Assistant manager

David-Copenhagen

it seems the club see a DOF as being more of a priority than an AM. I think we need both quickly. Give Graham Taylor a call on Friday and then talk to him about bringing in an assistant manager to work alongside both him and our present manager. Its not rocket science and if either appointment causes upset to someone at VP so be it!  

I wouldn't want GT as DOF, I had a chat with ihm at the newsagents in Mere Green a good few years ago and after that "interview" I just wouldn't ;)

Seriously though, I don't think he's of the right era, as much as I loved GT1, I was down the ground loads at that point, taking us up and finishing second was great (even though we should have won the title, I still don't forgive for Cascarino). GT 2 proved he wans't at the aces anymore tactics wise and a good DOF should be imposing a style of play from first team to youth teams, and get players who are gettable and can play it.

I would have liked to have seen Houllier as DOF as soon as he had to take a step back. I think him as DOF and GMac as head coach would have performed better than McLeish.

Anyway, Lambert needs an assistant, hopefully that's on the cards asap but it seems there's been zero rumours so who knows.

"I still don't forgive for Cascarino". Nor do I romavillan but GT wanted Sherringham and our chairman gave him Cascarinno because he was cheaper and his club were less reluctant to sell him than they were Teddy. I think GT still has his finger on the football pulse but he calls it like it is as he did when he left the second time around so I doubt the club would risk appointing someone who might not always say "yes".   

'Aston Villa are ready to redifine the much maligned 'Director of Football' role with new appointment. The articles says duties will include stuff like sports medicine, data analysis and athletic performance. Which basically means that we aren't going to employ a DOF at all, as far as I can work out.

• Like 1

The MailOnline reports Villa as being interested in “bringing in Watford sporting director Luke Dowling” as they look to “restructure of the hierarchy of the club”.

Apparently Dowling has only been at Watford since September 2014, and was previously at Leeds in a consultancy capacity - in May 2014 he turned down the chance to become Sporting Director with them.

When he joined Watford his role was described by the Club as:

·         Working with the CEO to help give a truly all-encompassing feel to recruitment methods.

·          Working closely with the Head Coach to continually shape and perfect the balance of the first-team squad.

·         Adding an extra dimension and focus on the domestic market.

(The reason I quote this is because personally I have no idea exactly what a Sporting Director / Director of Football actually does).

Of course the fact that the MailOnline say Villa are interested doesn't mean we will get him, but perhaps it gives a pointer to the Club’s intentions.

The MailOnline reports Villa as being interested in “bringing in Watford sporting director Luke Dowling” as they look to “restructure of the hierarchy of the club”.

Apparently Dowling has only been at Watford since September 2014, and was previously at Leeds in a consultancy capacity - in May 2014 he turned down the chance to become Sporting Director with them.

·         Working with the CEO to help give a truly all-encompassing feel to recruitment methods.

·          Working closely with the Head Coach to continually shape and perfect the balance of the first-team squad.

(The reason I quote this is because personally I have no idea exactly what a Sporting Director / Director of Football actually does).

Of course the fact that the MailOnline say Villa are interested doesn't mean we will get him, but perhaps it gives a pointer to the Club’s intentions.

Sounds like a right load of bollocks to me!!

Sounds like a right load of bollocks to me!!

Why?

That's a very 1990's opinion IMO. The modern game calls for it.  

I wouldn't have thought whether or not we hire an Assistant Coach is Lambert's decision. Curious that we haven't hired one, gives me hope that perhaps Lerner doesn't think it's worth it because he's still hopeful of a takeover sooner than later, I know we've signed players but that's different.

Edited by useless

Â