Assistant manager

David-Copenhagen

So selfish of Lambert not to get a assistant in yet. Maybe half the problem, a goalkeeping coach is not gonna help you score goals.

Selfish? That's a strange assumption to reach. Explain.

Thinks maybe he can do it all himself and don't need any help.

So selfish of Lambert not to get a assistant in yet. Maybe half the problem, a goalkeeping coach is not gonna help you score goals.

I understood what you were intimating, I've been playing these games much longer than you :)

Explain to me how you have reached that conclusion.

I understood what you were intimating, I've been playing these games much longer than you :)

Maybe he just likes to do it his own way. Conspiricy theorists would say he may have forced the hand of previous assistant managers due to no one agreeing with his tactics or coaching methods. I personally think there is no disipline in Lambert's methods, shows on the pitch for me in the vast inconsistances of our performances.

The MailOnline reports Villa as being interested in “bringing in Watford sporting director Luke Dowling” as they look to “restructure of the hierarchy of the club”.

Apparently Dowling has only been at Watford since September 2014, and was previously at Leeds in a consultancy capacity - in May 2014 he turned down the chance to become Sporting Director with them.

When he joined Watford his role was described by the Club as:

·         Working with the CEO to help give a truly all-encompassing feel to recruitment methods.

·          Working closely with the Head Coach to continually shape and perfect the balance of the first-team squad.

·         Adding an extra dimension and focus on the domestic market.

(The reason I quote this is because personally I have no idea exactly what a Sporting Director / Director of Football actually does).

Of course the fact that the MailOnline say Villa are interested doesn't mean we will get him, but perhaps it gives a pointer to the Club’s intentions.

Sounds like a right load of bollocks to me!!

Why?

That's a very 1990's opinion IMO. The modern game calls for it.  

The less Lambert has to do at the club is surely a positive. Get more coaches in.. as well. Bring in Laursen to help the defenders.. Taylor to help the midfielders and Yorke to help the strikers. 

Maybe he just likes to do it his own way. Conspiricy theorists would say he may have forced the hand of previous assistant managers due to no one agreeing with his tactics or coaching methods. I personally think there is no disipline in Lambert's methods, shows on the pitch for me in the vast inconsistances of our performances.

So you have no idea how you've reached that conclusion? You should have just said that in the first place.

Mike Phelan has been appointed assistant at Hull.

Shame, he'd have been a good appointment here, and probably would have been up for it if he's happy to go to Hull

He mates with Bruce from United days so thats probably why he went

How do you judge an assistant ? I mean a good assistant as it's clear out previous ones were not too good.

I mean Just because Phelan was with Fergie a while does not make him a good assistant ?

Although right now ANY word be an improvement surely ?

Edited by dounavilla

So you have no idea how you've reached that conclusion? You should have just said that in the first place.

Well he is not in any rush to fill the postion is he. Surely, if he worked well with an assistant, I think he would have one in by now. He is obviously happy struggling in his own way.

We are not going to get rid of Lambert then the next best thing is to get an assistant in to try and pick the team up. Anyone with a bit of a strong character and a decent past in football, Paul Jewels available, no one else springs to mind

It's not exactly on the face of it a great job opportunity is it?

Who ever goes in no matter what Lambert, Lerner, Fox tell them, they've got to be thinking that it could well be a short lived role.

Whether Lambert should still be in charge or not aside, very very few managers if any would have lasted this long at any other club.

Unless you've got no other option or happy with short term would you take a job where you may have lost it in 5 months or less? and it won't even be down to your performance in the role.

Lerner has probably told Lambert that he has to work with what he's got in terms of coaches because Lerner is hoping stumble along with as little outlay as possible until he manages to sell the club.

• Like 1

maybe nobody wants to work with lambert? or maybe nobody wants to work at a relegated club?

when mclaren worked under fergie he looked good, once he had to stand on his own to feet we all saw how inept he was

maybe nobody wants to work with lambert? or maybe nobody wants to work at a relegated club?

when mclaren worked under fergie he looked good, once he had to stand on his own to feet we all saw how inept he was

McClaren is far from inept. I see Boro went from strength to strength once they were rid of him... International management is a different kettle. At club level he has done OK if not spectacular, won a fair bit considering and is at the very least a good coach. We'd be lucky to nab him.

Â