday.

Hutton - RB
Bacuna - RM/RWB.

All season:

Bacuna RB
Hutton on bench.

3-5-2.

Hutton RWB
Bacuna Bench.

Idiot.

FWIW, I thought Hutton was OK.  He's actually pretty good getting forward.

Â