The ISIS threat to Europe

Ads

19 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

2 separate attacks in 2 days in Nigeria for the record. both bomb attacks on markets.

The media do not care about Nigeria though

Not a big enough country to warrant getting on the front page of a western tabloid

Edited by AshVilla

27 minutes ago, penguin said:

Where on earth have you pulled this from? Demi has said, and rightly so IMO, that 'culture' isn't an excuse for booing a minutes silence in respect to the innocent people slaughtered. It's nothing to do with not being able to not being able to comprehend that people have different cultures.

FFS, it's obviously going over your head as well.

From the explanation given by the Turkish writer, it was explained they were not booing the silence in a way that THEY considered

offensive to the French or to decry the terrible thing that had happened in Paris.

They were demonstrating their grief/anger/displeasure/condemnation in a way that is normal in their culture.

if I went to an English restaurant and started smashing plates, I'd probably get arrested.

if I went to a Greek restaurant and did the same thing, I'd be having a celebration and people would join in.

Different cultures do and see things differently.

I know it's a crap analogy, but it's the simplest I can think of.

vive la difference.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

The media do not care about Nigeria though

Not a big enough country to warrant getting on the front page of a western tabloid

Most of us may have sympathy for them, but if we are brutilly honest.....................................Do we care.

7 minutes ago, andyh said:

FFS, it's obviously going over your head as well.

From the explanation given by the Turkish writer, it was explained they were not booing the silence in a way that THEY considered

offensive to the French or to decry the terrible thing that had happened in Paris.

They were demonstrating their grief/anger/displeasure/condemnation in a way that is normal in their culture.

if I went to an English restaurant and started smashing plates, I'd probably get arrested.

if I went to a Greek restaurant and did the same thing, I'd be having a celebration and people would join in.

Different cultures do and see things differently.

I know it's a crap analogy, but it's the simplest I can think of.

vive la difference.

It's not going over my head at all and those are terrible examples not even remotely comparable to respecting a minutes silence. If what they did was so 'normal' and not disrespectful  then why has their coach condemned their actions? Some people seem to have a compulsion to find an excuse for everything.

Is anyone else worried that they decided to target a football match? I go to loads of sporting events all round the world and the thought of a threat being at the next one crossed my mind. 

I know standard operating procedure is to carry on, as to change is to let the terrorists win. I know the odds are low that I will get caught up. However I know it will be in my head next time I travel to a game.

They'll have targeted football and other sporting events before now. Terrorists want people watching, sporting events represent a perfect opportunity to cause a horrifying event to be seen by potentially millions, and catching absolutely everyone unaware. All Paris changed is that they got close to succeeding.

I wouldn't worry.

11 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Is anyone else worried that they decided to target a football match? I go to loads of sporting events all round the world and the thought of a threat being at the next one crossed my mind. 

I know standard operating procedure is to carry on, as to change is to let the terrorists win. I know the odds are low that I will get caught up. However I know it will be in my head next time I travel to a game.

even more reason to stop attending villa park. its brilliant, we dont have to  worry about showing disloyalty now we can just blame it on the terrorists.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Straggler said:

I think it will be in the vast majority of peoples minds the next time they step foot in a stadium to some extent or other. 

I think the only surprise in all this is that its taken so long for someone to try it, they are relatively soft targets after all oh and the other surprise I guess is how badly they messed it up in Paris.

Let's not be silly, the Turkish fans were clearly being knobs last night.

The players and officials were making it quite clear it was meant to be a silence.

Didn't somebody saying there way of observing a silence is to boo the perpetrators. A silence!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, YGabbana said:

https://www.rt.com/news/322488-nigeria-market-blast-yola/

R.I.P to the victims, Boko Haram have probably killed just as many as ISIS in Africa.

Minutes silence and complete media coverage? I doubt it.

They are all Tragic for loss of life. The only thing I'd say to people here and in the press making this point is people tend to associate more with closer to home e.g Paris only an hour or so away from home and many of us on this forum will have visited the City at some stage.

Less so Nigeria and Yemen, not trying to dismiss it, that's just the reality. 

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Indeed. How did a couple of refugees afford a bar so quickly? 

Mossad gave them the money and then gave them a crash course in militant Islam...

More seriously I've not seen the story but it wouldn't be that shocking. A lot of the guys that have joined IS and the like are actually from lapsed or straight up largely irreligious Muslim backgrounds. They are disillusioned and the extremist discourse basically says 'Heres a cause, makes something of your life, make a difference' and suddenly they're fundamentalists. Then owning a bar wouldn't be completely out of the question.

5 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

So you're saying they have to conform to our cultural way of doing things?

As a general point not aimed at anyone, I think it will be quite some time before 'english football fans' (if we are going for grand stereotypes) can claim any moral high ground on respect.

Its not our way is it? If you go around the globe when a tragedy happens most people either fall silent or will do a minute applause. So I dont understand why your pointing as just a UK thing? No excuse for it in my view

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

Mossad gave them the money and then gave them a crash course in militant Islam...

More seriously I've not seen the story but it wouldn't be that shocking. A lot of the guys that have joined IS and the like are actually from lapsed or straight up largely irreligious Muslim backgrounds. They are disillusioned and the extremist discourse basically says 'Heres a cause, makes something of your life, make a difference' and suddenly they're fundamentalists. Then owning a bar wouldn't be completely out of the question.

Indeed. It seems a common theme with Western Jihadists, they drink, drugs, crime, prison and then they find a different path, or are found and taken down one. One that gives them self respect, self worth, respect of their peers, a purpose, belonging all the things they've probably lacked all their life and we sadly know where it leads.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Do we care.

When it's ordinary Joe just getting on with it, we should, wherever they are.

Attacks on Russian airliners, Palestinian hospitals, Israeli bus stations and Kenyan Universities reek of cowardice.

Take your argument to the people who make the decisions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Indeed. It seems a common theme with Western Jihadists, they drink, drugs, crime, prison and then they find a different path, or are found and taken down one. One that gives them self respect, self worth, respect of their peers, a purpose, belonging all the things they've probably lacked all their life and we sadly know where it leads.

I'd imagine it's very much part of the recruitment considerations. "Who do we know who has a dodgy past and therefore knows will struggle to find acceptance in mainstream Muslim life? It'd be even better if they didn't really understand the scriptures so we can manipulate them effectively. Oh and I bet the thought of guns and explosives will be a big attraction to them, although I'm sure the virgins in heaven will interest them too".

Â