The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

That old 'players aren't fit enough' chestnut is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

I asked a while back if they were still on double traingin every day? are they? still 9-3 with a session in the afternoon?

If he hasn't managed to get this group "fit" with a full preseason and double training for months then he has no idea what fit is, or they are doing it wrong.

• Like 2

I think we have a really good squad, the best it's been for a few years, bar experienced striker. We just need a manager who can get the best out of us, tempted by Big Sam simply cos he's safe, may be turgid football but we need stability and a foundation for the next two years and then move on. Big Sam can give us that, don't care about the style anymore just winning will do.

Would love Brendon Rodgers too but his team and style requires time which we don't have

As for Sherwood, he seems to have lost the plot, he almost had nothing to lose last year and kept us up, now he really is under spotlight and is crumbling. Seems to want to play his own buys ahead of previous players whilst likes of Clark, Sanchez, Gil and Kozak are overlooked!

Edited by supermon
  • Like 1

I wouldn't sack him yet - our next run of fixtures is so tough that any new manager would struggle anyway.

I also really want Tim to succeed. Its really sad that we (and he) are in this position. If we could just win a couple of games and get ourselves in with pack i.e. away from Newcastle and Sunderland, I think the fans would give him some time. 

The Leicester game has really destroyed everything. 

Despite Chelsea's collapse, that game is still a free hit, so lets hope we can nick something. I really want Tim to survive and continue what he's building.

That being said, I wouldn't complain if we brought in Big Sam, I think he could make us a very effective team which would comfortably finish mid-table for next few years at least. I actually think he has the ability to do more than that to be honest, given the opportunity.

• Like 1

I think Rodgers would offer us the best of both worlds of an Allardyce type and a continental manager . He'd keep us up and in the long term he'd introduce a style that would give the club a bit of an identity. We'd be mad not to be at least trying to tempt him behind the scenes.

Lerner seemed to be pretty tight with Moyes a few years back when we ended up with McLeish. Perhaps a swift managerial change would suit all parties given his current predicament in Spain. I think Moyes was quite open about going abroad to rebuild before getting another job in the PL. Would much preder him over Allardyce.  

In a hopefully-temporary bout of Villa-related pessimism, I think we'll be lucky to get 2 points from our next 5 fixtures.  That'll make the league table look all kinds of roflcopter going into the last week of November.  Imagine having a maximum of 6 points from your first 13 games. Mega gulp. 

Under Lambert we looked useless but he could drag out the odd victory or some draws to keep us above the drop zone , its only right at the end we totally lost it and lost continually and dropped into the drop zone and he was sacked.Sherwood has managed in less than a season to get to the point Lambert was at after 2.5 years !

He has lost confidence in the team already , they 5 man defence is the tactic of a manager scared to lose / doesn't trust his defence.If the defence needs help you play 2 holding midfielders , that still gives you numbers in the middle of the park to control the game.The commentator on the stream I watched from the first minute said 3cbs against one striker (how Stoke set u ) was a waste of a player.

This rubbish now that the players are not fit enough to play his way only damns him more as clearly he didn't get them fit enough in preseason !!

Unless there is a spectacular turn around he will 1) be sacked and 2) find it very tough to be employed as a manager again.

I wouldn't sack him yet - our next run of fixtures is so tough that any new manager would struggle anyway.

Conversly I think that the tough upcoming run would give the new Manager a free month or so because not much is expected. Which makes it the idea time to make a change.

Part of the reason they're in the top five is because they've had an easy game against us. Leicester and Palace won't be anywhere near the top five once the season has finished.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

In the poll the Trent started, 20% think he should not be sacked. I'm really quite surprised its that high to be honest, certainly shows that the fanbase is not totally united in wanting him out.

# I appreciate the poll doesn'tcover or come close to covering the whole fanbase.

We were never in the dropzone under Lambert.  His football may have been dour at the end and people disliked him for their own reasons, but he wasn't as bad as people's perceptions of him and he got better results for Villa with worse players on a tougher remit.

Are you sure about this? Pretty sure in the first season we entered the drop season and can't remember after the Hull game we entered it too. However let's not rewrite history here, they are both shit managers and it's just a symptom of the man sitting at the very top. A rudderless ship that is heading in one direction. I was willing to give Tim time but for me Saturday was abysmal, that first half line up, then to mention post match that the players were boring by not playing forward passes or dropping the shoulder but he leaves Gil out. I honestly believe this guy is on borrowed time and he knows it too, he doesn't even step out of the dugout anymore, this is a sign as with his predecessors a man under pressure. Honestly think he will be gone before December unless results drastically improve.

• Like 1

@TRO

So you tell me....what IS our best team.

Might be difficult for Stefan to answer that given that he didn't  buy all the new players in the team himself.

Did ok with Spurs IMO.....managed to know enough to beat us comfortably

If that's enough recommendation to be the villa manager then most of the managers who've been in the league for the last five seasons qualify.

Talked himself in to the job..... do think that any manager, does anything but talk themselves in to the job, that's what interviewing is about.

Some managers also have their experience and record to recommend them. 

So If you don't know what our best team is ( and I don't.....but I'm not the one criticising the manager) how can you say, he is picking the wrong team;)

Tom fox did not have his arm up his back, he took TS on with no past experience.....he must have seen something, don't you think.

I can say he's picking the wrong team by looking at our results and performances. And anyway, surely the point here is that the team is now full of players that Sherwood bought himself, so surely he should have at least some idea of who his best team is. But he himself had said he doesn't, which leads Mr to suppose two things; either he doesn't know what he's doing, or bought these players with no real plan of how to use them. Neither is a good option.

And no, I know Fox wasn't forced to hire Sherwood, but given that we agree that Sherwood has no experience the logical conclusion is that he talked his way into the job - which was Stefan's original point.

Edited by Villanun

We were never in the dropzone under Lambert.  His football may have been dour at the end and people disliked him for their own reasons, but he wasn't as bad as people's perceptions of him and he got better results for Villa with worse players on a tougher remit.

I think when he was sacked we were in the bottom three. His results over his last 21 league games were diabolical – 12 points and in those 21 games 8 goals scored and runs of 6 league defeats on the spin and 5 league defeats on the spin.

I genuinely have some sympathy for Lambert. He had a decent net spend but it counted for little as he had to reduce the wage bill which had a massive impact on the standard of player he was able to bring in.

Again I have similar sympathy for Sherwood. It gets spouted on here that he has spent 45 mill+ but is rarely mentioned he recouped most of that in sales and with that 45 mill had to replace the 4 best players he inherited in Vlaar, Delph, Cleverley and Benteke. Had we have kept those players given we finished 17th with them I’d argue to give the manager a fighting chance he would have needed 15-20 mill to spend. Like Lambert under Sherwood the wage bill has reduced over the summer.

I said yesterday the problems at this club run way deeper than the manager. That is not to say that McLeish, Lambert and Sherwood haven’t/aren't doing poor jobs. I do though fail to see how any manager under the financial restraints of the last 4 seasons would have had us as anything more than lower third of the table fodder.

Edited by markavfc40

Â