The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Sacking Sherwood isn't the answer. As for his comments, although I don't agree with him 100% I do find a lot of truth in what he says.

This is virtually a new team, a team without Benteke or Delph, it was always going to take time. Results have been disappointing and the performance was lacking on Saturday, however we have been unlucky with injuries and certain players we're clearly lacking match fitness. The international break my have come at the right time and I'm optimistic that Sherwood can turn this around.

I'm optimistic that Sherwood can turn this around.

I'm not.

I do think that he deserves a bit more time to prove one way or another though. But if we're heading into November and December, where our fixtures get easier, and haven't shown signs of improving, then he has to go. We can't afford to throw away those games too.

If he's our manager in January I'll be very very surprised.

How much is it going to cost us to sack him anyway?

That's the short shortsightedness that is Lerner, he wouldn't authorise the funds to save millions next season.  I will be really surprised if he's booted anytime soon.

If he has anything about him he'll be able to see that we are no better than we were this time last season but with the following caveats also in place now:

• An Inexperienced manger who has yet to face real adversity in his career, tactically clueless and incredibly naive.
  • No potential world class striker to save us.
  • A horror run of fixtures coming up.
  • £50 million spent on players that are deemed not good enough or fit enough to play for the team in October.
  • A hell of a lot of money to lose when he takes us down.

Even with all those points, which are valid, I think we might have to learn to live with him a little longer.

Hope it doesn't come down to a dragged out affair of fans booing, potentially even demonstrating at the ground.  The negativity on the new comers to the league, and new to the country / language will be wholly counter productive.

A comparison.

Sherwood has had 25 games against Premier opposition for Villa, including cups.

Lambert's first 25......won 6...drew 8....lost 11.....scored 27.....conceded 47 (-20)..."26 points " ( if all were League).....39/40 by 38 games

Lambert's last 25....won 5....drew 6.....lost 14.....scored 12....conceded 34 (-22)...."21 points"......32/33 by 38 games

Martin O Neil's first 25....won 5...drew 11...lost 9..scored 25..conceded 34. (-9)...."26 points ".....39/40 by 38 games

Sherwood.....,.................won 9.....drew 2....lost 14...scored 33.... conceded 42...(-9)..." 29 points"...44/45 by 38 games.....

Now things can be argued, different games used etc, different sequences, that will show different results...but there is nothing untrue in the above.

Except that it's wrong.

Sherwood has won 6 games in the PL. Not 9.

Why have you included cup results for Sherwood, but not for the others? Because it makes Sherwood's results look better? You've added 9 points to his tally from games that didn't even yield points.

Here's a true reflection.

Sherwood for Villa in the PL - 21 games, 20 points (6 wins, 2 draws, 13!!! losses) - Averaging less than a point a game with 36 points over the course of a season.

Extremely poor. 12 losses in his first 21 is awful to be honest. Win percentage of 29%. And our worst ever start to a PL season which is dreadful considering the fixtures we had.

As I said it is all games against Premier opposition forall of them I have included cup results for the othets.

Please don't tell I'm a liar. 

Well it is untrue because you dont get points for winning cup games!

I think we should get rid now but I doubt we will

For me he needs a couple of points from the next two games to hang on and needs at least six points from the next five games and a win against Watford

I don't think he will get anything against Chelsea and Swansea though and will be gone by or after the Spurs game

Sadly I think this is the season - Its been coming for too long

A serious question, does anybody actually believe we'll sack him any time soon? We do have a history of hanging onto managers too long.

The difference this time is that it's not just Randy making decisions. Tom Fox, Paddy Riley, and perhaps even the new Sporting Director Henrik Almstadt all sit between Sherwood and Lerner in the hierarchy, and will have Lerner's ear. They will be able to give him a clear report through footballing eyes as to whether he should go or not.

Now's the perfect opportunity to replace Sherwood, If we leave it until later in the season there might not be as many decent Managers available and we'll be in even more trouble than we are now. With some new manager bounce, we might even get some unexpected points from this tough run of fixtures we have coming up, although obviously we have to be thinking longer-term than that.

• Like 1

I think it's remarkable so many people are still turning up to home games, I don't think the club (Randy) realises that.

Those turning up to our home games every week deserve a medal and possibly require medical screening.

As for Sherwood, it's not actually the results that have done it with me, I could live with those of I could see a longer term benefit. Like if I really believed in the manager or what he was trying to do.

For me though the results are one thing but his touch line antics and media comments are what have done it for me.

I can see no reason to think or even hope that things will improve given time, if anything I think he will make things worse.

Looks to me like people are starting to take note.

Aston Villa became the first Premier League club to dip below filling 80% of their stadium capacity this season. The Midlands club, often referred to as a sleeping giant, have struggled to fill Villa Park, apart from their opening game of the season. Results have been poor with the club equal bottom of the league on points.

Round 8 attendances saw an average capacity of 94.7% across the league with 354,427 seats available and 20,962 unfilled. 9,599 of them were at Villa Park.

Sunderland, also equal bottom of the league with Aston Villa and Newcastle United, have also had lower than club average percentages and had 6,068 unfilled seats for their home draw with West Ham – after which manager Dick Advocaat was fired.

Aston Villa and Sunderland between them accounted for more than 75% of the unfilled capacity at Premier League matches this weekend.

At the other end of the attendance table Swansea reported a gate of 45 more than their official capacity.

Chelsea were also at the top of the table of clubs filling theirs grounds with just 156 empty seats amongst a disgruntled home crowd that saw the title holders lose to Southampton.

Arsenal, Bournemouth and Norwich were also all over 99% full.

The Insideworldfootball stats are taken from the club's reported attendance figure. They do not take account of tickets that might have been sold but the ticket holder did not turn up. Also, for some games stadiums will have slightly reduced capacities due to media and safety requirements.

Rd8att Sheet1

Another worrying thing for me is that when a manager has lost the fans in the way Sherwood seems to have done (however unfair anyone might think that is), he usually doesn't recover. 

Lambert did it to an extent after the Bradford debacle, but it didn't last terribly long save for a slight revival at the start of his final season. He never fully regained the trust of many Villa fans. 

It takes a lot of character and managerial skill to win back a restless fanbase and I can't help feeling that Sherwood doesn't have it in him. He's lost the fans, he seems to have slightly lost the plot too, and it will only be a question of time before he's lost the players. Such is the simple psychology of modern football. I'll be very (pleasantly) surprised if Tim can turn this around now. 

Come now. If our squad was as bad as that there'd be no point getting rid of Sherwood. IMO it isn't and there is.

They'll give him two more games max, but they'll be looking for someone else already. Pleez jeezez.

• Like 1

Come now. If our squad was as bad as that there'd be no point getting rid of Sherwood. IMO it isn't and there is.

They'll give him two more games max, but they'll be looking for someone else already. Pleez jeezez.

I don't think Fox will move quickly enough and when he does I have no confidence at all that he can recruit the right person

Ultimately I think Sunderland, Newcastle, WBA, Bournemouth, Watford, Norwich and ourselves will fill the bottom 7 places - we've got to hope we can be better than three of them

It is too early for total doom and gloom but I've just got a bad feeling about how this is all panning out

Edited by VillaCas

Sacking Sherwood isn't the answer.

As for his comments, although I don't agree with him 100% I do find a lot of truth in what he says.

I disagree with all of this 100%. I find it hard to believe anyone could find any truth in what he says. One minute the players aren't good enough, then we need to defend better, then it's a master plan to play terribly in the first half and win the game in the second, now it's the players aren't fit enough.

• Like 1

I'll give him 2 more games to show he can turn this around, but if he comes out with some bullshit like last week then adios. It's not that hard to pick a decent lineup is it and have a go at teams is it? He seemed to be capable of it last year. Now he's trying to be all slick with a 5-3-2 at home to Stoke with no creative players :lol: . Digging his own grave, and I have no sympathy for him. Clearly our best formation as he showed last season is a 4-3-2-1 but I don't think he's even played that once despite having 2 good attacking midfielders (and no N'Zogbia!) and the right box-to-box types to play it. If he gets sacked it's all his own doing. He can't even say he's working on a shoestring budget like Lamebert did. 

edit:

"Lamebert"

best typo ever

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 1

Sacking Sherwood isn't the answer.

As for his comments, although I don't agree with him 100% I do find a lot of truth in what he says.

I disagree with all of this 100%. I find it hard to believe anyone could find any truth in what he says. One minute the players aren't good enough, then we need to defend better, then it's a master plan to play terribly in the first half and win the game in the second, now it's the players aren't fit enough.

We do need to defend better and clearly some of the players weren't fit enough on Saturday. I don't remember him saying that the players aren't good enough?

Â