Petitioning for change?

samjp26

This was the weirdest thing. I looked around at 8 minutes and saw about 15 people walking back to their seats. 

Thought it would be a damp squib, and it was. 

Stupidest protest idea ever in the history of protests. 

• Like 1

I'd say there was about 100 people going to their seats after 8 minutes in the whole of the holte. Quite funny really.

The guy next to me put it best

"I've made a 200 mile round trip so if they think I'm missing 8 minutes they can **** off"

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

The atmosphere was very good yesterday but as I have said previously the support in the main is always good. The fans and the support they give is not, and never has been, an issue for concern at this club. If anything especially away from home then we are a great example to how supporters should be and put many other clubs to shame.

As for those looking to protest be it yesterday or going forward then my opinion is you pays your money you takes your choice and even if I don't agree with you then I will defend your right to do it. Anyone who protests is only doing it for what they believe is the good of the club and I can't fault anyone for that.  Clearly though yesterdays planned protest was either arranged in too short a time or was simply an idea that many were not willing to part in be it because they didn't want to miss the first 8 minutes of the game or because they didn't agree with the reason for the protest. For what it is worth I think it probably didn't go as well as some hoped it would due to the first two reasons.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

This was the weirdest thing. I looked around at 8 minutes and saw about 15 people walking back to their seats. 

You miss the point, it got the media's attention and the spotlight will be on Lerner/Lambert and the shit they are putting us through.

It may have got the media attention before the protest. It may have got the media attention after, not necessarily for the same reason or the reason some would hope for

Although I was not adverse to protesting in Ellis's time, I didn't agree with yesterday's as I felt it was embarrassing and I'll conceived. However, It did get us back in headlines, albeit for the wrong reasons. Perversley despite being a total flop, the publicity alone, may have had an Impact on Lerners attitude.

• Like 2

You miss the point, it got the media's attention and the spotlight will be on Lerner/Lambert and the shit they are putting us through.

So? A few newspapers are saying we're fed up. What difference does it make? Do you think Randy is going to change the way the club is run because of a few newspaper articles?

You are right, I miss the point... I don't understand what the end goal is? What do people want to change? 

• Like 1

As stupid as many of the protest ideas have been, I'm not entirely against the idea of a protest. But it needs to fit these two points:

1- It needs to be a protest that is clearly against something that the majority of us agree on, and can make a difference (eg: asking Lerner to leave is pointless, as he wants that too).

2 - It needs to be planned properly, and needs to be planned in time to get everyone on board and to DO it.

Just saying "in 2 weeks time we're doing THIS" is ridiculous. If, however, someone said "we're going to print thousands of '£' signs, and hand them out to the fans in the WBA home game in 5-6 weeks, in protest to Lerner not funding Villa properly lately and not dropping the asking price to sell to an owner who cares", then I think it would be more successful, and more people would be on board.

One other thing. I'm sure there were many people yesterday who dismissed the protest simply because they didn't want to miss 8 minutes of a match they're paying for, and also because they knew the possible safety implications of hundreds of people trying to get to their seats in the same minute.

• Like 1

I agree with everything Rob has said.

The protest idea yesterday completely divided the fans from the word go. It was never going to be any good. A clear message is needed with a protest ie, £ signs. 

Edited by PieFacE

As stupid as many of the protest ideas have been, I'm not entirely against the idea of a protest. But it needs to fit these two points:

1- It needs to be a protest that is clearly against something that the majority of us agree on, and can make a difference (eg: asking Lerner to leave is pointless, as he wants that too).

2 - It needs to be planned properly, and needs to be planned in time to get everyone on board and to DO it.

Just saying "in 2 weeks time we're doing THIS" is ridiculous. If, however, someone said "we're going to print thousands of '£' signs, and hand them out to the fans in the WBA home game in 5-6 weeks, in protest to Lerner not funding Villa properly lately and not dropping the asking price to sell to an owner who cares", then I think it would be more successful, and more people would be on board.

One other thing. I'm sure there were many people yesterday who dismissed the protest simply because they didn't want to miss 8 minutes of a match they're paying for, and also because they knew the possible safety implications of hundreds of people trying to get to their seats in the same minute.

Rightly or wrongly, asking fans to miss a chunk of the game instantly gets a protest off to a terrible start by asking people to make a judgement that is, for them, a big one to make. I can only presume there were thousands of people on the Holte End yesterday (including me) who are as angry as those who protested. But they didn't - I think you've outlined the reasons why they didn't.

I was just listening to Saturday's 606. The host (Jason Mohammed) is/was a total tool. 

Hyped up the protest massively claiming 500 fans took their seats left and then blamed Villa fans for the situation saying we "just need to get RL out of the club" 

Yes mate. Well done. Thanks for your advice. Got the spare £150m asking price knocking around? No? Anyone? 

Prick. 

Â