Petitioning for change?

samjp26

Collymore was on the hawskby and Jacobs show on talkshite just after half 3 talking about this, echoed a lot of the comments on here, its a protest against boredom more than anything else, the club should be doing better but ultimately it will achieve knob all and probably wont even have a big enough crowd base taking part to notice.

Edited by Jimzk5

I just don't really understand what the point in the protest is?

Everyone at the club knows we're frustrated, i'm sure the players are frustrated, as is Lambert and Fox.

What are we saying? "Do better 'cos we're fed up?"

I'm sure they're trying.

Trying to do what ? That is why people are fed up , they just don't know .

So what you're protesting for its more spin. Sorry, "better PR"?

Or it could make for a better atmosphere, maybe sink another pint before ko, sing songs on the concourse get a bit of atmosphere going, a empty but audible Holte would be a surreal experience. I must admit I'm kinda disappointed in the it won't do anything pessimism, maybe so but it certainly won't if we do nothing at all.

I think the empty Holte would be brilliant for a meaningful protest.

However, the problems with this one, as have been pointed out, are numerous

1. First and foremost, it's too late, imo. Something like this needs a few weeks to organise. Despite the media attention, I don't think enough people will know about it.

2. Logistics/health and safety. There is no way that Villa Park will allow potentially 14,000 people to all enter the ground at once. it would be mayhem. ANd if people are all trying to get in after 8 minutes, chances are we'll still be filing in at half time.

3. No message. The message still isn't clear. What's the protest? The manager or the owner?

Apparently it's now been clarified as the owner. Ok, what do we want? Him to leave? Well he wants to leave too so that's pointless.

Are we just showing general unhappiness about his tenure? If so then why? Half of his tenure was brilliant. And again it's pointless, there's no end product. He wants to sell the club.

4. Lack of unity. Despite the negativity at the club at the moment, not everyone is willing to protest against it. I'm going tomorrow, in the Holte, and I certainly don't intend to protest. Not because I don't agree with the message (whatever it is) as such, just because I don't think protesting is the right way to go about it and I feel the protest futile as even if it happens it won't result in anything.

Something like this requires everybody to do it. Not everybody will.

I agree that the media attention this has gathered will make it embarrassing when this fails to materialise. but that should be a lesson to the "organisers". Fair play for wanting to do something about where the club is. I'm not against protesting in general.

But if I protest I want to know what I'm protesting for, and I want to know that my protest will do something about the situation. Neither of those things have or will happen tomorrow.

I also have a personal reason why I won't be protesting which isn't really anything to do with the club.

From Moms Facebook,

To recap the Holte End demonstration is in two parts - the second part is as important, but seems to be forgotten!:

Part One - Supporters in the Holte don't take their seats until the 8 minute mark (number of completed seasons under Lerner) have passed to demonstrate what happens to a club that shows little progress or ambition and is flirting with the Championship.

Part Two - A 82 minutes (symbolic of the year of the club's finest hour) demonstration of the best of vocal Villa fan support, backing the team all the way against Liverpool. To show the potential of what it's like to have a club with ambition where Villa supporters give their all because they believe in those running and managing their club.

So it's not a protest then?

Also, I think there's more chance of the holte end being empty than there is of the fans "backing the team all the way"

It has already failed because we are less than 24 hours away and most don't know what is going on or don't care about it so you'll end up with half a dozen people wandering in late and pondering why nobody really gives a damn about what they are trying to do.

PS: Gil scores after 3 minutes, Benteke after 5 minutes ..... how many are still standing out back protesting ?!!!!!!!!

Your post was quite sensible up until the point when you stated that we would score 2 goals in the first 5 minutes then I knew you were a screwball. [emoji1] Edited by pacbuddies
  • Like 1

I think our support is pretty poor generally anyhow -

Really?  Our support away from home is as good as any in the country most certainly in terms of vocally getting behind the team. At home, as I have found when going to most away grounds, then depending on the opposition and magnitude of fixture then vocally our support will fluctuate. More often than not though over the last 27 years I have been a season ticket holder I have found when most needed our support has been excellent.

This last 4 or 5 years has been tough. Results have pretty much consistently been poor and performances dire and for me the fans have been way more patient than I'd ever imagined they would be. You can blame many factions of Aston Villa for our woes be it the owner, the numerous managers, the CEO, the coaches or the players. The fans though are totally blameless.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

Have to say i would prefer the 8 minute clear the stands protest to be the 8 minutes leading up to KO rather than the first 8 minutes when the pattern of play in a match is usually being found... I think this gives Liverpool a massive boost in claiming dominance and thus likely winning the game as a result... Tiny margins and all that. Also it may just throw Liverpools players and give our players an unexpected boost  if we did it that way round and the message would still be the same to the powers that be.  Walking out to an empty Holte end would in my opinion have more impact on the right people and less of an impact on the team.

Then just as KO approaches everyone takes their seat and goes nuts supporting the team (Before all our enthusiasm wains from the boredom rather than expecting a deflated crowd to be bothered enough to all go nuts on 82 mins)

Don't like it though understand everyones anger and frustration of course.

Edited by danceoftheshamen

I think our support is pretty poor generally anyhow -

Really?  Our support away from home is as good as any in the country most certainly in terms of vocally getting behind the team. At home, as I have found when going to most away grounds, then depending on the opposition and magnitude of fixture then vocally our support will fluctuate. More often than not though over the last 27 years I have been a season ticket holder I have found when most needed our support has been excellent.

This last 4 or 5 years has been tough. Results have pretty much consistently been poor and performances dire and for me the fans have been way more patient than I'd ever imagined they would be. You can blame many factions of Aston Villa for our woes be it the owner, the numerous managers, the CEO, the coaches or the players. The fans though are totally blameless.

absolutely spot on Mark....I feel desperately sorry for the fans, they are totally blameless and have for some time now been short changed....Their patience has been phenomenal

• Like 2

I agree with almost all of your posts TRO, but not this one. I don't think our patience is phenomenal at all. I think it's pretty poor tbh. (And that's including me btw - I'm not pinpointing certain people here)

In the grand scheme of things we don't support a bad football team at all. In the 20 or so years I've supported villa we've always been in the top league, played in Europe, won a couple of cups etc. Ok, it's been dreadful for the past 4 years, really dreadful but it's been a damn sight better than most teams in England. It appears bad because it is us, and we are in the thick of it, but let me just take 3 teams who are supported by close relatives: Bolton, Leicester and Doncaster. Trust me, they've had it bleaker, for a lot lot lot longer.

We have this big club attitude where expectations are high, and when those expectations aren't met, we put silly little protests together, or start swinging from the gate to voice our opinion over a manager we don't like the sound of.

Now, you can apply this to any football fan really because I don't believe any is patient really.

Football fans put up with some shite all over the world. Our shite that we've had to put up with is minor compared to the vast majority of the globe.

• Like 2

I think our support is pretty poor generally anyhow - the second part just won't happen.

Couldn't disagree more. Our away support is fantastic. Taking 4000 away to Burnley after an horrendous set of results shows that. I don't think we're bad at home considering the poor performances. There are plenty attempts to get behind the team even when they aren't giving us much back.

• Like 2

Or it could make for a better atmosphere, maybe sink another pint before ko, sing songs on the concourse get a bit of atmosphere going, a empty but audible Holte would be a surreal experience. I must admit I'm kinda disappointed in the it won't do anything pessimism, maybe so but it certainly won't if we do nothing at all.

I think the empty Holte would be brilliant for a meaningful protest.

However, the problems with this one, as have been pointed out, are numerous

1. First and foremost, it's too late, imo. Something like this needs a few weeks to organise. Despite the media attention, I don't think enough people will know about it.

2. Logistics/health and safety. There is no way that Villa Park will allow potentially 14,000 people to all enter the ground at once. it would be mayhem. ANd if people are all trying to get in after 8 minutes, chances are we'll still be filing in at half time.

3. No message. The message still isn't clear. What's the protest? The manager or the owner?

Apparently it's now been clarified as the owner. Ok, what do we want? Him to leave? Well he wants to leave too so that's pointless.

Are we just showing general unhappiness about his tenure? If so then why? Half of his tenure was brilliant. And again it's pointless, there's no end product. He wants to sell the club.

4. Lack of unity. Despite the negativity at the club at the moment, not everyone is willing to protest against it. I'm going tomorrow, in the Holte, and I certainly don't intend to protest. Not because I don't agree with the message (whatever it is) as such, just because I don't think protesting is the right way to go about it and I feel the protest futile as even if it happens it won't result in anything.

Something like this requires everybody to do it. Not everybody will.

I agree that the media attention this has gathered will make it embarrassing when this fails to materialise. but that should be a lesson to the "organisers". Fair play for wanting to do something about where the club is. I'm not against protesting in general.

But if I protest I want to know what I'm protesting for, and I want to know that my protest will do something about the situation. Neither of those things have or will happen tomorrow.

I also have a personal reason why I won't be protesting which isn't really anything to do with the club.

From Moms Facebook,

To recap the Holte End demonstration is in two parts - the second part is as important, but seems to be forgotten!:

Part One - Supporters in the Holte don't take their seats until the 8 minute mark (number of completed seasons under Lerner) have passed to demonstrate what happens to a club that shows little progress or ambition and is flirting with the Championship.

Part Two - A 82 minutes (symbolic of the year of the club's finest hour) demonstration of the best of vocal Villa fan support, backing the team all the way against Liverpool. To show the potential of what it's like to have a club with ambition where Villa supporters give their all because they believe in those running and managing their club.

OK.... I can absolutely get on board with that with one slight tweak.

Everyone comes in as usual. For the first 8 minutes total silence. Not a word, chant or cheer. The next 82? Go absolutely mental regardless of the result get the place absolutely rocking.

So much more powerful to have people there doing nothing rather than everyone having a beer in the concourse.

I think our support is pretty poor generally anyhow - the second part just won't happen.

Couldn't disagree more. Our away support is fantastic. Taking 4000 away to Burnley after an horrendous set of results shows that. I don't think we're bad at home considering the poor performances. There are plenty attempts to get behind the team even when they aren't giving us much back.

I agree our away support is top drawer. You could well here them chanting "Lambert out" and  "you don't know wht your doing" last week against Leicester. ;)

PS: Gil scores after 3 minutes, Benteke after 5 minutes ..... how many are still standing out back protesting ?!!!!!!!!

The Victoria Secrets models are in the Holte End giving out blozzers, beer and free money....how many are still standing out back protesting!?

None, but it's equally as likely.

• Like 2

I agree with almost all of your posts TRO, but not this one. I don't think our patience is phenomenal at all. I think it's pretty poor tbh. (And that's including me btw - I'm not pinpointing certain people here)

In the grand scheme of things we don't support a bad football team at all. In the 20 or so years I've supported villa we've always been in the top league, played in Europe, won a couple of cups etc. Ok, it's been dreadful for the past 4 years, really dreadful but it's been a damn sight better than most teams in England. It appears bad because it is us, and we are in the thick of it, but let me just take 3 teams who are supported by close relatives: Bolton, Leicester and Doncaster. Trust me, they've had it bleaker, for a lot lot lot longer.

We have this big club attitude where expectations are high, and when those expectations aren't met, we put silly little protests together, or start swinging from the gate to voice our opinion over a manager we don't like the sound of.

Now, you can apply this to any football fan really because I don't believe any is patient really.

Football fans put up with some shite all over the world. Our shite that we've had to put up with is minor compared to the vast majority of the globe.

woody everything is relative and fine i respect your opinion. However I'm not fussed about other folks problems ....we have our own share.

I was relating my comments for the period since O'Neill left where the standard of football and the results have been appalling. I was never completely sold on him, but the results were respectable, particularly away from home.

I have always had a high regard for Villa Fans as a whole, sure there are exceptions.

Aston Villa is potentially a big club and if it run correctly we can expect to be in the top half of the league

• Like 1

Â