The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

He doesn't deserve it but I think two or three more games may be acceptable to prove his worth - he knows he is walking towards the gallows. A sea change in approach is needed, he may well lose but there needs to be signs and if he can get any result against struggling Chelsea and again middling Swansea, he could be given a stay of execution? Results could either make it very easy or very hard to sack him after these two games.

• Like 1

If we lose to Chelsea and find ourselves 7 points adrift then surely they'll have no choice but replace him, at that point. I'm hoping that Fox is working on something in the background before he pulls the trigger (sacks Sherwood). Like what seemingly happened when we replaced Lambert.

If they don't sack him before the Chelsea game, then they won't sack him before the Swansea game. No one will expect us to get anything from the Chelsea game.

Anyway here's the actual article for anybody that might be interested and hasn't seen it yet.'Tim Sherwood insists he can turn claret and blue fortunes around - as he searches for the "right ingredients" to get Villa winning again

That is a lot different to`stumbles'. You're a very naughty boy, Useless.:D

Have you read the actual article?

"Now I have to find the right ingredients to put them on the pitch at the right time against the opposition we play and try and get a spark. I am still searching for that.

"At the moment it isn't there.

"I keep changing the systems and changing the formations in search of that. On Saturday against Stoke it wasn't there. We need to find it.

"I will be searching for the right formation and the right players to play in it.

"At the moment I think it's only right that I keep changing it because we're not finding the wins."

I don't think that's so very different from 'stumbles'. I didn't write it to make Sherwood look bad or anything, no offence but I hardly need to at the moment.

• Like 1

I think his problem now is that regardless of the performances in the next 2 games and regardless of any progress we might make, it will be the forthcoming results that determine his fate and how the league table looks afterwards, and rightly so.  The odds are that we lose those games.  So it's likely that the gap to safety will be larger.  He had his list of forgiving fixtures and we couldn't do much with them.  So it's unfortunate but inevitable that the fixture list will eventually take a turn for the worse.  Our next 5 fixtures are fairly awful.  Swansea at home looks like our only hope of avoiding defeat and even that's looking unlikely.

• Like 1

Anyway here's the actual article for anybody that might be interested and hasn't seen it yet.'Tim Sherwood insists he can turn claret and blue fortunes around - as he searches for the "right ingredients" to get Villa winning again

That is a lot different to`stumbles'. You're a very naughty boy, Useless.[emoji3]

"Now I have to find the right ingredients to put them on the pitch at the right time against the opposition we play and try and get a spark. I am still searching for that.

"I keep changing the systems and changing the formations in search of that. On Saturday against Stoke it wasn't there. We need to find it.

"I will be searching for the right formation and the right players to play in it.

"At the moment I think it's only right that I keep changing it because we're not finding the wins."

I don't think that's so very different from 'stumbles'. I didn't write it to make Sherwood look bad or anything, no offence but I hardly need to at the moment.

It's a very worrying thing to hear. Just like the last guy, he doesn't have a philosophy. I appreciate that he is willing to adjust when things don't go right, but to do so this regularly is weak in my opinion, it's bad for moral, confusing to the players and shows signs of us being rudderless.

It's very different to "stumbles" though! [emoji6]

If we lose to Chelsea and find ourselves 7 points adrift then surely they'll have no choice but replace him, at that point. I'm hoping that Fox is working on something in the background before he pulls the trigger (sacks Sherwood). Like what seemingly happened when we replaced Lambert.

If they don't sack him before the Chelsea game, then they won't sack him before the Swansea game. No one will expect us to get anything from the Chelsea game.

There's more to factor in, than whether or not we're expected to beat Chelsea. It'll be another defeat regardless of the opposition and we'll be in deeper trouble, especially if teams around us get wins. If we get thrashed that might have an affect on matters too.

Edited by useless

That is a lot different to`stumbles'. You're a very naughty boy, Useless.[emoji3]

It's a very worrying thing to hear. Just like the last guy, he doesn't have a philosophy. I appreciate that he is willing to adjust when things don't go right, but to do so this regularly is weak in my opinion, it's bad for moral, confusing to the players and shows signs of us being rudderless.

It's very different to "stumbles" though! [emoji6]

To be honest I did ask myself after I posted if he really did say 'stumble upon' so opened the page again and did a ctrl+f for the word stumbles and it wasn't actually there, lol. But still, what he did have to say didn't exactly fill me with confidence.

To be honest I do.

Which is more the reason to make the change now.

but there is a fair bit of that on here.

• Like 1

That's quite an astonishing admission and insight into his approach towards fixing our malaise.  He's basically admitting that he's currently attempting to luck into a winning formation by trying them all out.  It's the complete opposite to having a philosophy and trying to fit the pieces of the jigsaw into that philosophy.  It's this kind of thing far more than the results and the performances that make me worry.  He's sounding more and more like the blagger that we feared and hoped that he wouldn't be.

That's fair comment and I share your concern.

Edited by TRO

That's quite an astonishing admission and insight into his approach towards fixing our malaise.  He's basically admitting that he's currently attempting to luck into a winning formation by trying them all out.  It's the complete opposite to having a philosophy and trying to fit the pieces of the jigsaw into that philosophy.  It's this kind of thing far more than the results and the performances that make me worry.  He's sounding more and more like the blagger that we feared and hoped that he wouldn't be.

Exactly there is no vision here , no direction.It's merely I will try everything until something works , except its not working.Even when he had it working at Leicester he somehow conspired to 

change the team and turn a 2-0 lead into a 3-2 loss.I think that game has knocked the stuffing out of him no matter what he says , since then he has started games less and less attacking up to this week going with a 5 man defence !

The warning signs started against Southampton , Arsenal was another warning but hey its not his players he told us ..problem is they are your players now Tim and its not improving in fact we are looking more and more directionless with each game.

I understand your frustration....and if it helps i share it......but I have to say 10/10 for his honesty......I know it does'nt bode well for us as fans, but I equally know that many managers would not be honest/open & brave enough to admit to that.

As damning an indictment as it is, I'd be inclined to agree with you if it were not for the fact that it is one of numerous excuses he has churned out in recent weeks - most laughable of those that the players are still not fit enough. It doesn't come over as sincere candidness at all but rather sheer desperation and ineptitude. 

Edited by Isa
  • Like 1

I try to largely ignore his media comments so my main worry has been performances and results. But I have to admit that whilst it is incredibly obvious that he doesnt know his best formation it was very surprising to hear him say it to the media.

I mean he bought all these players so surely he had a first eleven and mode of playing in mind during the summer! Baffling approach if he didnt.

It reminds he an awful lot of Lamberts first season. A lot of optimism coming in, if nothing else we couldnt get worse so that meant mid table at a minimum. The reality has been too many players learning their way in a very very very difficult league. Most of the performances havent been great but theyve not been disastrous either. However almost every game has come with at least one goal conceding clanger. That happened almost every game for Lambert season 1 team as well. It was a different person every week (pretty much) so they were spreading the mistakes around but it was all a function of new team and new very unforgiving league.

That year Benteke almost single handedly kept us up by scoring at a similar rate to Messi and Ronaldo in the second half of the season and we JUST stayed up.

Not sure who is going to play that role this year...

Still... long way to go and all that! I guess our strategy will be the same as it is every year. Just hope and pray their are three worse teams.

Edited by villaglint

Signing the number of players we did was always going to cause problems,especially the number of players in key areas that have no prem experience. Personally I think the squad in unbalanced and the central midlfield area is atrocious, losing Delph and Cleverley was a bigger blow than losing Benteke.

Oh crap :(

The most stupid thing about this here is that you normally wouldnt find the right formation and player over 1 game.  You need to give it and them a chance over a few games at least.  He is on a heighten to nothing thinking thats the way to find it!

Plus if you're chopping and changing by your own admission, you're not giving these players the chance to get used to their role in the side.  A system that loses on day 1 might start to win on day 7 when the players are familiar with it, but it won't if you don't give it a chance - and he has admitted there that he won't be giving initially-losing systems a chance to develop.  Being new players to a new league and country is hard enough on its own, but it is made infinitely more difficult when Tim is playing Championship Manager with his line-ups and personnel.  Just as an example, I wonder if Veretout and Ayew are beginning to question what on earth they've let themselves in for.

• Like 4

Â